Author Topic: Crank  (Read 8684 times)

Offline Troy

• Bear Wrassler
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 11
    • Email
Re: Crank
« Reply #105 on: January 12, 2009, 07:07:08 PM »
It's a piece of cake guys.  If you are like me you do it once for yourself, you end up doing it for your buddies too.  With that being said it's worth the two special tools you need to buy imho.  I bought a crankcase splitter and a stator puller tool from Rocky Mountain Atv.  The crank splitter was about 50 bucks and I wouldn't split a case without one even though the manual says you can.  I also use this tool to press the crank out of the case.  The stator tool is about 32 bucks and you can have your local shop do it for you for about the same price as the tool.  It was worth it to me to own the tools for future projects.  As far as an easy way to stay organized, I use big ziplock bags to organize all my stuff when tearing down.  One bag will hold the stator, gears, and all bolts etc. on the left side, another bag for the right side, bag for the topend stuff, bag for the bottom end and splitting the cases.  I use little bags to put into the big bags too when I want to keep little stuff together.  I usually label the bags when I know the motor will be down for an extended period of time also.  My best advice is take your time and don't get in a hurry and it's not a big deal at all.  The first one I did for my bike I was super stressed waiting on parts to get overnighted and had a ride to make, long story short I got the motor built last minute, tossed it in and went racing hoping for the best.  It worked out just fine but it was pretty stressful hauling ass to make it in time.  When you have no timeline it's easy money :thumbs:

Offline Troy

• Bear Wrassler
  • Ninjas
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2009, 07:09:02 PM »
And yes the Rod and bearing come with the crankcase ready to go, no assembly needed, just install the crank and life is good.

Offline 1badazz_700r

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2009, 03:28:16 AM »
Thanks troy very good write up :thumbs:

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »
+1 on the ziploc bags and labeling them.. I did that when I tore my bike completely down. I had bags labeled for what they were saved me so much tim ein the process of putting it all back together!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline digitalhearing

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2009, 10:37:09 PM »
Troy, thanks for the writeup.  I'd love to tare a 700 down myself and install a crank.  It really can't be that bad.

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline Troy

• Bear Wrassler
  • Ninjas
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
Grant once you do it you won't believe how easy it was.  These motors are my favorite by far to tear into and rebuild.  After doing a 450 this thing is great!

Offline digitalhearing

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2009, 06:47:00 AM »
Very cool, I have all the confidence in the world taring down the head and replacing the piston.  I watched a couple of times and then have done the last 3 on my own.  Next I should try the crank------- it's definately a mental block I have to work through  :)

Grant
This Forum Rocks !

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:33 AM »
Very cool, I have all the confidence in the world taring down the head and replacing the piston.  I watched a couple of times and then have done the last 3 on my own.  Next I should try the crank------- it's definately a mental block I have to work through  :)

Grant

I think a lot of people are in that exact same boat Grant. :thumbs:  I know I didn't want to do the piston on my rappy, never torn into the engine before. Always a scary thing, but I've helped my bro do his motor before. All you need is a copy of the manual. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once