Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Interesting info on K&N filters  (Read 7409 times)

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
Re: Interesting info on K&N filters
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2008, 11:39:13 AM »
Ive used K&N on my 660 and now my 700 with a prefilter. Everytime i clean it(which is after every ride) because of extremely dusty conditions, I use a white towel and wipe inside of the intake as far as i can reach. It has always come out clean. They may not be the best application on cars/trucks in dusty conditions as most don't use a prefilter on the street. Until i see some proof inside the intake of dust or dirt getting by ill continue to use one.   Very good read though. :thumbs:

I did the same thing after a long weekend riding out in ocotillo wells.....rag was clean. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2008, 11:55:16 AM »
Ive used K&N on my 660 and now my 700 with a prefilter. Everytime i clean it(which is after every ride) because of extremely dusty conditions, I use a white towel and wipe inside of the intake as far as i can reach. It has always come out clean. They may not be the best application on cars/trucks in dusty conditions as most don't use a prefilter on the street. Until i see some proof inside the intake of dust or dirt getting by ill continue to use one.   Very good read though. :thumbs:

I did the same thing after a long weekend riding out in ocotillo wells.....rag was clean. 

Youll be suprised at the amount of grit on the piston. Just because the intake run is clean does'nt mean nothing got past.

Next time out put a thin coat of filter oil on the inside of the intake tube.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline jwraptor

• Street Cred: 0
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2008, 11:56:15 AM »
I clean mine when we get back from racing then I will spray it before we go racing that way the filter oil is fresh and not dry.

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2008, 11:57:25 AM »

Youll be suprised at the amount of grit on the piston. Just because the intake run is clean does'nt mean nothing got past.

I'll try that.  But I don't ride in as much dust as ocotillo wells anymore.   :(
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2008, 03:11:29 PM »

I know when I tore my rappy apart last fall, there was dirt inside the intake from the foam filter too.. I think a filter is only as good as the person taking care of it.  :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline 1raptor

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2008, 03:32:29 PM »
I know when I tore my rappy apart last fall, there was dirt inside the intake from the foam filter too.. I think a filter is only as good as the person taking care of it.  :)

Now there is a comment I can agree with
will the new 2010 camaro ever get here??

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2008, 03:34:51 PM »
id say foam filters for dusty conditions and k&n for non dusty conditions (like mine :clap:)

Offline thatguy

• Email
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2008, 03:43:58 PM »
my opinion is k&n is a safe filter for one thing and one thing only street cars and trucks or racing anything on pavement

Offline 1raptor

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2008, 04:40:41 PM »
my opinion is k&n is a safe filter for one thing and one thing only street cars and trucks or racing anything on pavement

ummm arent you listing a K&N in your sig???
will the new 2010 camaro ever get here??

Offline preddy08

• MD's baby momma
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 28
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2008, 05:28:32 PM »

You know the old saying, "Do as I say, not as I do"  LOLOLOLOLOL
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Offline thatguy

• Email
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2008, 10:33:46 PM »

ya and i hate running it but guess what when your 16 and cant get a job and pay for your own shit somehow you gotta go with what ya got....ya dig what i say? :)

Offline kyledvor61

• Mini Mini Ho
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 17
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2008, 10:59:49 PM »

ya and i hate running it but guess what when your 16 and cant get a job and pay for your own shit somehow you gotta go with what ya got....ya dig what i say? :)

a uni filter is like $50 :confused:

Offline Bert

• Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2008, 11:03:57 PM »
Just add that to the cost of a rebuild  :lol:

Offline Kenny

• Engine Guru
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 8
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2008, 10:13:06 PM »
There is a pretty simple rule to follow. A filter that flows more passes more dirt. After doing about 220 TB's now, I can always tell who over cleans their filter(long term)..... The TB will have oily residue, and the throttle shaft will be worn from the excess oil causing grit to cling to moving parts. The best thing you can do is let the K&N stay a little dirty since the dirt will start to act as a filter medium. I worked on dirt track cars for years and have nothing good to say about foam, except we found that it works best on a parts shelf rather than on a car. The best filter medium by far is synthetic, whether it be for air or oil. It is far superior in flow restriction vs dirt passed. I just don't have time to seek the proper ones out for this application until I get some of my other projects finished.  The only reasonable option is using the K&N, and not over cleaning it. The dirty filter actually allows less dirt to pass, and has a better flow vs dirt passed ratio than foam. I guess I am telling you guys to stop servicing your ATV to death :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2008, 10:32:38 PM »
There is a pretty simple rule to follow. A filter that flows more passes more dirt. After doing about 220 TB's now, I can always tell who over cleans their filter(long term)..... The TB will have oily residue, and the throttle shaft will be worn from the excess oil causing grit to cling to moving parts. The best thing you can do is let the K&N stay a little dirty since the dirt will start to act as a filter medium. I worked on dirt track cars for years and have nothing good to say about foam, except we found that it works best on a parts shelf rather than on a car. The best filter medium by far is synthetic, whether it be for air or oil. It is far superior in flow restriction vs dirt passed. I just don't have time to seek the proper ones out for this application until I get some of my other projects finished.  The only reasonable option is using the K&N, and not over cleaning it. The dirty filter actually allows less dirt to pass, and has a better flow vs dirt passed ratio than foam. I guess I am telling you guys to stop servicing your ATV to death :thumbs:

Makes sense. I'm good to go, mine is always dirty as $hit!  :rofl:  Karma pour vous.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"