Another gearing question...

Started by unclesharty, May 02, 2010, 09:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclesharty

Any of you guys drop 3 teeth off the rear sprocket instead of running a 15T up front?

It should be the same end result as running a 15T up front except 3 less teeth in the rear would require you to run a shorter chain. I figure less rotational mass would be a good thing.

Anybody have any feedback?

I tried to search for answers with no luck.

If you're not crashin, you're not ridin hard enough!

Colorado700R

Sharty, I think the ratio is 2.7 to 1 ???.  So three down (45) is a touch more than just a 15T.

preddy08

I did the same thing. I didn't like the thought of going ALL the way to a 15t front, so I did a -2 rear and REALLY like it. I'm the type of guy that will get EVERY ounce of performance possible. I didn't like the thought of adding rotational mass to the front sprocket so in my mind taking it way from the rear only made since to me. I didn't want a big jump in gearing to the 15t front due to some TIGHT trails that I run, so I thought that the -2 rear would be good enough for me. I found it was a good "middle of the road" setup for me. Not to mention the added ground clearance.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

unclesharty

Quote from: preddy08 on May 02, 2010, 09:58:47 PM
I did the same thing. I didn't like the thought of going ALL the way to a 15t front, so I did a -2 rear and REALLY like it. I'm the type of guy that will get EVERY ounce of performance possible. I didn't like the thought of adding rotational mass to the front sprocket so in my mind taking it way from the rear only made since to me. I didn't want a big jump in gearing to the 15t front due to some TIGHT trails that I run, so I thought that the -2 rear would be good enough for me. I found it was a good "middle of the road" setup for me. Not to mention the added ground clearance.

Did you still need to run a shorter chain?

If you're not crashin, you're not ridin hard enough!

preddy08

A -2 rear was just perfect with a stock length chain.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Dales396LT4

I run a 15/36 on the high speed trails but the best setup sofar is 14/36 for all around ie 300" drags flat track and trails...

Alkire193

I run a 15/36, despite all the power I still dont feel like I come out of the hole the way i want to. But I love how comfortable the atv runs in 3rd on the trails.

Dales396LT4

You hit it right on the head, That's y I went back to the 14. At the 300" Drags I leave in 3rd at 5000rpm and shift to 4th at 8000rpm, at the 200" mark.. (Dirt/packed Clay) with 20-11-9 ITP Holeshot