Is it better to Buy or Rent?

Started by Krandall, April 22, 2010, 10:54:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Dog

If you read the link that was originally posted, it would seem to disagree with your claim of "10-25k" over what was paid in, though highly dependent on the details the timeline in the OP shows a break even timeline of 4 years and my realistic setpoints put the payback at 8 years with a 4%/yr increase.  I'm not necessarily saying that kind of payback you mentioned can't happen, but it's certainly not a given or a rule of thumb for everyone.

You told me I was pissing away my money, I disagreed.  We don't have to agree, it's an open discussion and a question posed by the OP.  But if you're going to use words like "piss away" and  take that kind of tone then I'll gladly reciprocate.

Alkire193

Quote from: Mad Dog on April 24, 2010, 06:34:03 PM
If you read the link that was originally posted, it would seem to disagree with your claim of "10-25k" over what was paid in, though highly dependent on the details the timeline in the OP shows a break even timeline of 4 years and my realistic setpoints put the payback at 8 years with a 4%/yr increase.  I'm not necessarily saying that kind of payback you mentioned can't happen, but it's certainly not a given or a rule of thumb for everyone.

You told me I was pissing away my money, I disagreed.  We don't have to agree, it's an open discussion and a question posed by the OP.  But if you're going to use words like "piss away" and  take that kind of tone then I'll gladly reciprocate.

Theres no tone in typing, unless you can hear my keyboard. "Piss away" wasnt a directed insult or to force a point. Would you prefer, "voluntarily exchanging money to an individual that owns property and will use your money to improve their status in life as you remain stationary"? Cause "piss away" seems to cover it much easier.

Mad Dog

Quote from: Alkire193 on April 25, 2010, 05:49:10 AM
Quote from: Mad Dog on April 24, 2010, 06:34:03 PM
If you read the link that was originally posted, it would seem to disagree with your claim of "10-25k" over what was paid in, though highly dependent on the details the timeline in the OP shows a break even timeline of 4 years and my realistic setpoints put the payback at 8 years with a 4%/yr increase.  I'm not necessarily saying that kind of payback you mentioned can't happen, but it's certainly not a given or a rule of thumb for everyone.

Theres no tone in typing, unless you can hear my keyboard. "Piss away" wasnt a directed insult or to force a point. Would you prefer, "voluntarily exchanging money to an individual that owns property and will use your money to improve their status in life as you remain stationary"? Cause "piss away" seems to cover it much easier.

Interesting that you can somehow discern a "tone" from my post and make the comment that I have an "attitude" yet you seem to believe your text is incapable of carrying any inflection what so ever.

jstev

I am kinda enjoying this :thumbs:

I am on the rent side of the fence untill a person is really established.  I am renting from a friend of mine.  He bought this house a few years ago thinking this would be his carreer job,city to love ect ect.  Well two years later he says I hate this job, leaves and starts renting it.   For the last two years he has spent all his spare cash keeping up the place.   None of what he had to do was really damage, just upkeep.  House was built in the late 80's so not vey old and in the last five years he has, Painted the entire house, replaced about 1/3 of the sideing, new floor coverings, new a/c, new garage door.  I am going to guess that he has spent 20 grand, doing all he can do himself.    This is a low end starter house we are talking about.  So if he was still at the income he was when he got this place and had to spend 4 grand a year on upkeep he would not come out ahead untill it was paid off.    I know all situations are different, just stating my current examaple :thumbs:

Peelz

Jstev hit the nail on the head.

I am on the rent side of the fence untill a person is really established.

I had no problem renting. Until I found a job I liked, and had children. Even then, I would still rent. At the end of the day, you are paying for the service. Not really losing money, you can't take it with you anyway when you go.  :nod: I just wouldn't put as big a payment into rent, as I would a mortgage.  :thumbs:

Although, I would have a tough time now in an apartment setting.

And Jstev, we rented from a family friend, and it ended badly. They did not prepare for large problems. The furnace died, we woke up and it was 49 in the house one night...with a 3 month old baby. THen they dragged their feet, and bought a used one.... long story short, we moved. Things are good now though.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Hefe

friends get pissy when you run meth houses out of their place

Peelz

Quote from: Hefe on April 26, 2010, 08:45:56 AM
friends get pissy when you run meth houses out of their place

they knew about it. I didn't force them to sign a lease.  :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Hefe