Front Sprocket / oil leak question

Started by Danny T, July 20, 2009, 12:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Danny T

i was reading over on the other site and on the 660 they said they did not have to split the case. on another note i honestly dont think i have a leak. Is it possible that my sprocket nut simply came loose from vibration and not enough torque from the previous sprocket exchange, maybe the collar came loose from the pressure and the oil leaked?

Livingmylife93

Yes its possible that your sprocket could have worked its way off, especially if you didnt flip the washer back up to the side of the nut.

But i dont think  just running without a sprocket would cause an oil leak if thats what your saying... Maybe the sprocket was so loose that everytime you got on the gas it jerked the hell out of that countershaft, leading to a ruptured seal.

Danny T

ok after reading lots of threads seems to be pretty easy. can do it without spliting the cases! I am going to stop by sears and get a seal puller, my seal should be in this weekend. Any tips on installing the new seal?

Thanks will report back when parts come in.

Danny T

so changing the seal was a piece of cake! use a 5.99 seal puller from home depot. looks like a handle with 2 different size hooks on each side, it was rather easy getting the seal out. There was a tare on the inside of the seal which could have cause the leak... once i replaced the leak and O ring i put everything back together and wala... NO MORE LEAK! wahoo thanks for the inspiration!

09RappySE

Good job!...glad it worked out for you.
734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 12:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 74hp 52Tq

07 LT-R450
500cc Kit
Porting by Bo
DMC Pro Comp 4
Trinity intake
ATP intake Cam
Tuned by EHS 50hp 34Tq

Krandall

And it's very cool knowing you fixed it yourself! :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

now that it is fixed...you sure it wasn't just hair gel?  :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on July 28, 2009, 09:22:26 AM

SWOOOP!  :rofl:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Danny T

lol i put some short and sexy gel and WALA it held the leak HAHAHAH!!!!!!!

Peelz

Quote from: Danny T on July 28, 2009, 03:26:28 PM

lol i put some short and sexy gel and WALA it held the leak HAHAHAH!!!!!!!

that's hot  :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

fireman5166

good to know because I will be fixing my leak in my bike this weekend.  :thumbs:
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

Danny T

Quote from: fireman5166 on July 30, 2009, 01:46:01 AM
good to know because I will be fixing my leak in my bike this weekend.  :thumbs:

is it in the same spot?

fireman5166

yep. same spot. good to know that it isn't all that hard to do. all I was was thinking was split the case and that would be $$$$$$$$$$$$
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

Danny T

Quote from: fireman5166 on July 31, 2009, 01:15:13 PM
yep. same spot. good to know that it isn't all that hard to do. all I was was thinking was split the case and that would be $$$$$$$$$$$$

lemme know if you have any questions although its pretty str8 forward and easy. When removing the collar just wrap it in a towel and use a pair of pliers..