Fact O' The Day

Started by Krandall, July 07, 2009, 07:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rappyfreak

'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Krandall

"Your brain benefits in different ways from different kinds of exercise."

Frequent exercise has been previously shown to benefit cognitive function, but an analysis of more than 100 studies has indicated exactly how. According to study author Michelle Voss, weight-lifting and other resistance training specifically benefit a person's ability to focus amid distractions. Aerobic exercise, on the other hand, improves a person's capacity for long-term planning and ability to concentrate for long periods of time. Both are effective at preventing the decline that comes with age. Separate studies found that in seniors over 60, the hippocampus typically shrinks up to 2% a year, but in seniors who are physically active, the region actually grows by the same amount.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Krandall

"Copying someone's mannerisms may make observers view you as less competent."

Mirroring someone else's behavior is a common and often unconscious social gesture. One of the most relatable examples is that upon hearing laughter your brain prepares your facial muscles to laugh. In a study at UC San Diego, participants watched videos of staged interviews in which a subject mirrored the physical behaviors of an interviewer. In videos where the interviewer was noticeably unfriendly, study participants rated the mimicker as less competent than a subject who performed no mimicking. In an experiment in which the interviewer was hidden, subjects didn't rate the mimicker as less competent; their disapproval of his ability was due entirely to the visible mirroring behavior.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Krandall

"Dogs are better than much smarter animals at understanding humans."

A study in the journal PLoS One indicated that domestication has so altered the behavior of dogs over time that even untrained puppies are able to understand gestures like human pointing, while chimpanzees, humans' closest relatives in the animal kingdom, are not. In the study, humans pointed to an object that was within reach of the subject animal (either a dog or a chimpanzee), and if the animal retrieved the object, it received a treat. The chimpanzees largely ignored the humans, while the dogs were much more responsive. According to the study authors, the effect of domestication is so pronounced that even some cats naturally understand pointing gestures (though much less so than dogs).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

preddy08

Quote from: Krandall on February 20, 2012, 08:55:09 AM
"Dogs are better than much smarter animals at understanding humans."

A study in the journal PLoS One indicated that domestication has so altered the behavior of dogs over time that even untrained puppies are able to understand gestures like human pointing, while chimpanzees, humans' closest relatives in the animal kingdom, are not. In the study, humans pointed to an object that was within reach of the subject animal (either a dog or a chimpanzee), and if the animal retrieved the object, it received a treat. The chimpanzees largely ignored the humans, while the dogs were much more responsive. According to the study authors, the effect of domestication is so pronounced that even some cats naturally understand pointing gestures (though much less so than dogs).

:+1: FOR THAT!

Funny you mention that. I woke up last weekend about 8ish with a massive hangover to a hungry dog. This is my morning :lol: I feed her at 8am and 8pm. This was seriously 8am on the DOT!

Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Krandall

:lol: Awesome

that's how my parents dogs are... if my mom isn't up @ 7:00am to feed the dog.. he's in the kitchen racing around waiting for it. :lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz

dogs are smart because they get hungry and jump on your bed you to wake up??  :confused:

please explain.

also, please help me understand why you sleep with a camera AND a dog in your bed.

:lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Magz

two reasons peels..........

morning wood and peanut butter  :rofl:

Peelz

Quote from: Magz on February 21, 2012, 09:56:18 AM
two reasons peels..........

morning wood and peanut butter  :rofl:

:thumbs:

carry on then.

:rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Peelz

nice try on the name change Krandall.  :rofl:

I am not negative. I am realistic. 8)

You believe dogs are smart, because you choose to.

Getting hungry and doing what is necessary to get food is NOT intelligence. It is primal. IE: If you are hungry, you walk to the fridge and get food......because it is what you have learned to do.

the dog has learned to jump on the bed, and get food, because the owner continually gets up when he does it.

Therefore we are only as smart as a dog?  :rofl:

rappyfreak

wow peelsy, you're sounding like MD!  :horsepop1:  :rofl:
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Krandall

You're destined to be an old bastard peels.

cripes.

I don't choose to think dogs are smart. There are some better than others.. Some who train easier than others... Does that make them smart? sure as hell does... Everything you learned to do.. You've been "trained" to do so. Using a toilet. using a fork, using a knife, driving your car.. everything. what makes you smarter than the dog?

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz

that is my point. dogs are dumb, and so are we.  :rofl: the difference is the ability to think through those actions. And move past them should the need arise.

I will say the fact is correct, though. they are smarter than most animals. But still, not "smart" MY argument is that the pic has nothing to do with this. If it "understood humans" it would gtfo off the bed, and lay down until the owner got up. Preddy's dog is well behaved though...

But...If I woke up to what is in that pic, you'd be peeling the dog off the wall. But that's just me. I wouldnt allow a dog into an intimate spot like my bed. Do you wanna have sex in dog hair and mites? I certainly don't. :lol: I prefer the safety of the dumpster behind Walmart.  :rofl:

Note: the cat we had would do that too. EXACTLY the same thing. so argue that dogs are smarter, go for it.....cuz that is incredible BS. And yes...after a few collisons with said wall, it "learned" to knock that shit off.  :bslap:

I will be an old bastard indeed. :kiss:  :rofl:

I love pointless arguments on RS :lol:

Krandall

"People with more friends have bigger brains."

Specifically, people with more friends have a bigger orbital frontal cortex (the part of the brain just above the eyes). Research published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B posits that the cognitive skills (like empathy) we use for maintaining large networks of friends are dependent on this specific brain region. Furthermore, MRI images illustrated that, when asked to mentally list their friends (as opposed to just their business associates), participants with a bigger orbital frontal cortex also tended to have more friends and were better at the kinds of social skills that involve juggling large social networks.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz