What would you do?

Started by desdak4, February 03, 2010, 07:54:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bert

Jay my rappy is a 3 mod & +2TB. For the trail riding I do i'm satisfied with the power since the trails are 1st & 2nd gear mostly. Given the chance to open it up on longer strecthes its spinning tires &  its hard enough to keep rear tires from going bald now due to a lot of hard surface riding like dirt track, gravel roads & some pavement here and there. Ditch riding is allowed but no one does it so there are no established trails just running down grass finding the bumps. Control & Comfort are my issues now not more speed.  I had a chance to ride a buddys Honda 450 with aftermarket suspension & it was like riding on pillows.  I was truly amazed by the difference.  9 outta 10 times the forum will urge people to mod the motor but what Good is speed without exceptional crisp handling.  I like to race as much as the next guy but I'm not out there drag racing every weekend i cover a variety of terrain.  I guess that's why I have 4 sets of tires on rims.  :lol: There's summer tires, tall winter tires, dirt track tires & studded tires. Seems like to many but i'm happy I have them.  Personally I'd love to spend the coin on aftermarket suspension but i've got a few other money pits right now.

Jay you remember the difference in power from when your Rappy was stock until now?

Imagine your suspension having that much performance gain.

Its all in where you ride but  Wiigstyle Racing shock rebuilds seem like a great investment with a return in handling which overall will help you ride faster with the power you have now. Another  plus is its a smaller company that offers Customer Service with quick turn arounds. Just my .02$

Peelz

Quote from: Bert on February 05, 2010, 04:11:06 PM
Jay my rappy is a 3 mod & +2TB. For the trail riding I do i'm satisfied with the power since the trails are 1st & 2nd gear mostly. Given the chance to open it up on longer strecthes its spinning tires &  its hard enough to keep rear tires from going bald now due to a lot of hard surface riding like dirt track, gravel roads & some pavement here and there. Ditch riding is allowed but no one does it so there are no established trails just running down grass finding the bumps. Control & Comfort are my issues now not more speed.  I had a chance to ride a buddys Honda 450 with aftermarket suspension & it was like riding on pillows.  I was truly amazed by the difference.  9 outta 10 times the forum will urge people to mod the motor but what Good is speed without exceptional crisp handling.  I like to race as much as the next guy but I'm not out there drag racing every weekend i cover a variety of terrain.  I guess that's why I have 4 sets of tires on rims.  :lol: There's summer tires, tall winter tires, dirt track tires & studded tires. Seems like to many but i'm happy I have them.  Personally I'd love to spend the coin on aftermarket suspension but i've got a few other money pits right now.

Jay you remember the difference in power from when your Rappy was stock until now?

Imagine your suspension having that much performance gain.

Its all in where you ride but  Wiigstyle Racing shock rebuilds seem like a great investment with a return in handling which overall will help you ride faster with the power you have now. Another  plus is its a smaller company that offers Customer Service with quick turn arounds. Just my .02$

great post bert.

Exactly!
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

desdak4

that is a great thought Bert.

Is there anuy benefit to going with just a throttle body and ignition or just a throttle body and a cam and then rebuild the stock suspension?

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Gunz

Ok I'm not even going to read past the first post.....................

Suspension!!! This is a no brainer!!!!!! Your oem suspension will never hold up to your motor mods and what I mean is it doesn't matter how big and bad ass your motor is it ain't worth shit unless you can use it. Your OEM suspension will hold up your capabilities on the trails,sand,racing,whoops,hairpins,burrs,strait aways, and anything else. There is no way your going to keep your bike pinned at all times with a stock suspension on a 40hp or a 80hp bike. Now on the other hand if you had an all out aftermarket suspension that was of good quality it would handle any hp you put at it. Like for instance whoops, when I was at 40hp with a stock suspension I was flying over them pinned in 3rd maybe 4th and that's with the bad-ass SE suspension, man I thought I was a bad ass!!! I then did a "Super 6 mod" and was rock'n at least 55hp and still I was flying over the whoops in 3rd maybe 4th. Even though I had more hp, I still wasn't going any faster. Then one day I bought a suspension...BAM!!!!, I was really flying over whoops now... pinned in 5th and loving it. Have you ever gone over a mile long set of whoops at 80mph and had a koolaid smile at the end of them????? Seriously? Not with a stock suspension, I'd call you a liar. In the trails it's the same  way, you can absolutely push you and your bike harder with an aftermarket suspension. I guarantee if you had a race between 3 bikes on any situation except for a 300ft drag race, one bike being totally factory, one having lets say $2000 worth of motor mods and the last bike having $2000 suspension. The suspension will win 99/100 times...mx, gncc, dunes, xc, desert, whatever....

Suspension for the win!!! I don't mean to hurt anybodies feelings, but if you have never had an aftermarket suspension then your opinion don't mean shit in this thread. People that have never had an aftermarket suspension HAVE KNOW IDEA WHAT THEY ARE MISSING. And just because you rode "your buddies bike" with a suspension still doesn't mean shit, because an aftermarket suspension is bought and built with a specific intention per the person it's going under. I rock a 235lb woods suspension, my 180lb friend that loves dunes would NOT be comfortable on my bike, why???? because it was built for MY fat ass not his.

Got any questions? Just ask. Like I said I didn't read any statements above, so coincidences in what I said are just that, didn't mean to hurt anybodys feelings, I just know how these threads play out.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Gunz

Ok now that I posted I went and read everybody's post.... I was expecting everyone to say motor first...haha, I love this site. I had wiigstyle rebuild my rear shock as well and couldn't be happier. As a matter of fact he will be a sight sponsor soon, main reason, I have his product and like it.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Peelz

agreed mike. THe SE suspension is much better than the pogos, but still not amazing.

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Bert

Quote from: desdak4 on February 06, 2010, 11:05:28 AM
Is there anuy benefit to going with just a throttle body and ignition or just a throttle body and a cam and then rebuild the stock suspension?

Jay

Jay what did you end up doing to your Raptor ?

FoundArealQuad

I would go suspension first. I'm also 33 and the knee's are not like they used to be. I've rode a couple of quads with suspension and one that was set up for my weight and the difference was night and day. If I would ride more than I have been it would be the next investment for sure.
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

ralph265

Elkas and a pep ( the kind that attached to the frame ) steering stabilser . Best mods per buck I ever did and
Ive done a fair bit

desdak4

I actually haven't decided yet guys, I was told that I may be deploy from June to Oct this year so everything is on hol for a bit.

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Gunz

Well if you need someone to take care of your bike for ya, let me know. I've been known to mod borrowed bikes before..... :thumbs:

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

desdak4

LOL, with who's money???

Jay