Fact O' The Day

Started by Krandall, July 07, 2009, 07:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on May 09, 2011, 07:32:26 AM
"Facebook improves its users' self-esteem."

A study in the journal Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking tested the theory that the internet can influence self-esteem by offering people the chance to selectively show the best of themselves (as opposed to, for example, the objectivity of a mirror). Participants were seated by a computer that was either on and showed their Facebook profiles or off. Some of the students seated by turned-off computers were also near mirrors. After the participants with Facebook access were given time to navigate through their profiles, everyone was given a self-esteem questionnaire. The Facebook group reported higher self-esteem, with the highest self-esteem coming from those who'd edited their profiles in that span.

until idiot rednecks delete you when they cant take a joke :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

"Powerful women are as likely as powerful men to have affairs."

Though past studies have reported that men are more likely to cheat, a Psychological Science survey that sought to limit its scope to powerful men and women concluded that infidelity has less to do with gender than with power and confidence. According to psychologist Dr. Joris Lammers, "We found that among powerful people, gender made no difference" and the relationship between infidelity, and power and self-esteem were far more important indicators.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Lady4Fiddy

Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Krandall

"Men rely on the lower-left quadrant of the face to express emotion."

Women tend to display emotions with the entirety of their faces, but men's emotional displays tend to be localized in the lower-left quadrant of their faces, according to University of Florida researchers. In men’s brains, language is localized in the left hemisphere; the same functions are more evenly distributed in women. Study researcher Dawn Bowers explained it this way: because men’s brains are more compartmentalized, the triggers for emotional expression may operate in the same way as language distribution.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Krandall

"You should neither starve a cold nor feed a fever."

Doctors Mehmet Oz and Michael Roizen simplify this myth to "whether you have a cold or fever, listen to your body," eat healthy foods and drink a lot of liquids. Food and rest help your body's T cells and B cells -- lymphocytes involved in your immune response -- fight off illness, and neither is particularly helped by starvation.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Colorado700R

Quote from: Krandall on May 12, 2011, 07:36:34 AM
"You should neither starve a cold nor feed a fever."

Doctors Mehmet Oz and Michael Roizen simplify this myth to "whether you have a cold or fever, listen to your body," eat healthy foods and drink a lot of liquids. Food and rest help your body's T cells and B cells -- lymphocytes involved in your immune response -- fight off illness, and neither is particularly helped by starvation.

This doesn't apply to Pealer, he has no T-Cells anyway.

Peelz

Krandall

"The first automobile assembly line was used by Oldsmobile, not Ford."

The assembly line concept actually dates back much further than either man, but the first to apply the idea to automobiles was Ransom E. Olds, the namesake of both Oldsmobile and REO. The Oldsmobile assembly line used the familiar assembly line principle of workers specializing in single tasks out of a larger process, but Ford revolutionized the idea by having the line itself move while the workers remained stationary. For a time, Oldsmobile was king: the company sold 5,000 cars in 1904, making it the top seller in America.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Krandall

"One of Nostradamus's first works was a recipe book."

French apothecary Michel de Nostredame, better known as the seer "Nostradamus," published several works besides The Prophecies for which he is best remembered. One of the first was his Traite des fardemens et confitures, whose English title is Excellent and very useful Treatise necessary for all those who desire to have knowledge of several exquisite Recipes. The book contains recipes for making cosmetics, some of which are quite poisonous, and also acts as a cookbook. The latter section includes preparation instructions for cherry jam, pear preserves and marzipan.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Krandall

"Intelligent people drink more."

The UK's National Child Development Study has been ongoing since 1958, when it initially classified its participating youths as "very dull," "dull," "normal," "bright," or "very bright." The children from these different groups grew up to drink alcohol in similar proportions, with "very bright" subjects drinking the most, followed by "bright" subjects, and so on. This trend is true for both British and American children. Psychology Today argues that with all other demographics are accounted for, it's not that more intelligent people wind up in social situations where drinking merely happens to be more likely; rather, it appears to be that intelligence is a contributing factor in motivating some people to drink in the first place.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Krandall

"You are taller in the morning than at night."

Over the course of a day in which you're standing upright, slight compression of the discs decreases your height by the time you finally go to bed. There can be an up to one-inch difference between day and night. Between the spine's 29 vertebrae are intervertebral discs, composed of a fibrous outer layer and an interior nucleus pulposus that has the consistency of gel. This gel is what protects the spine against compressive forces, and displacement of the nucleus pulposus that tears the outer layer is one of the causes of sciatica. These discs are also responsible for, in total, about a foot of an adult's height.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on May 18, 2011, 08:12:18 AM
"You are taller in the morning than at night."

Over the course of a day in which you're standing upright, slight compression of the discs decreases your height by the time you finally go to bed. There can be an up to one-inch difference between day and night. Between the spine's 29 vertebrae are intervertebral discs, composed of a fibrous outer layer and an interior nucleus pulposus that has the consistency of gel. This gel is what protects the spine against compressive forces, and displacement of the nucleus pulposus that tears the outer layer is one of the causes of sciatica. These discs are also responsible for, in total, about a foot of an adult's height.

poor littlebuddha :rofl:

Krandall

"A brand-new Chicago library is staffed by robots."
The University of Chicago's Joe and Rika Mansueto Library applies the same principles of automated storage and retrieval used by automakers to its bookshelves. Instead of taking up floor space, books are shelved underground, in 50-foot-high stacks, where the bar-coded materials are accessed by automated robot cranes. The system allows the library to stock 3.5 million volumes in one-seventh the space that would be necessary for the racks to be human-accessible.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Colorado700R

So us non-spelling folk are screwed :lol:

I just wanted the "Karmasutra", but instead i got "where in the world is Carmen San Deigo"

:cry: