Key Relocation Options

Started by Ironhorse, January 21, 2010, 09:15:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1stwarrior95

I usually just unscrew the nut off the switch when I remove the plastic. The plug in is buried deeper in behind stuff so it's easier just to unscrew it IMO.

Gunz

Yeah, the Dr D plug needs a 13/16 hole drilled for a perfect fit. :thumbs:

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Blair

this is what i did a few months ago... i had initally planned to rebuild it and make it "better"  but i have yet to actually do that... it is working really well so far...
http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=4888.0
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -

Ironhorse

I finished mine up this weekend. Used a 7/8" bit and the Dr. D. reverse plug. Then I ran to Ace hardware and got a kitchen sink hose cover kit (chrome). I used the rubber washer and the chrome cover and it looks really nice. Plus it was only a few bucks.

I also added a section of wire to make the harness longer so it was easier to disconnect.

wobble

Very nice!! Great idea on the kitchen sink hose cover kit.  :thumbs:

My buddy is looking for a low cost option as well for his Dr. D reverse lever. I like it much better than just drilling out the plastic plug that comes with the Dr. D kit. I may have to steal your idea.  ;)

Ironhorse

Thanks. But I still used the plastic plug from Dr. D to house the base of the switch. Then capped it with this faucet setup. There are probably some other options using similar hardware.

XC_Raptor700R

I hope the kit from ACE is stainless steel or it's gonna rust. It's a great idea but I would be concerned about the material.
2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com

Ironhorse

Quote from: XC_Raptor700R on January 31, 2010, 10:01:15 PM
I hope the kit from ACE is stainless steel or it's gonna rust. It's a great idea but I would be concerned about the material.

I've never seen a kitchen sink rust before  :P

XC_Raptor700R

Quote from: Ironhorse on February 01, 2010, 06:07:29 AM
Quote from: XC_Raptor700R on January 31, 2010, 10:01:15 PM

I've never seen a kitchen sink rust before  :P

That's because it's only exposed to household water, being exposed to abrasive mud and all other off road abuse will have a toll on a "kitchen sink" item. If it's not high quality stainless steel (and I bet it's not, probably made in china) then it's not gonna hold up. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just I would carefully choose the material.
2006 XC Raptor 700R, Greg's ATV suspension, rear link, Houser +.5" MGC a-arms, anti-vibe stem, flag, Pro Taper bars, full HMF, PCIII, 21/20 RazrII's on DWT Ultimate's

www.gregsatv.com

Ironhorse

That's because it's only exposed to household water, being exposed to abrasive mud and all other off road abuse will have a toll on a "kitchen sink" item. If it's not high quality stainless steel (and I bet it's not, probably made in china) then it's not gonna hold up. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just I would carefully choose the material.
[/quote]

I can guarantee that it will last longer than the plastic fenders will. That's enough for me.

XC_Raptor700R

Quote from: Ironhorse on February 03, 2010, 08:54:34 AM

I can guarantee that it will last longer than the plastic fenders will. That's enough for me.
[/quote]

I would take that bet ! ... especially since plastic fenders corrode faster than "kitchen sink" kit.

www.gregsatv.com

Ironhorse

I change my plastic almost yearly. I'm not implying plastic corrodes. If stainless steel is going to corrode by getting muddy then I'm going to have to buy new exhaust headers and hardware for half of the aftermarket components I have as well. A little $5 part looks pretty easy to replace at that point.