Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Found this government statistics on another forum.  (Read 5929 times)

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 23
  • I'm all out of quotes, take off hoser
Re: Found this government statistics on another forum.
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2008, 11:01:31 AM »
Bush let the Brady Bill expire, the bill named for James Brady, who was shot by John Hinckley, Jr. during an attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981.

The Brady Bill Act initially required purchasers to wait up to five days for a background check to occur before being allowed to purchase a handgun. If the background check was returned before the five days had elapsed, then the transfer could occur at that time, and if the check had not been completed in five days, then the transfer was allowed to occur. In some states, proof of a previous background check could be used to bypass the wait. For example, a state-issued concealed carry permit usually included a background check equivalent to the one required by the Act and could be used in place of the Act's check. Many states passed shall issue concealed carry laws in the wake of the Act's passing. The Act applied only to transfers from a dealer licensed to sell guns by the Treasury Department to a private individual. Sales between private parties could not be covered under the Act because the federal government had no jurisdiction to restrict intrastate commerce. The provision in the Act that mandated local law enforcement officials to carry out background checks was struck down by the Supreme Court in 1997 because, the court ruled, it violated the Federalism provisions of the Constitution (see below). In many jurisdictions, no attempt was made to process the background checks, and the Act became a simple five day waiting period.

The waiting period provision of the Act expired in 1998 when the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) came online. NICS is managed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The system runs database checks on criminal records. A handgun purchaser may still have to wait for up to three business days if the NICS system fails to positively approve or deny his or her application to purchase a firearm; if the denial is not issued within those three days, the transfer may be completed at that time. State alternatives to the background check, such as state-issued handgun permits or mandatory state or local checks, may still bypass the NICS check.

Info obtained via Wikipedia.

~Brian

2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Bush let the Brady Bill expire, the bill named for James Brady, who was shot by John Hinckley, Jr. during an attempted assassination of President Ronald Reagan on March 30, 1981.

The Brady Bill Act initially required purchasers to wait up to five days for a background check to occur before being allowed to purchase a handgun. If the background check was returned before the five days had elapsed, then the transfer could occur at that time, and if the check had not been completed in five days, then the transfer was allowed to occur. In some states, proof of a previous background check could be used to bypass the wait. For example, a state-issued concealed carry permit usually included a background check equivalent to the one required by the Act and could be used in place of the Act's check. Many states passed shall issue concealed carry laws in the wake of the Act's passing. The Act applied only to transfers from a dealer licensed to sell guns by the Treasury Department to a private individual. Sales between private parties could not be covered under the Act because the federal government had no jurisdiction to restrict intrastate commerce. The provision in the Act that mandated local law enforcement officials to carry out background checks was struck down by the Supreme Court in 1997 because, the court ruled, it violated the Federalism provisions of the Constitution (see below). In many jurisdictions, no attempt was made to process the background checks, and the Act became a simple five day waiting period.

The waiting period provision of the Act expired in 1998 when the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) came online. NICS is managed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The system runs database checks on criminal records. A handgun purchaser may still have to wait for up to three business days if the NICS system fails to positively approve or deny his or her application to purchase a firearm; if the denial is not issued within those three days, the transfer may be completed at that time. State alternatives to the background check, such as state-issued handgun permits or mandatory state or local checks, may still bypass the NICS check.

Info obtained via Wikipedia.

~Brian

Didn't they replace it with a new bill?  I remember that because I was pissed that he did that, but then I thought they replaced it with a new one.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2008, 01:27:31 PM »
I wouldn't call it replaced. I think there needs to be a five day rule still. More of a "cooling off" period in case someone decides to buy a gun and go shooting in a school. 

The five-day waiting period for handgun purchases expired on November 30, 1998 and was replaced by a computerized criminal background check prior to any firearm purchase from a dealer holding a Federal Firearms License (FFL). All dealers, manufacturers and importers must verify the identity of a non-FFL customer and receive authorization from the National Instant Check System (NICS) which often takes only minutes instead of the several-day waiting period.

Unless an exception applies or the purchase is being made using an approved alternative method, Brady Law requires that background checks for individuals be conducted before a firearm may be purchased from a dealer, manufacturer or importer. Unless there are additional state restrictions, the firearm may be taken upon NICS approval. Purchases from a non-FFL seller are not subject to the Brady Law, but may be covered under other federal, state, and local restrictions. This distinction prevails without regard to the locus of the sale. Thus FFL sales at gun shows are still subject to NICS approval while private sales are not. The so-called "Gun Show Loophole" would be more accurately called a "Private Sale Loophole."

The Brady Law does not apply to licensed Curios & Relics (C&R) collectors, but only in respect to C&R firearms. The FFL Category 03 Curio & Relic license costs $30 and is valid for 3 years. Licensed C&R collectors may also purchase C&R firearms from private individuals or from federal firearms dealers, whether in their home state or in another state, and ship C&R firearms in interstate commerce by common carrier. Curios or relics are defined in 27 CFR 478.11 as "Firearms which are of special interest to collectors by reason of some quality other than is associated with firearms intended for sporting use or as offensive or defensive weapons." The regulation further states

To be recognized as curios or relics, firearms must fall within one of the following categories:

(a) Firearms which were manufactured at least 50 years prior to the current date, but not including replicas thereof;

(b) Firearms which are certified by the curator of a municipal, State, or Federal museum which exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest; or

(c) Any other firearms which derive a substantial part of their monetary value from the fact that they are novel, rare, bizarre, or because of their association with some historical figure, period, or event. Proof of qualification of a particular firearm under this category may be established by evidence of present value and evidence that like firearms are not available except as collector's items, or that the value of like firearms available in ordinary commercial channels is substantially less.

Obtained via Wikipedia.

~Brian

2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2008, 01:29:29 PM »
Even though we have the technology to do the background check faster I still think they should make someone wait for it. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2008, 01:31:29 PM »
Even though we have the technology to do the background check faster I still think they should make someone wait for it. 

Agreed.

A lot can happen in five days.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2008, 01:33:06 PM »

Agreed.

A lot can happen in five days.

~Brian

Like the dude buying a gun out of anger. 
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »
Exactly.

Cooling of period.

We have more gun related deaths/crimes in this country than any country in the world.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2008, 01:36:27 PM »
Exactly.

Cooling of period.

We have more gun related deaths/crimes in this country than any country in the world.

~Brian

Really?  Down there?  What about the west bank?

07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2008, 01:40:53 PM »
Exactly.

Cooling of period.

We have more reported gun related deaths/crimes in this country than any country in the world.

~Brian

I think that's more accurate.  I've been allot of places that lullabied the kids to sleep with the sound of gunfire

Offline ThisGuyAlex

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2008, 01:41:36 PM »
keep the war poltics to urself i'm a vet
sold the raptor....full on 05 yfz in progress...

stock parts: fuel tank, swingarm and rear shock

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2008, 01:42:40 PM »
Exactly.

Cooling of period.

We have more reported gun related deaths/crimes in this country than any country in the world.

~Brian

I think that's more accurate.  I've been allot of places that lullabied the kids to sleep with the sound of gunfire

lebanon comes to mind.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2008, 01:43:37 PM »
keep the war poltics to urself i'm a vet

We have quite a few vets here.  Aaron is one, Little buddha, raptorfreeek.  Its an open forum so I think this thread is ok.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Flynbyu

• VIP
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2008, 01:45:28 PM »
Exactly.

Cooling of period.

~Brian

The US has more gun related deaths than anyone in the world. Canada has a larger percentage of gun owners than the US and has very few gun related deaths.

An average of 81 people die per day in ths US to gun related deaths.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2008, 01:45:32 PM »
Exactly.

Cooling of period.

~Brian

lebanon comes to mind.

Pick any central African country  :(

I do agree there is a problem with guns in the US though.  I'm just not smart enough to know an answer that keeps the spirit of the 2nd ammendment and protects the people.

Aaron

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2008, 01:47:50 PM »
Exactly.

Cooling of period.

~Brian

The US has more gun related deaths than anyone in the world. Canada has a larger percentage of gun owners than the US and has very few gun related deaths.

An average of 81 people die per day in ths US to gun related deaths.

~Brian

Too much stupid here I guess.

But I would think it would be much higher in other parts of the world, but if you have some facts on it I would love to see it.  I could be shocked.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum