Swingarm pivot bolt won't come out

Started by KDH123, January 14, 2010, 10:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDH123

Anyone have problems getting their pivot bolt out? I am trying to pull my engine to rebuild, but I can't get the damn bolt out! My guess is that it is bent. I have pounded on this thing with a 3 pound sledge and it wont go any further than flush with the frame surface.  I lubed it up good, tried to get it back in to try again, and I can't even get it to go back in.  Sounds solid when you hit it with a hammer.
06 Raptor 700
+5 hot rods crank
105 mm 12.1 cp shelf piston
pcIII
dynatek programmable
HC stage 2 cam
Kibble springs
mild port
prodesign intake w/K&N
Gt Thunder rear link
dual rate stock rebuild rear by Factory Edge
dual rate stock 450 rebuilds front by Factory Edge
+2 a-arms
Lonestart Axecaliber axle
ODI lock on grips, and YES it has a twist!

preddy08

Quote from: KDH123 on January 14, 2010, 10:08:32 PM
Anyone have problems getting their pivot bolt out? I am trying to pull my engine to rebuild, but I can't get the damn bolt out! My guess is that it is bent. I have pounded on this thing with a 3 pound sledge and it wont go any further than flush with the frame surface.  I lubed it up good, tried to get it back in to try again, and I can't even get it to go back in.  Sounds solid when you hit it with a hammer.

I'm guessing your hitting it from the correct side?

I'm guessing its rusted in there pretty good. Just keep hitting it!
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

KDH123

Yes, hitting it from the right side. The bolt will turn, so it's not cemented in there. The bike has not seen much mud, water or anything like that.  I guess it's time to try a pneumatic hammer. 
06 Raptor 700
+5 hot rods crank
pcIII
dynatek programmable
HC stage 2 cam
Kibble springs
mild port
prodesign intake w/K&N
Gt Thunder rear link
+2 a-arms

Peelz

Quote from: preddy08 on January 14, 2010, 10:12:43 PM
Quote from: KDH123 on January 14, 2010, 10:08:32 PM

I'm guessing your hitting it from the correct side?

I'm guessing its rusted in there pretty good. Just keep hitting it!

+1 the shock is out right?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

KDH123

Shock is out, bike is on a atv lift, so there isn't any pressure. Don't even have the rear wheels on.
Had a friend lift up and down on the rear while I was hitting the bolt, but it doesn't want to move.  Maybe I just found out why one rear tire would wear more than the other.
06 Raptor 700
+5 hot rods crank
pcIII
dynatek programmable
HC stage 2 cam
Kibble springs
mild port
prodesign intake w/K&N
Gt Thunder rear link
+2 a-arms

Krandall

Thats very weird. Should come out fairly easy. there should be a dimple in the bolt, if you have a center punch, get one and put it in there and beat on the thing, only one way it comes out :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on January 15, 2010, 07:44:58 AM
Thats very weird. Should come out fairly easy. there should be a dimple in the bolt, if you have a center punch, get one and put it in there and beat on the thing, only one way it comes out :)

you sure you wanna be giving swingarm mounting advice? :kiss:

JK wandi. :rofl:

have somebody wiggle the swinger while you are hitting it too.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

ERMAHGERD. :bird:

I had the swingarm out before you bastards got back to camp... just couldn't get it back in so :sit:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Out Back Welding

Took mine off just the other day, pushed it out with my finger. Shouldn't be too hard unless its bent or something.

KDH123

I am pretty sure it is bent.  I didn't have time to mess with it over the weekend.  Running a race is a lot of work! Now that I have seen both sides of the fence, makes you appreciate those guys a hell of a lot more. We had a great turn out.

06 Raptor 700
+5 hot rods crank
pcIII
dynatek programmable
HC stage 2 cam
Kibble springs
mild port
prodesign intake w/K&N
Gt Thunder rear link
+2 a-arms

unclesharty

Loosen/remove the rest of the motor mount bolts and have a buddy wiggle the motor while u push on the bolt.

Make sure your not catching the bolt threads on anything before you get to crazy with the sledge!

If you're not crashin, you're not ridin hard enough!

KDH123

I've done that already.  all bolts out, no shock, on a stand, had a friend more the swinger while hitting the bolt and tried wiggling the motor around as well. No luck.  I'll let you know what I find when I finally get the thing out. 
06 Raptor 700
+5 hot rods crank
pcIII
dynatek programmable
HC stage 2 cam
Kibble springs
mild port
prodesign intake w/K&N
Gt Thunder rear link
+2 a-arms

Texas700

your problem is corrosion. Mine had a little but the one on my a arm had to be cut off. it is a real pain.
2006 Raptor 734 12:5to1 piston, hot cam stage III, RF port work, ARP head studs, Kenny +2 TB Bore, I Shock +2 a arms, TCS zero preload shocks, Fasst Flex bars, OMF beadlocks, kenda klaw xcr tires, DR D reverse lever, one industry graphics, Rock nerf bars. FCI Intake, dynatek ignition.

KDH123

:rofl:
Got the thing out finally! It was bent. Took a 3 foot piece of square steel tubing and welded a bolt the same size as the pivot bolt and banged it out with sledge. Worked like a charm. Now on to better things.
06 Raptor 700
+5 hot rods crank
pcIII
dynatek programmable
HC stage 2 cam
Kibble springs
mild port
prodesign intake w/K&N
Gt Thunder rear link
+2 a-arms

Out Back Welding