Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: YFZ shocks or lowering kit?  (Read 2023 times)

Offline Langford

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
    • Email
YFZ shocks or lowering kit?
« on: January 12, 2011, 02:55:27 PM »
I want to lower the front of my raptor a little bit, but I'm not sure which route to go.  

Being a GYTR, I already have the "SE shocks"...so would you guys suggest just using one of the lowering kits to get the front down a few inches, or just try to swap my shocks for a set of YFZ shocks?  (from what I have read, the YFZ shocks drop the front end a bit)

'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
Re: YFZ shocks or lowering kit?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 03:08:12 PM »
depending on your preload YFZ shocks can drop the front 1-2" .  What are trying to do though, lower stance for drag racing or trail stablity?

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2011, 03:08:21 PM »
you dialed your preload all the way down? I hate the lowering kits. Makes them too low. LIke for ice racing or flat track
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Langford

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 03:16:39 PM »
I'm doing it just to get the front down for drag racing...
'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 03:20:57 PM »
I don't think a shock change will be worth much untill you want to spend some $$ to shaws or the basic Fox air shocks with a shorter travel.  Your gonna drop maybe an inch and maintain the same weight, wherea you could drop 3+ and lose several pounds too.

Just my .02

Aaron

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:28:15 PM »
Lang..you see the redneck setup Preddy made for drag racing? made studs out of square tubing :lol: I thought it was great-Works...it's cheap, but gotta get em on and off :shrug:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Langford

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 03:29:40 PM »
I'm getting a shaw for the rear, and I may get fronts later on depending on how I like it.  I'm just looking for something cheap and easy for the time being.  I'm guessing that I may be able to find somebody on RF willing to do a swap for my SE shocks for their YFZ shocks, if not...the lowering kits are only around $50

I haven't seen that Peels.  But I ride 99% at the dunes, and most of my time there is spent at the drag strip (when I'm on my raptor at least)...so being lowered all the time wouldn't bother me.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2011, 03:30:34 PM »
Well if you want some let me know, I got YFZs and the SE's would be an upgrade for me

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
Struts would be too stiff for the drags at SL, but they might work on a groomed sand track like WMSD.  Cheapest option would be a set of banshee or warrior/raptor 350 front shocks to just get the front down a couple of inches.  If you want to calculate exactly how low you'd like it a nice set of front shaw comps could put the front end wherever you like.  The lowering kit would work fine for the flats, I wouldn't dune with them though (I can speak from experience).

Offline Langford

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 03:36:27 PM »
Struts would be too stiff for the drags at SL, but they might work on a groomed sand track like WMSD.  Cheapest option would be a set of banshee or warrior/raptor 350 front shocks to just get the front down a couple of inches.  If you want to calculate exactly how low you'd like it a nice set of front shaw comps could put the front end wherever you like.  The lowering kit would work fine for the flats, I wouldn't dune with them though (I can speak from experience).

What was the issue with the lowering kit?  I don't hit the hills too often with my Raptor, normally leave that for the RZR...but I do like to make a few laps on occasion.  Not sure how it is going to work this spring with the new setup, but I still want to be able to cruise around some and ride the trails at my parents place. 

Shaws will probably be the route I end up going, but I'm trying not to spend too much $$ right now.  Got a few other projects that I'm stashing cash for, so the cheaper the better right now. 

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »
There were 2 issues.  The first, and one you are more likely to experience is the operation of the suspension when unloaded during wheelies or jumps.  If the bolts loosen or aren't tightened to spec the lowering brackets (whether an upper mount relocation like the Durablue which I used or a lower mount relocation kit like the CRJ is used) can rotate up or down and allow the suspension to "slam" down on the bracket when the front end returns to the ground.  Proper torque will resolve this issue, but it needs to be maintained.

The second issue was simply strength of the mounts.  The upper shock mounts on the 660 will not respond well to the additional force applied to them with the durablue kit when a lot of air comes between your tires and the ground.  A large enough impact can and will rip the upper shock mount from the frame.  I was lucky and only bent it after getting way too much speed and air off test hill.  I also bent my front shock and blew the both tires on one side off the bead, so it was a very large impact.  But if you don't screw up as I did ;) and don't try to air the bike out with a lowering kit on it you should avoid this issue as well.  With the CRJ type kits the force would be transmitted first to the outside of the lower a-arms and the impact would be at a larger angle to the upper mounts which should fare better than the Durablue type that relocates the upper mount.

Offline 1badazz_700r

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 07:49:00 AM »
I started out with a crj lowering kit front and back. after i would ride for a few hours i felt like i was 80 yrs old and my skid plate was pissed at me :lol: cause i constantley bottomed out places i never did before. I now run no lowering kit and just yfz's up front much better. I also have a set of struts that powdercoater made for me a few years ago. I use them for 1/4mile drag race. sets it about 3" off ground. The only problem with going this low is you have to re-adjust your chain and your front tires will need re-aligned, they will both toe in. heres a few pics of it with struts on

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe