What are pros/cons of the Yamaha Wolverine?

Started by Headrope, April 05, 2010, 09:43:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

It's time for my son to step up to a bigger quad. He wants a sport quad  - his Grizzly 125 makes him look like an ape on a tricycle - but since my wife and I have Raptor 700s we are thinking a Wolverine might be the way to go. Any pros/cons or links to decent sites would be appreciated. I've searched but have yet to find a Wolverine site that comes close to this one.
Please and thanks.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Hefe

Headrope

The 250 is physically too small for him. He's skinny but very tall.
A Raptor 350 would fit him fine, and be reliable as hell since the tried and true Warrior lives beneath the plastic, but in stepping up to that size motor we might as well consider a 4X4 that could double as a tow rig. And if we're going to consider a 4X4 then we might as well try to get something that is kind of sporty. And if we're going to get something that is kind of sporty ... pretty sure you get the picture.
Two '06 700R SEs

Colorado700R

I think the 450 wolvies are sweet!!! wouldn't mind having one in the garage

Headrope

A 450 would be a lot of motor for him but would probably be the way we'd go if we bought a Wolverine. Two people I've talked to in person have described the 350 Wolvie as being incredibly underpowered.
Two '06 700R SEs

Mad Dog

Get in touch with a member named "Langford", he has a 450 wolverine and should have some very good information for you regarding it's strengths and weaknesses.  I believe he has an account here and at the other Raptor forums as well.

ctateusa

The 450 wolvy is great I have a pretty built one that my wife rides now that Ihave the 660.

It started out as mine and I modded it pretty good then she decided she did not like to have to shift the old moto 4 and kicked me off the wolvy and onto the moto 4.   It didnt have enough power so I came to the raptor.

There is a website dedicated to the wolvy old and new ones.  But it is nowhere near as frequented as here.

About the only cons are that there are not as many mods available for the wolverine 450 as a raptor.  And maybe the greound clearance should have been a little higher, and plastic steps.

Pros,  good power  automatic,  4x4 on the fly.   Racks, big bore kit, clutch kit, skid plates all are available.

Hefe

What did Warren have at the Rally?
Wasn't Kayla on a wolvy?

Peelz

wolvies are cool. like a really lightweight utility. making it sporty. max speed around 60mph.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Magz

my wife wants a wolverine..........maybe next christmas.  :thumbs:

Headrope

Quote from: ctateusa on April 06, 2010, 05:27:11 AM
The 450 wolvy is great I have a pretty built one that my wife rides now that Ihave the 660.

It started out as mine and I modded it pretty good then she decided she did not like to have to shift the old moto 4 and kicked me off the wolvy and onto the moto 4.   It didnt have enough power so I came to the raptor.

There is a website dedicated to the wolvy old and new ones.  But it is nowhere near as frequented as here.

About the only cons are that there are not as many mods available for the wolverine 450 as a raptor.  And maybe the greound clearance should have been a little higher, and plastic steps.

Pros,  good power  automatic,  4x4 on the fly.   Racks, big bore kit, clutch kit, skid plates all are available.

Great info. Thanks. :thumbs:
Two '06 700R SEs

preddy08

There is a review of the Wolvie in the april dirtwheels. They compaired to the the scrambler and some Kymco POS. Needless to say the Wolvie came in first due to the scrambler getting new plastic on a 20 year old design. The Scrambler has a better motor, but everything else is dated. They Kymco was pretty worthless to mention so I wont even bother :lol:

They had no gripes about it, but at the same time nothing to rave about.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Headrope

Quote from: preddy08 on April 06, 2010, 09:55:55 AM
There is a review of the Wolvie in the april dirtwheels. They compaired to the the scrambler and some Kymco POS. Needless to say the Wolvie came in first due to the scrambler getting new plastic on a 20 year old design. The Scrambler has a better motor, but everything else is dated. They Kymco was pretty worthless to mention so I wont even bother :lol:

They had no gripes about it, but at the same time nothing to rave about.

No gripes, no raves: Sounds about the same as the Raptor 350.
Two '06 700R SEs

vern burny

I 've got an 06 wolvy 450.  I originally got it for my wife to ride and she loves it.  She didn't want to shift and didn't want to ride a tractor.  She has ridden Artic Cat, Polaris and Kawasaki 4x4's, she didn't like any of them.  She prefers the foot print of the wolverine over the lager 4x4's.  She says it makes her feel a bit more in control instead of just hanging on for the ride.  She also hated the looks of the ute 4x4s.

I got it for her but honestly my friends and I ride it more than she does.  Most of my friends ride 4x4's and tend to ride rough trails and mud.  I will take the raptor when it is going to be a short ride and someone has a winch to pull me out but I take the wolvy for longer rides or if there will be a lot of mud.  The fenders actually keep the rider very clean.  The push button 4x4 works great I just wish it had a diff lock for the front.  One of the best parts is that it is simple enough to ride and not so over whelming in size that people who have never ridden before are willing to drive it and enjoy it.

ctateusa

vern you can install a locker for the front diff.  I believe it is the same as a grizz 450 locker if I remember correctly.  I will have to dig up the information to find it again for you though if you are interested.
Here is a list of some of the junk done to my wolvy
2006 Wolverine 450
-CMP Front rack and rear racks
-Full GYTR Skid Plates
-GYTR radiator guard
-K&N air filter
-EPI clutch kit
-GYTR pipe
-Dynojet kit
-Reverse override kit
-Automatic reverse foglight kit
-FST 488 bbk