Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 84469 times)

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #735 on: August 20, 2010, 06:53:13 PM »
The .338 Lapua is the king of the sniper rifles these days and shoots a 350 grain bullet at 2800 fps or so. They kill bad guys at over a mile with that one.  

more:  The caliber was designed to arrive at 1000 meters with enough energy to penetrate 5 layers of military body armor and still make the kill. The effective range of this caliber is about 1 mile (1600meters) and in the right shooting conditions, it could come very close to the 2000 meter mark, provided you have the right rifle/ammo/optics/shooter/spotter combination. Realistically, 1200 meters is well within the average sniper.

:jaw:
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 12
    • Email
« Reply #736 on: August 22, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »
Fact of the Day.....
working everyday sucks.....might as well whore it up.

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #737 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:56 PM »
Fact of the Day.....
working everyday sucks.....might as well whore it up.

I'm right with you :mad:

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #738 on: August 22, 2010, 06:55:40 PM »
I wish I was working right now   :(
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #739 on: August 23, 2010, 08:30:17 AM »
'Teddy Roosevelt once gave a speech immediately after having been shot.'

In 1912, while campaigning for a third term (and as a third-party candidate), Roosevelt was shot in the chest in front of a Milwaukee hotel. The bullet passed through a glasses case and a folded speech in Roosevelt's pocket before lodging itself in his chest. The former president gave his speech anyway, speaking for almost an hour before finally going to the hospital.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #740 on: August 24, 2010, 08:53:39 AM »
The Great Wall of China is not especially visible from space.'

Though urban legend often asserts that the Great Wall of China is the only man-made object visible from space, the Wall itself is difficult to discern in low-earth orbit. Some parts of the structure are arguably visible, but its texture and color are too similar to the terrain to be markedly obvious. NASA's chief scientist for Earth observation, Kamlesh Lulla, suggested that cities at night are the most noticeable man-made structures (also visible: roads, bridges, reservoirs, and the Giza pyramids).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #741 on: August 25, 2010, 11:14:56 AM »
'Early military Harley-Davidsons were equipped with machine guns and, in one case, a pigeon loft.'

Harley-Davidson motorcycles were employed by the U.S. Army in General Pershing's pursuit of Pancho Villa in 1916 -- not especially surprising, given that the bikes were already popular with police and the military (half of all early Harley-Davidson production went to the U.S. Army). Also tested, though, were Harleys with a machine-gun-equipped sidecar and one with a sidecar pigeon loft, as carrier pigeons were still being used for communication at the time.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #742 on: August 26, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
'Eruption of the Yellowstone Supervolcano could result in a death toll in the millions.'

Yellowstone is home to three overlapping calderas and has seen over a hundred eruptions over the last 117 million years. Though an eruption anytime soon is highly unlikely, it has the potential to be cataclysmic. Two million years ago, Yellowstone produced an eruption that rated an 8 (out of 8) on the Volcanic Explosivity Index; that would be an eruption 10 times the size of a VEI 7, and the last VEI 7 (74,000 years ago in Indonesia) may have threatened humanity with extinction.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
« Reply #743 on: August 26, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
AN INTERESTING FACT ABOUT AUGUST 2010.

This August has 5 Sundays, 5 Mondays, 5 Tuesdays, all in one month.

It happens once in 823 years.

I'll probably miss the next one.
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #744 on: August 26, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »
'Eruption of the Yellowstone Supervolcano could result in a death toll in the millions.'

Yellowstone is home to three overlapping calderas and has seen over a hundred eruptions over the last 117 million years. Though an eruption anytime soon is highly unlikely, it has the potential to be cataclysmic. Two million years ago, Yellowstone produced an eruption that rated an 8 (out of 8) on the Volcanic Explosivity Index; that would be an eruption 10 times the size of a VEI 7, and the last VEI 7 (74,000 years ago in Indonesia) may have threatened humanity with extinction.

I'm tellin you mofos! head southeast :nod: we can live with pat :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #745 on: August 26, 2010, 12:48:58 PM »
I'll take my chances w/ the super volcano..

k,thx,bai.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #746 on: August 27, 2010, 10:05:11 AM »
'The length of a meter is technically defined by the speed of light.'

The meter has been defined by a few different things throughout its 350-year history, including the swing of a pendulum and the length of the meridian that passes through Paris. in 1983, for a whole host of reasons -- one of which was to have a consistent, unvarying speed of light -- the meter was redefined as "the length of the path traveled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299,792,458th of a second."

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #747 on: August 30, 2010, 10:11:57 AM »
'The earliest automobile design concept incorporated a windmill.'

Guido da Vigevano, an Italian inventor in the early 14th century, sketched plans for a wind-powered battle vehicle that da Vigevano intended for use in the Crusades. He also sketched a crank-operated vehicle, similar to a later concept by Francesco di Giorgio, another artist and military engineer who would be the first to use the term "automobile" ("self-moving") to describe the vehicle.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #748 on: August 31, 2010, 08:08:51 AM »
'The Whopper pre-dates the Big Mac by a decade. '

The first McDonald's opened in 1940, although the company dates its origins to 1955 and the singular brilliance of Ray Kroc. It would be another 12 years before Pennsylvania-based owner/operator Jim Delligatti invented the Big Mac. Meanwhile, Burger King, which was founded in 1954, introduced the Whopper in 1957, an invention by James McLamore, one of two co-founders of the fast food giant
Funyun?

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #749 on: August 31, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »
'Mexico City is gradually sinking.'

Mexico City dates back to the 14th century, when Tenochtitlan was founded by the Aztecs, originally on an island. Much of the gigantic present-day Mexico City is built atop artificial islands and canals, situated over groundwater that provides its water supply. The city sank around 30 feet during the 20th century alone, as evidenced by the base of El Angel, the Angel of Independence statue, to which steps have been continuously added as the ground surrounding the landmark sinks.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: