Another Computer question

Started by Diggs59, March 01, 2010, 07:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggs59

Hey guys, first off I'd like to thank everyone that tried to help me out with my last issue with my laptop.  8)

I now have an issue with my desktop. Since buy ing the laptop I really haven't used the desktop for much of anything over the last 11 months, just "occasionally" checking email etc etc. My laptop has Super Anti-Spyware and Malwarebytes on it and I love those programs. My desktop didn't have them so I decided to run a scan with both programs to see what they'll find. I ran Malwarebytes first and it found like 140 problems. The bigger portion of those were tracking cookies but there were at least 60 issues not related to tracking cookies. That's still a-lot of issues IMO. So after the scan I "quarantined" everything it found. After that scan of Malwarebytes I then used SuperAnti-Spyware to scan and it found an assload of problems too, again most were tracking cookies but there were still like 60 issues just as there was for the Malwarebytes scan. I then quarantined all of those files etc etc.

I rebooted and now I'm noticing that I can't connect to the Internet. My dersktop seems to bootup way faster and the browser window pops up and loads way faster too but it always say" cannot connect to the Internet" with the infamous "red x's" to go with. So now I'm thinking that maybe my ISP is having issues. I go downstairs to check my laptops connection out and it's working as advertised. No issues what-so-ever. That makes me think that maybe the Malware bytes and SuperAnti-Spyware may have quarantined something that is needed in order for me to access the Internet.....The good thing about the SuperAntiSpyware program is that you can open the files in quarantine to see what type of infection (adware,malware, trojans etc etc) may be affecting that file or registry key.  So I started looking and have found at least 3 "possible" infections on files or keys that are named (and I'm paraphrasing here) Windows/Explorer/Browser.

What I'm wondering is if Malwarebytes and SuperAnti-Spyware have possibly detected a false positive in those files and are not allowing the files to be used, thus why I'm having the Internet connection issue? So my question is would you guys find all of those files and "ignore OR categorize them as false positives" to see if it fixes my Internet issue OR are there any other troubleshooting tips you can give me first?

I've checked all of my connection through my Linksys advisor and all connections are good according to it. It shows my router, modems, desktop, laptop as all having good connections. ??? BTW this is an XP operating system so it should be easier to work with. :thumbs:

Krandall

Is your computer while on the network pulling an ip addres from the router?

Start --> Run --> type "CMD"

when the command prompt opens up. type "ipconfig"

post what it says :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Diggs59

Diggs59

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
<C> Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\jarrett mangus>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS suffix. : hsd1.md.comcast.net
              IP address ........................... : 192.168.1.100
              Subnet mask..........................: 255.255.255.0
              Default gateway.....................: 192.168.1.1

Ethernet adapter local area connection 4:

Connection-specific DNS suffix  . :
             Autoconfiguration IP address.......: 169.254.66.21
             Subnet mask............................: 255.255.0.0
             Default Gateway.......................:

C:\Documents and Settings\jarrett mangus

Krandall

Does your computer have 2 Ethernet connections on the back?

if you go to that command promt and type 

"ping google.com"

does it say something like:

Reply from 74.125.95.106: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=49

or

Request Timed Out.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on March 01, 2010, 09:16:39 AM
Does your computer have 2 Ethernet connections on the back?

if you go to that command promt and type 

"ping google.com"

does it say something like:

Reply from 74.125.95.106: bytes=32 time=25ms TTL=49

or

Request Timed Out.

I only see 1 Ethernet connection on the back of the tower.

It says:

Pinging google.com [64.233.169.147] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 64.233.169.147: bytes=32 time=27ms TTL=243
"                                                        "24"               "
"                                                        "23"               "
"                                                        "23"               "

Ping statistics for 64.233.169.147:
      Packets: Sent=4, Received=4, Lost=0 <0% Loss>,
Approximate round trip times in milliseconds:
      Minimum=23ms, Maximum=27ms, Average=24ms

C:\Documents and Settings\jarrett mangus>

Krandall

With that. It means your able to get out to the internet. It can contact Google.com.

The next thing I'd suggest is, I'd leave what you quarentined alone. Just re-install IE or FF (whichever you're using)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on March 01, 2010, 09:34:52 AM
With that. It means your able to get out to the internet. It can contact Google.com.

The next thing I'd suggest is, I'd leave what you quarentined alone. Just re-install IE or FF (whichever you're using)

Does those speeds not seem extremely slow to you? I have no idea that's why I am asking....

I'll try what you said with the IE or FF and report back.

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on March 01, 2010, 09:34:52 AM

How do you reinstall IE? because I do not have Internet capability on my desktop.

Spartan

Just use/try google chrome (browser), I run it on mine now and it's very fast and clean

Diggs59

I can't even access the Internet....How could I reinstall IE if I have no connection? ???

Krandall

you have a flash drive or burner on your laptop?

Download IE Install file. put on flash drive or burn to a disk. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Diggs59

When I hover over my desktop/local area connection icon(in the lower right hand corner) it is saying this:

Speed 10.0 Mbps (it is usually 100.0)

Staus: Limited or No connectivity

Diggs59

Quote from: Krandall on March 01, 2010, 09:48:22 AM
you have a flash drive or burner on your laptop?

Download IE Install file. put on flash drive or burn to a disk. :)

Yeah,  :aaron: I'm a douche. I'll try that....

Diggs59

Tried the burned disc thing and when I tried to open it in my desktop it says "iesetup.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

I guess that means my laptop is a 64 bit system and my desktop is a 32?

So how can I make this work? Is there another way to get IE on my desktop?