Custom Steering Stem

Started by Dales396LT4, November 25, 2010, 01:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dales396LT4

After bending and straightening mine a few times this is what I came up with.  1.75 over stock

the bushing is a sway bar bushing off of a 96 corvette.  This is the mock up, but close to final design.  Then time to clean and paint.

Dales396LT4

This is it all done. I moved the plate to the inside of the bracket and welded the supports to the frame and plate.. I cut 12" middle pice out of the stock stem. And then put a pice of pipe inside of the stock stem to make it 1.75 longer.  

Blair

Looks good.  The only thing that I was worried about when I was gonna relace my stem is what's the next weakest point. Stronger bars = bent steering stem. Stronger stem = bent frame???  That was just my 2 cents but I wasn't gonna take that chance. $175 for a stem from the dealership is a whole lit cheaper than a frame
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -

Dales396LT4

In the last pic you can see that I braced the mounting point for the stem, the Frame... I hope it dose not bend or bust the frame but if it dose I will just make it better...