What are pros/cons of the Yamaha Wolverine?

Started by Headrope, April 05, 2010, 09:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CornSyrup

Can he shift?  The 1st year the 450 came out yamaha made a 350 fully auto wolverine that would be underpowered.  The other 350 wolverines are far from under power why b/c your can shift them.  As far as towing or plowing being able to shift makes a HUGE difference and out on the trails is nice to be able to pick your power out put by being able to shift.  When you have 600 and up cc's then being able to shift goes to the door b/c you have anuff power to over come the short comings of a full auto.  I have had a 350 for years(oh about 14 of them) and it still works it ass off It does all the snow plowing most of the yard work and 50/50 on skidding out logs for fire wood.(also have a 700 griz) There should be plenty of them in your area for 2000-2500 range just find that 1 that just was used for hunting season.  :)

Warren

my fiance had a wolvy. they are really nice. stock they are kind of a toad, but i put a HMF slip-on, a custom intake, and a 140 HMF main jet in the carb and that thing hauled. i would say it would be great for your kid. and when he's really you can mod it for fairly cheap and make it something way better. with the mods i did, the wolverine could pull the front end up from a rolling start and just punching the throttle. i would highly recommend the wolverine for your boy. 
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Magz

going to look at the can-am 800 see if my wife likes it before buying a wolvy.

Peelz

Quote from: maguilar496 on April 07, 2010, 03:28:34 PM
going to look at the can-am 800 see if my wife likes it before buying a wolvy.

holy smokes, that is  a whole diferent monster.

renegades are bad ass and waaay more expensive than wolvy
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Magz

yes i know..........but if she likes it then it's hers................
hell if she likes a alky banshee i'll get it for her........point is to get her to ride.

Hefe

I know someone's ol' lady had one, Thanks Warren
I feel better now!

Peelz

Quote from: maguilar496 on April 07, 2010, 03:34:04 PM
yes i know..........but if she likes it then it's hers................
hell if she likes a alky banshee i'll get it for her........point is to get her to ride.

:nod:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Magz

exept a 450...........i'll divorce her before I desgrace myself buying a yfz

Hefe

Magz

not really.......

450s are not my cup of tea.  :thumbs:

Langford

Quote from: ctateusa on April 06, 2010, 05:27:11 AM
The 450 wolvy is great I have a pretty built one that my wife rides now that Ihave the 660.

Wow, I haven't seen that name in a few years, I remember you/your quad from the old atv connection days.  I went by MIwolvy over there.

Anyway, the wolverine is a good quad.  I bought mine back in 06 and rode it for about 2 years before I bought my Raptor...now my girlfriend rides it, and it is a great quad for her.  She isn't comfortable with shifting, so the auto makes life a little easier.  It had no problem carting my ass around the dunes back when I rode it, and it is a blast on the trails.
Like ctateusa said, you can mod them to make them a bit quicker, but the aftermarket is a little limited compared to other quads.  

I added a HMF pipe, K&N filter, jetted it, and had the clutch sheave machined by Hauck Performance, which bumped up the top speed a few MPH, and helped in acceleration.  Stock, they will hit around 50mph on flat ground, mine will run 56 with my fatass on it.  

Here is a quick vid I shot a while back to show the acceleration and top speed, keep in mind it is a heavy automatic 4x4 with a 421 cc motor and a 240lb driver...lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kehYpsFlhE

If you really want a quick sport 4x4, you can't beat the renegade 800....but that may be a bit much for a younger driver, you can easily get yourself into trouble with that much power and speed.  But the wolvy is a good all around quad, and I wouldn't hesitate buying one for your son.  I still enjoy jumping on mine and ripping around every once in a while, it is no Raptor...but still a fun machine to ride.  

'07 powerwheels raptor...with a belt driven twin screw centrifugal turbocharger!  Wait for it, wait for it...!

ctateusa

preddy08

Just a little 81hp trail bike.

ctateusa

Hefe