Cam Warz

Started by Troy, September 14, 2009, 04:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colorado700R

Quote from: Krandall on September 16, 2009, 09:13:00 AM
When will your bike see a dyno Aaron?

Maybe we can find someone w/ a 5050 and we can talk phucker in to getting a deal on a barker cam?

How much do Mr Horsepower cams run and do we know anyone that'd donate one for a couple days?

Possibly this weekend, but funds are tight, so I dunno

Krandall

When will you know? Obviously sooner the better? at least 3 cams on your bike would be sweet.

ohhhh troyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :)

can we borrow your web? :D

I'll have Hefe get ahold of Phucker and see what kinda deal we can score on a barker cam and how soon we could get it out there. :thumbs: ;)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Troy

The last time I talked to Tim he was OK with sending a cam to test.  I think Aaron's bike is already going to be past the RJ and 5050 type cams do to compression alone, but that is just my opinion.  Those cams seem to do much better on lower compression builds.  His bike is going to be right around 14:1 and with a stroker crank, I'd go for a big top end cam and be done with it.  This is assuming the RJ and the 5050 have similar characteristics.  I know on mine I've already been down that road with the 5050, 5150, x4, and Web4 tests back to back, and yes it take a FULL day on the dyno to test that many cams.  And that is assuming everything goes fast with no mistakes anywhere.  I was hoping to already have mine up and running and dyno'd but too many projects and too little time this week so we'll have to see what this weekend brings.  I'll be happy just to have mine and Aaron's back in one piece and running good at this point.  It sounds like we can make this happen one way or the other as long as we provide plenty of time to get this figured out. 

DL700

A DAY LATE AND A DOLLAR SHORT  :rofl:

......personally Ive spent too much money and time on cams test already, knowing what works best in the type of builds we works with here....

Troys cam test is his build wasn't FREE to him or me either.........

There are only 2 cams i use in +2 and up ported heads

and 3 cams i use in stock heads.......(yes, ive stuffed a HDD5050 .500 lift cam in a STOCK head... and it works awesome)
CUERVO RACING

DL700

:thumbs:

Compression and duration go hand in hand.....

REMEMBER GUYS, ITS ALL ABOUT THE COMBO!!!!

PHUCKER will  have a few cams in his hands soon enough for his build.... a HIGH LIFT/MILD duration and a HIGH LIFT/ WILD duration
CUERVO RACING

Troy

Agreed Daniel, we also need to keep in mind if we do get people to send cams for testing they get a used cam back.  When Daniel sent me those cams to test I kept one and sent two used cams out, that was FAR from free, let alone cheap.  I hope people understand how much time and money goes into doing something like this in the long run, it's not just what the dyno cost.  The suppliers of the goodies usually take a hit also to get results out.  So what are we going to test?

1badazz_700r

i have an idea to help with some ofthe cost for those that really want to know what cams work well ETC..... everyone that is even a slight bit interested paypal colorado $10-20 to help with the funds a little, cause lets face it this shit isnt cheap and it takes time. On the flip of this it could save alot of people money because they could choose the right cam the first time. For the people donating new cams or used for this, the cams could be posted on here as an auction type sale with the money divided up between those people involved or sell them on ebay. I think its only right to try to raise a little money for you guys involved this. JMO

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Colorado700R

I'm working on some ideas first before anyone sends anyone $$$, I'd like to figure out the best way for the least money to get the results we're looking for...Stay tuned.

Krandall

Do cams really "go bad"?

I would think resale of a cam can't be to horrible. I'm game for whatever to see this happen.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

1badazz_700r

Im game for it :thumbs: Im just saying we have all wasted 20.00 on stupid shit so here is a chance to spend 20.00 on something worth it. I dont think its right to want you guys to do this much testing and spend that much time for free.

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Troy

Usually they don't go bad Krandall, I'm just saying that if a sponsor was to send a cam for testing, it's no longer a new cam.  In my case Daniel ponied up big time with 3 brand new cams for me to test just to see what they would do on a different build on some independent testing.  So there is the initial cost of 3 cams, shipping, someone else testing them, me keeping one of them, the other getting sent out for more testing, and selling the last one for cheap.  And that is just on Daniel's end of the deal.  I know 3 cams seems like no big deal at all, but if you are in Daniel or Kenny's shoes, you don't sell hundreds of these cams, maybe a dozen or two.  I'm willing to bet Daniel and Kenny knows where everyone of the cams they sold are at.  I'm not trying to say the cams are worthless by any means after a test like this, I just want everyone to realize that if a sponsor is sending a new cam to test it's going to end up costing them something for sure.  That and most of the guys have access to their own dyno's, so when they send stuff out for independent testing to me they are stepping up above and beyond the call of duty.  I'm not trying to sound negative at all, just wanting anyone who is interested in this whole idea to kind of have a rough idea of how much goes into it.

DL700

resale on a cam that is used, or not in its origonal condition can be a loss of $100 each

most companies have "demo units" where i have o few of my own out as well...
CUERVO RACING

Colorado700R

I'd like to test what we got.  RJ and Web 4 in either your or my build, show the deltas in HP and TQ.  If tim wants to send a Cam, by all means I would like to test it, but like you said, this isn't "free" for anyone.

I'm also interested to see the results in Walden/LS in oct.  Troy's and Gunz builds are similar right now.  Gunz runs the barker head and cam, Troy's got the motha of all RE heads and the web 4.  

My systems engineering side is kicking in so standbye...:lol:

Also it'll be nice if we can "borrow" some road cones, and a surveyors tape, and a stop watch to accurately record run times can be averaged (actually use standard deviation to eliminate outliers for a higher level of accuracy) for each bike.

Caveats/assumptions:
Jockeys required
Jockeys weighed on each bike
•   Bathroom scales would work, even with just one (weigh at all four corners).  Really don't need the "true" weight, just identify differences between bikes.  Bike weight balance differences might be cool to learn some setup ideas too.
Jockeys will report successful runs for record
•   if it's a bad start, track conditions too rough, etc we don't want bad runs skewing results
Owners will give full build disclosure
•   we want the parts lists
•   I will do the research on the parts to find "Average Joe costs"
•   Fuel used
•   Power adders (Roy)
End product:
Time results posted per bike using Standard deviation to establish means
Weight differences posted for each bike
Motor build cost for each bike
1v1 race videos posted for side by side comparison in competition.

So What? (what can the average Joe get from this?)
He can see what builds ran with bike and rider weight accounted for, how much it costs vs how much faster it was. Then they can make their own decisions on whether the speed achieved is worth any extra costs (including fuel).  In example if my motor build cost 2K more than russ', but was only a tenth or two slower and I had to run 15 dollar a gallon gas, is that tenth or two worth 2K? Probably not.

Colorado700R

nice part of the "real world" testing is it's cheap and some of us could watch the show with a cold beer in hand :nod:

Troy

watch the show with a cold beer in hand?  I'm going to be piloting with a cold beer in hand.