Keeping the chain clean

Started by Ranger, July 19, 2009, 02:45:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

So what's everyone's secret? Every time I try to lube mine up it just makes a big mess...

Gunz

Wax, either way it's gonna make a mess.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Alkire193

Agree, wax. But to clean them up I use the brush that has a "U" shape on one end and the other end has a detailer. It cleans my chain like new everytime, then I dry it quick and wax it.

Ranger

dgreenbluet

i use a spray wax, but it kinda gunks up and collects dirt and will throw all over everything if u use too much
08 Rapester/734cc 105.5mm Bore/11:1 JE Piston/Big Bore Barkers/FCI wBox/Dynateck Prog. Ign./PCIII/15T Sprocket/Trail Tech Vapor wDash Mount/Moose Nerf, Heel Guards, Race Pegs/Full Skids/Bling Star Victory Bumper/Six Pack Rack

Livingmylife93

Maxima Chain Wax, let it dry overnight before you ride.

Bert

You could try this.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=35&navTitle=Drive&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=15624

Use a rag & wipe off the excess lube so it doesn't sling all over your quad.
I also use rags on the swing arm to catch the overspray keeping things cleaner.

Jamie700R

Quote from: Bert on July 20, 2009, 04:36:22 AM
You could try this.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=35&navTitle=Drive&webCatId=9&prodFamilyId=15624

Use a rag & wipe off the excess lube so it doesn't sling all over your quad.
I also use rags on the swing arm to catch the overspray keeping things cleaner.

Thats what i use. It works great getting all of the dirt and old chain lube off.

Headrope

To clean: I use that Grunge Brush thing and the cleaner that comes with it. I'm probably breaking a rule but only really "clean" it once a year. Every other time I just shoot it with a high-pressure hose like the rest of the quad and let it air-dry.

To keep clean: I use Maxima Racing Oils Chain Wax. It sprays on and only seems to collect sand/dirt if you don't let it set up first. I ride in sand, mud, water, snow - about anywhere I can - and this stuff seems to hold up fine. The wax really only 'flings off' if you don't follow the instructions on the back of the can. The two bigguns: "Preheat chain with a five-minute ride" and "Allow spray to set up for 10 to 15 minutes." Follow those two rules when putting on a fresh coat before it ride and you'll be just fine. It's pretty much unbeatable.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Blair

this is the chain lube i use... doesnt gunk up and seems to work really well...

designed for off road use

http://www.motul-canada.com/en/products/products_other.shtml?panel=0
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -

Ranger

Well I'm using the Bel-ray stuff from RMATV...I generally try to ride for a few minutes before I spray it on but it's a pita to not overspray while pushing the quad

Peelz

Quote from: Ranger on July 28, 2009, 11:45:15 AM
Well I'm using the Bel-ray stuff from RMATV...I generally try to ride for a few minutes before I spray it on but it's a pita to not overspray while pushing the quad

set swingarm on a box, and just turn the axle. I don't worry about the mess too much. Oiled chain is necessary.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Woolfman

I hear the sidewinder synthetic is very good not sticky doesn't flip all over and very good lube.

06 Raptor 700 white and silver Sparks X-6, PC3, Pro Design K&N no lid, HC3, CP 11.5:1, K&T Port&Polished head w/ Webb springs & +2 Valves, SE Shocks Rear shock rebuilt by Wiigstyle racing.