What would you do?

Started by desdak4, February 03, 2010, 07:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

desdak4

You guys are giving me great info in my other thread on my first build. But, I have another question for you.

If you could do a build or suspension what would you do?

I currently have an '07 Raptor 700 with Monsters, Fuel ATV intake, Evac Valve and PCIII. This quad has been great to me for 3+ years and I am going to have to do a new clutch.

I am thinking of doing a +3 TB, 11:1 Piston, Stage 3 cam and of course the new clutch OR I could do aftermarket suspension. I just need to decide so I can get started.

So what would you do??????

Thanks,
Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Krandall

You have pogo's or resi shocks already?

If you have the resi shocks, I'd go motor. If you don't. Suspension I'd say is the way to go. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Colorado700R

Jay, were do you ride more Trails, or dunes?

Peelz

suspension..... right now. :lol:

but I am old and in pain most days so my opinion is somewhat skewed :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

preddy08

Whats your budget, you might be able to do a little of both.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

wobble

Quote from: Krandall on February 03, 2010, 08:19:13 AM
If you have the resi shocks, I'd go motor. If you don't. Suspension I'd say is the way to go. :)

I agree. The '07 SE shocks are not that bad. HUGE improvement over the '07 700R pogo shocks. I also say go for the motor and clutch mods. Next I would say have your shocks rebuilt.

With the added power, you may want to go with a longer swingarm. I almost had my shocks done before my last build. I'm glad I held off because I ended up buying some +2 arms and longer swingarm. That would have required new springs and revalving again on all the shocks. That would have been a complete waste of money.

desdak4

I have the stock resi shocks.

I ride trails/ditches with at least one trip to St. Anthony's a year and sometime take it home to Oregon.

My budget/wife only allows for one or the other.

My big concern is reliability, I have seen so many get built and then have problems all the time and that is something I do not want.

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Colorado700R

I would look at LT Motowoz, Elka, or Foxfloat shocks, with a wider LT Max Ground Clearance A-arm (I like the ATV 4 Play models), and an adjustable width play axle.

A CCP will go along way in helping arm fatigue aswell, even with your Flexx Bars.

Aaron

desdak4

I do already have a the Flexx Bars(won't run without them) and a CCP.

I would most likely be looking to keep my stock arms and axle as I have a wheel spacers that I am very happy with.

Jay

preddy08

Quote from: desdak4 on February 03, 2010, 09:12:31 AM
I do already have a the Flexx Bars(won't run without them) and a CCP.

I would most likely be looking to keep my stock arms and axle as I have a wheel spacers that I am very happy with.

Jay

What if you had the shocks rebuilt/revalved, then put a piston and cam in it?

desdak4

I would rather have aftermarket shock if I am doing suspension. Just my personel pref.

How reliable are these mild builds, is anyone having trouble after building these motors?

Jay

Colorado700R

that's the great thing IMO about the rappy, builds seems to be very reliable.  The only issue I've seen consitantly is Head gaskets when you really bump up the compression to the extremes (IE 14-1), and even then there are guys who have had no issues.

preddy08

Quote from: desdak4 on February 03, 2010, 10:06:34 AM
I would rather have aftermarket shock if I am doing suspension. Just my personel pref.

How reliable are these mild builds, is anyone having trouble after building these motors?

Jay

My last build was 14+ compression, big bore, with big cam. I had ZERO issues for two years. Really the only time you'll start to see issues is if your going into the 800+cc range.

how mechanically inclined are you?

desdak4

I'm decent and know how to read LOL. I have been riding and tinkering with quads for the better part of my life. I am just worried about having a ticking time bomb.

Jay

Peelz

save yourself the hassle, spend the cash on hookers and blow. :thumbs:  ;) :lol:

oh, I mean Elka's if you are sticking with stock arms.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"