Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 84968 times)

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #825 on: October 13, 2010, 07:33:51 PM »
:rofl:
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #826 on: October 14, 2010, 08:55:28 AM »
'Development of functional invisibility is well underway.'

Light-bending metamaterials that could essentially "cloak" a two-dimensional object viewed from a specific direction existed back in 2006, but physicists are making consistent progress toward devices that can bend light around three-dimensional objects. Silicon "carpet cloaks" can achieve this effect already, and although they have only done so on an incredibly tiny scale, the technology can, in theory, work with larger objects. The limitations for viewing from a specific angle are also gradually being overcome; UC Berkeley physicists were "optimistic" in improving the technology to work from any angle within a few years.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #827 on: October 15, 2010, 09:12:11 AM »
'The first modern boxing match lasted 21 rounds.'
The first world heavyweight fight that involved boxing gloves and the new Marquess of Queensbury rules occurred in New Orleans in 1892. Several years before, reigning bare-knuckle champion John L. Sullivan had defended his title in a brutal, illegal bout that lasted 75 rounds and saw Sullivan vomit during the 44th. In 1892, he fought "Gentleman Jim" Corbett in a fight that ushered in a new era of respectability and legality for the sport. Corbett, fully 25 pounds lighter than Sullivan, but an educated and technical fighter, knocked Sullivan out in the 21st.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #828 on: October 17, 2010, 07:54:29 AM »
Fact of the day...Krandall is a slacker on the weekends

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #829 on: October 18, 2010, 08:10:56 AM »
I didnt sign onto a computer until about 10:00pm last night :(

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #830 on: October 18, 2010, 09:35:29 AM »
'The FBI's first mission was to investigate prostitution.'
Originally an unnamed force of agents whose purpose was to assist the Department of Justice, the FBI was founded in 1908 under Attorney General Charles J. Bonaparte. It was tasked with investigations relating to the Mann Act, also called the White-Slave Traffic Act, a law intended for the prosecution of illicit sexual behavior, including the transport of women for "debauchery, or for any other immoral purpose." J. Edgar Hoover became the first director of the agency (then the Bureau of Investigation), and the Mann Act went on to repeatedly influence American jurisprudence (it was used to prosecute Charles Manson, and is still on the books today).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #831 on: October 19, 2010, 10:03:04 AM »
'The phrase "O.K." expresses support for Martin Van Buren.'

The 1840 election saw the birth of political catchphrases involving both candidates -- the Whig Party's William Henry Harrison ("Tippecanoe and Tyler, too") and the Democratic Party's incumbent President, Martin Van Buren ("O.K." was an abbreviation for Old Kinderhook, his birthplace). Whether this is definitively the very first use of "O.K." is a matter of debate, but it was definitely used in a pro-Van Buren context, and it soon became part of the American linguistic consciousness.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #832 on: October 19, 2010, 10:14:24 AM »
interesting.

really.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline rappyfreak

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Yeepee kai ey marafaca!
    • Email
« Reply #833 on: October 19, 2010, 10:15:19 AM »
I thought it was from WW2 when platoons came back to base with "0 Killed"???
'06 Raptor 700: Yoshi RS-7 full, PCV, Pro Design Foam, EHS lid, Flexx bars, 2" Rox a/v risers, ASV C/5 levers, Powermadds, CCP, HDUSA i3500 +2 a-arms, Rap 700 SE front shocks redone by Wiig, Fox Podium X rear, DWT Drift rear and Hiper beadlocks, Pro Armor XC nerfs, Race grab bar, Tag Agro bumper/chassis skid, PRM 0.25" swinger skid

My name is Iñigo Montoya, you killed my father, prepare to die!

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #834 on: October 19, 2010, 10:19:57 AM »
couple different stories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Okay

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #835 on: October 20, 2010, 08:23:21 AM »
'One strike in Britain continued for 25 years.'

The longest-running strike in Britain's history started in 1914, in the form of English schoolchildren protesting the dismissal of their teachers. When the village school at Burston fired Kitty and Tom Higdon on (somewhat suspicious and unlikely) charges of abuse, their pupils marched out of the school and set up makeshift classes on the village green to be conducted by the schoolteachers. A proper school was built on the strength of donations in 1917 (the Burston Strike School). The school closed upon Tom's death in 1939, but still exists in the form of an educational charity.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #836 on: October 21, 2010, 07:40:06 AM »
'Swarming locusts have larger brains than non-swarming locusts.'

One of the most destructive pests on the planet, locusts can, when swarming, cover a fifth of the Earth's land surface, with swarms hundreds of miles across containing tens of millions of locusts per square mile. Most locusts don't swarm, however; the average locust is solitary and not part of a vast migratory group. According to Cambridge scientists, locusts who are kept solitary, while larger, have significantly smaller brains. Though solitary locusts have brains developed for responding to stimuli, swarming locusts are substantially more invested in learning and processing information, to the tune of a brain 30% larger than that of their solitary counterparts.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #837 on: October 21, 2010, 12:46:42 PM »
FACT: the "reply" button under each thread should be bigger. So people can see it easier. Apparently, we have lost it.  :lol:

no more whores, so lonely.  :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #838 on: October 21, 2010, 12:57:53 PM »
Fact.

Peelz is on strike 2.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #839 on: October 21, 2010, 01:09:04 PM »
fact:

Im sorry... no ban plz kthxbai