Fact O' The Day

Started by Krandall, July 07, 2009, 07:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonz

Quote from: Krandall on September 29, 2011, 08:47:00 AM
"People without siblings are more likely to have successful careers."

According to a CareerBuilder survey of 5,708 American workers, an only child is more likely to earn a six-figure salary and more likely to have a corporate title than someone with siblings. Only children also tend toward positions in engineering, law enforcement and information technology. However, people who do have siblings are more likely to be happy at their jobs. Among workers with brothers and sisters, first-born children are the most likely to earn six figures, while middle children are the most likely to earn sub-$35,000 salaries.

Well, I'm the youngest in my family & I earn the most!
2003 Raptor 660LE
719cc with Kenz 13.5:1 piston
X-4 cam & no decomp
39mm FCR's
HV ported head
Ferrea SS Valves
CT Sonic Exhaust
GYTR Clutch

ASR +3+1 A-Arms & Works Tripple Rates
450 Front Calipers
+2 Extended Swingarm
G-Force Axle & Hubs.
Pro Armour Skid Plate
Tusk Nerfs

Gonna be a fun ride now!

Krandall

"People's reactions to their cell phones show some hallmarks of addiction."

After a recent op-ed in The New York Times ("You Love Your iPhone. Literally.") suggested that attachment to smartphones bears more similarities to love than to addiction, science journalists have begun to comment on the truth of that assertion. Kelly McGonigal at Psychology Today points out that the insular cortex -- which experiences a "flurry of activation" when exposed to video of a ringing, vibrating iPhone -- is actually strongly associated with addiction, as well as other brain functions. In fact, according to a 2007 study, the insula is a "critical neural substrate" in addiction, one involved in conscious urges like cigarette smoking.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

rookie

Spartan

Krandall

"Researchers have developed a wasabi-based fire alarm."

The Ig Nobel Prize -- an award bestowed by a satirical science magazine called the Annals of Improbable Research -- honors humorous but thought-provoking scientific discoveries each year. The 2011 winner of the chemistry prize is a team of Japanese researchers who won for "determining the ideal density of airborne wasabi (pungent horseradish) to awaken sleeping people in case of a fire". The practical application of this research is a silent but effective fire alarm (or general purpose alarm), for which the group now has a patent.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Krandall

"People who blush are more trustworthy."

Two recent UC Berkeley studies examined the social connotations of blushing. The first asked participants to talk about embarrassing memories, then asked them to share some raffle tickets they'd been given with a partner. The more the participants blushed, the more likely they were to share. The second study tested participants' level of trust in an actor who was demonstrating either pride or embarrassment. They found the actor more trustworthy when he was embarrassed than when he was proud.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Krandall

"Only about 1% of people are "early birds.""

About half of people fall in the middle of the "night owl/early bird" spectrum, and around 17% have delayed sleep phases (and thus are "night owls"). About 1% of people have advanced sleep phases, falling asleep early and waking progressively earlier. Though the circumstances of a person's life can influence his or her biological clock, a person's essential "chronotype" (or "circadian type") never changes. It's defined by genetics and biology.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on October 07, 2011, 07:59:57 AM
"Only about 1% of people are "early birds.""

About half of people fall in the middle of the "night owl/early bird" spectrum, and around 17% have delayed sleep phases (and thus are "night owls"). About 1% of people have advanced sleep phases, falling asleep early and waking progressively earlier. Though the circumstances of a person's life can influence his or her biological clock, a person's essential "chronotype" (or "circadian type") never changes. It's defined by genetics and biology.

my circadian rhythm is weird.

But you'll have that with amphetamines.  ;)
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

:rofl: Totally understand.. we coulda used your product when driving to OK peelz. :(

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Colorado700R

If there's a circadian rhythm for going to bed ~930pm, and still waking up wanting to burn the world and everyone in it....

It should be called "Nikki's Rhythm"  :lol:

Hefe

are you sure its not Nikki's Cycle?

Peelz

Quote from: Colorado700R on October 07, 2011, 08:59:09 AM
If there's a circadian rhythm for going to bed ~930pm, and still waking up wanting to burn the world and everyone in it....

It should be called "Nikki's Rhythm"  :lol:

LOL!

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Hefe

Fact:
Peels is whoring today!

Krandall

fact.. peelz is a WHORE

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz

fact: only a whore can truly spot another whore.

hard to whore on you own.  :lol: