Another Computer question

Started by Diggs59, March 01, 2010, 07:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krandall

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Mad Dog

If he had a virus, it's probably still there and took out not only IE, but the ability to fix it.  It may be time for microsoft malicious software removal tool, stinger, or some complementary program.

Keep at it, try multiple browsers and whatnot but MD votes for reinstall of OS, or at least a backup and repair.

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on March 01, 2010, 10:02:52 AM
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=341c2ad5-8c3d-4347-8c03-08cdecd8852b&displaylang=en

go there. you need a 32bit version.

that's the only way to do it (via flash/cd) w/out internet.

Thanksa bunch Krandall, you're helping me out bigtime. :clap: I downloaded the 32 bit XP version to a disc. Prior to me installing it I removed the old IE8 from the desktop to ensure no conflicts would take place.  I'll let you know if it fixes it or not.

Diggs59

Quote from: Mad Dog on March 01, 2010, 10:14:45 AM
If he had a virus, it's probably still there and took out not only IE, but the ability to fix it.  It may be time for microsoft malicious software removal tool, stinger, or some complementary program.

Keep at it, try multiple browsers and whatnot but MD votes for reinstall of OS, or at least a backup and repair.

As the new IE8 is downloading on my desktop there is a malicious software check that takes place, it's doing that right now.

Can you download an OS to a disk for free? Or can I just back up the XP version that's on my desktop to a disk and reinstall it? Would that even help if my current XP OS is jacked up?  

Diggs59

Well, no luck even after the removal of the old IE and installation of the new IE.

It just doesn't make sense as to why my Laptop would be working and the desktops local area connection is saying:

"Limited or no connectivity"

???

Krandall

Hrm....

Honestly, I have no idea.

It's tough to say with out seeing it first hand I guess. To me sounds like it's a virus related issue. But I've NEVER heard of a virus making it say "limited or no connectivity"

you said it used to show being a 100mbs connection now only 10.0.

could mean something with the network card, you could try changing the port that the computer is plugged into on the router. Otherwise the next thing would be start from scratch. Maybe if hefer gets on he'd have an idea.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Diggs59

Well, I called Comcast and they weren't any help. Referred me to Linksys and the guy helped me out even after he figured out that I had 2 local area connections. The idiot from Comcast who originally set up the Internet for us actually hooked up an Ethernet connection AND a USB connection from the Modem to the desktop tower.  :rofl: The Linksys guy also said that was only part of the issue. The other issue (which Comcast should've fixed) was the browser settings. After unplugging the USB port and messing around with the Internet options he (Linksys technician) fixed it when it technically wasn't even his issue to fix. :clap:

Thanks again to everyone that offered help.  :thumbs:

Krandall

That makes sense. Reason why I asked if you had 2 ethernet connections on your computer in the first place :)

glad it was as simple as that..

comcast can suck a fat one. I like my service, but their technicians that I've dealt with are sub par.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on March 01, 2010, 01:57:44 PM
That makes sense. Reason why I asked if you had 2 ethernet connections on your computer in the first place :)

glad it was as simple as that..

comcast can suck a fat one. I like my service, but their technicians that I've dealt with are sub par.

They have never helped me with anything, ever. Hell, they even setup my service incorrect. :rolleyes: Internet's fast though. :nod:

Mad Dog

Quote from: Diggs59 on March 01, 2010, 10:28:00 AM
Can you download an OS to a disk for free? Or can I just back up the XP version that's on my desktop to a disk and reinstall it? Would that even help if my current XP OS is jacked up?  

Nope, got to use the setup disk that came with your computer.  And despite my best efforts I have never been able to create a working complete xp disc from an installed OS.