Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Went fishing this weekend  (Read 1879 times)

Offline shookie

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
Re: Went fishing this weekend
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 05:42:29 PM »
To some people this fish may not be that special, but for us, this is one of them once a year catfish we catch (they are usually half the size) :lol:

It was only 7 pounds, but that is a pretty good cat rod and reel fishing for the rivers around here! We are gonna try running diddy poles this summer so hopefully that will get us some WAY bigger then this one!  :thumbs:

Are you guys allowed to trot line or jug fish?

We take old bleach bottles, add some nylon line, hook, and bait. I spray paint the tops in florescent colors so they are easier to spot. I dump them up river, and go fish for striper for a while in a tributary. I give it a few hours and go check them. I've had some catfish on so big they take the jugs down and make them hard to find.....They pop back up here and there. It's wild!!!

~Brian
You cant in Iowa it sucks i have 50 jugs and cant use the damn things.
2008 Raptor 700r SE
Hmf Ballance(black), PCV, Pro Design Foam,Maxxis razr 2 all the way around, Pro Taper SE Raptor Bend, ASV Levers, odi ROUGE lock on grips, Tusk Billet gas cap, Dr. D Reverse Lever, Rock A-arm guards, Rock nerfs
I Reject Your Reality And Substitute My Own

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2009, 01:05:33 PM »
That's a bummer!

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline kdanderson5

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2009, 08:28:30 AM »
To some people this fish may not be that special, but for us, this is one of them once a year catfish we catch (they are usually half the size) :lol:

It was only 7 pounds, but that is a pretty good cat rod and reel fishing for the rivers around here! We are gonna try running diddy poles this summer so hopefully that will get us some WAY bigger then this one!  :thumbs:

Are you guys allowed to trot line or jug fish?

We take old bleach bottles, add some nylon line, hook, and bait. I spray paint the tops in florescent colors so they are easier to spot. I dump them up river, and go fish for striper for a while in a tributary. I give it a few hours and go check them. I've had some catfish on so big they take the jugs down and make them hard to find.....They pop back up here and there. It's wild!!!

~Brian

My bad! I havent been on for awhile. I have had to actually work at work lately :(

Like shookie said, we cant do that in Iowa, but we are making diddy poles to set up in a few weeks. We got all the supplies on Sunday for it and we are making them this coming weekend, and putting them out in two or three weeks. Iowa has some pretty gay laws about hunting and fishing. We are not suppose to use blue gills as bait either, but that is what works best on dids around here, so we may try and sneak some in anyways, or just use some big creek chubs if we get some decent sized ones. We threw our trap out for them Sunday also so we will give it a week and see what we got for chubs.  :thumbs:

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2009, 09:52:45 AM »
We use a net to catch shad (baitfish) and use those. Blues and Flatheads love those!!! Too bad you can't use jugs. It's a lazy way to fish, but it makes it super easy. :lol:

Either way...Crappie are spawning, and the white bass are starting to run like a mofo here. Using a double rig and the right color jig will equal multiple fish on the line ant the same time!!!

Nothing like catching a cat though. They fight HARD!

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline kdanderson5

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2009, 03:04:16 PM »
I did some crappie fishing a few weeks ago and they were drilling plain old worms like crazy. We caught probably close to 50 if not more in a small farm pond. It was a great time!

I have never caught a white bass. They fight like large/small mouths or do they get bigger?

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 03:56:50 PM »
I did some crappie fishing a few weeks ago and they were drilling plain old worms like crazy. We caught probably close to 50 if not more in a small farm pond. It was a great time!

I have never caught a white bass. They fight like large/small mouths or do they get bigger?

They fight like a smallmouth, but just just in more frequency if they are running and you're using the right color jig!

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum