Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 85036 times)

Offline frog69

• Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 0
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #900 on: December 01, 2010, 06:57:12 AM »
right on!!! :rofl: :lol: :thumbs:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #901 on: December 01, 2010, 09:19:03 AM »
The term "wild goose chase" is a Shakespearean reference to horses.'

Used by Mercutio in Romeo and Juliet, the term that now refers to the hopeless pursuit of a pointless goal apparently had a similar meaning in Shakespeare's day, but with a separate figurative connotation. Referring either to a game played by riders or to the behavior of galloping horses themselves, the phrase evoked horses chasing after a single lead horse, thereby winding up in a geese-like "V" formation. (On the other hand, a "wild-goose chase," hyphenated, is literally just a chase for wild geese.)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline frog69

• Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #902 on: December 02, 2010, 06:51:59 AM »
the SR-71 black bird flexed and stretched up to 15 inches during its landing and flight. it's skin was designed to do this becuase of it's speed and how high if flew. the landing gear are one big peace of titanum. at the time they were being built, the usa didn't have enough so they bought almost all the titanum that went on the planes from Germany.  :nod:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #903 on: December 02, 2010, 07:36:23 AM »
SR-71 is a sweet bird!!! 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #904 on: December 02, 2010, 08:26:20 AM »
'The largest financial empire of the early 20th century was built on the production of matches.'

In his day, Ivar Kreuger may well have been the richest man in the world. The Swedish businessman and engineer eventually founded or acquired hundreds of companies, but the core of his business was his family's match factories. Kreuger's match business merged with several others, and when the Swedes invented safety matches, Kreuger's influence expanded until his companies (which included Diamond Match, Ohio Match and the International Match Corporation) were responsible for the bulk of the world's match production. Kreuger's empire was financially unsound, however, having been built on speculation and dummy corporations, and ended in utter financial collapse and Kreuger's suicide (although some speculation suggests that he may have been murdered).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #905 on: December 03, 2010, 07:52:52 AM »
'A company in New Zealand is producing functional jet packs.'

Christchurch's Martin Aircraft Company has begun developing several varieties of jet pack, including one for military use and another for recreational consumer use (the latter comes with an expectably high $100,000 sticker price). The company has produced working models of the device, which it classifies as an ultralight aircraft; Martin's website features several videos of the jet pack in use. Unlike earlier attempts to build similar personal flight devices, this jet pack has solved the thrust-to-weight problem, and can run for half an hour on five gallons of gas.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #906 on: December 03, 2010, 08:06:51 AM »
'A company in New Zealand is producing functional jet packs.'

Christchurch's Martin Aircraft Company has begun developing several varieties of jet pack, including one for military use and another for recreational consumer use (the latter comes with an expectably high $100,000 sticker price). The company has produced working models of the device, which it classifies as an ultralight aircraft; Martin's website features several videos of the jet pack in use. Unlike earlier attempts to build similar personal flight devices, this jet pack has solved the thrust-to-weight problem, and can run for half an hour on five gallons of gas.

vids & photos or this didnt happen.

no time for google searching :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #907 on: December 03, 2010, 09:08:52 AM »

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #908 on: December 03, 2010, 09:19:08 AM »
Can't you get a pretty decent plane for $100G ? Think I'd feel better in a plane... :lol:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #909 on: December 03, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »
Yea, but it's not a f*ckin JET PACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #910 on: December 03, 2010, 09:25:35 AM »
http://www.martinjetpack.com/the-martin-jetpack.aspx

thanks randy

I want one.

only 86k :lol: totally worth it if you had that.

i dig how they are controlling attitude and motion with the little X shaped deflectors.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Segkast

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
  • Hola Bitcholas !
    • Email
« Reply #911 on: December 03, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
I feel ya Randy, I'll wait until they work out a few more bugs myself though :lol:
Oury grips & Yamalube

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #912 on: December 03, 2010, 09:55:12 AM »

In this picture you see a man scared to death...what you don't see is his wife on the phone quadrupling his life insurance while shopping at the local Ferrari dealership!

:lol:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #913 on: December 03, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »
:lol:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #914 on: December 06, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »
'The letter J did not exist until the Renaissance.'

The original Latin alphabet omitted some letters we now use, and other letters served multiple purposes ("Z" was once the seventh letter, for example, and then briefly disappeared from the alphabet entirely). The "J" sound was considered part of the "I" sound, which is why, for instance, the inscription on Trajan's Column in Rome spells the emperor's name "TRAIAN." It remained that way until a grammarian named Gian Giorgio Trissino attempted to make improvements to literary Italian; some of his suggestions were disregarded, but his modern versions of the "V" and "J" caught on.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: