Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 85183 times)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #660 on: July 06, 2010, 07:35:55 AM »
'Excluding the Great Lakes, the United States has over 88,000 miles of coastline.'

Determining coastline measurements comes down to the scale that is used. In large scale nautical charts, what is referred to as general coastline data for the 50 U.S. states amounts to only 12,383 miles of coastline, but when smaller scale charts are used, the measurement reaches over 29,000 miles. However, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) uses very precise charts in administering the Coastal Zone Management program, and those charts indicate that including islands, inlets, etc., the U.S. coastline amounts to 88,612 miles.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #661 on: July 07, 2010, 11:58:44 AM »
'History's first recorded war took place over 4,700 years ago.'

Since writing was only invented 5,000 years ago, it makes sense that the first recorded war would follow closely, and in 2,700 BC, it did, when Sumer fought Elam near Basra in the Middle East. Today, Sumer can be found in Iraq, Elam in Iran, and the region near Basra in the same area where Iraq and Iran fought their bloody eight-year war beginning in 1980.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 12
    • Email
« Reply #662 on: July 07, 2010, 12:25:59 PM »
verry interesting....................NOT!

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #663 on: July 07, 2010, 12:29:20 PM »
that wasn't even interesting enough to make me sick :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #664 on: July 08, 2010, 10:11:22 AM »
'The best-selling patented drug of all time was first known as atorvastatin.'

In 1985, chemist Bruce Roth first synthesized atorvastatin for a company that would eventually become known as Pfizer, and shortly thereafter, the drug, which helps lower cholesterol and prevent strokes, was named Lipitor. Although one of a number of so-called "statins" on the market, Lipitor has distinguished itself from the rest, annually earning Pfizer over $10 billion in sales to become the best-selling patented drug in history. Pfizer's cash cow is about to go dry, as they lose patent protection on it in 2011.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 12
    • Email
« Reply #665 on: July 08, 2010, 10:26:33 AM »

In 1985, chemist Bruce Roth first synthesized atorvastatin for a company that would eventually become known as Pfizer, and shortly thereafter, the drug, which helps lower cholesterol and prevent strokes, was named Lipitor. Although one of a number of so-called "statins" on the market, Lipitor has distinguished itself from the rest, annually earning Pfizer over $10 billion in sales to become the best-selling patented drug in history. Pfizer's cash cow is about to go dry, as they lose patent protection on it in 2011.

"cash cow"  huh?   :confused:
Hey peels can you make Lipitor?    :thumbs:
we'll take a chunck of that $10 billion.

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #666 on: July 08, 2010, 02:51:05 PM »

"cash cow"  huh?   :confused:
Hey peels can you make Lipitor?    :thumbs:
we'll take a chunck of that $10 billion.

sure...is it made with real lips?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #667 on: July 12, 2010, 07:46:51 AM »
'Donald Trump was once pranked into cashing a check for 13 cents.'

The prank, put together by Spy magazine in 1989, was to create a fake company and send checks in extremely small amounts to some of the richest and most famous people around to see who was frugal enough to actually cash them. They began by sending checks in the amount of $1.11, and about half the recipients cashed them. They then sent checks in smaller and smaller denominations, until the checks were worth just 13 cents. Donald Trump and international arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi were the only two to cash that check.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #668 on: July 13, 2010, 08:49:14 AM »
a fact for peelio.

'The most successful product ever to be marketed in the U.S. turns 50 years old in 2010.'

Recently, Fortune magazine declared that in terms of return on investment (ROI), no product marketed in the U.S. had been more successful than the Xerox 914 photocopier, introduced in 1959 but only made available commercially in 1960. The 914, which weighed 650 lbs., had an astonishing 17-year production run, and technology writer Edward Tenner credits the 914 with making "lasting changes" that led to the digital era, helping to kick-start the modern age of information.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #669 on: July 14, 2010, 07:22:09 AM »
'The "most mysterious manuscript in the world" has been verified as genuine.'

The Voynick Manuscript is well-known in cryptography as an old, illustrated, and completely indecipherable text seemingly about mysticism or the natural sciences. Acquired by book dealer Wilfrid Voynich in 1912 from a Jesuit university, the manuscript's bizarre features, and the fact that it has confounded every attempt at translation, led to speculation that it might be a hoax (possibly fabricated by Voynich himself). In 2009, though, carbon dating confirmed that the book was in fact made between 1404 and 1438.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline phucker

• Phrankenstein
  • VIP -
  • Street Cred: 7
    • Email
« Reply #670 on: July 15, 2010, 09:59:19 PM »
well i now feel dumber for reading this shit.... this useless info has just pushed out use full memory space in my brain. thankyou for making me even dumber than peels.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #671 on: July 15, 2010, 10:01:12 PM »
well i now feel dumber for reading this shit.... this useless info has just pushed out use full memory space in my brain. thankyou for making me even dumber than peels.

It's RaptorSource....you expected more?

:lol:

Offline Spartan

• Most Picked on
  • Street Cred: 16
  • Koolaid maker
« Reply #672 on: July 16, 2010, 04:45:21 AM »
Absorbing information here is pointless...just pull a Funyun and let it all go right through you.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #673 on: July 19, 2010, 02:07:11 PM »
'Cosmonauts bring both vodka and guns into space.'

NASA doesn't exactly look favorably on mixing astronauts and alcohol, and U.S. spacecraft have never carried firearms. The Russian space program does not operate this way. Off-course landings in desolate wolf-filled tundra taught the Soviets to always bring a weapon (in this case, a unique three-barrel firearm with a removable stock, one that contains a machete). As for the vodka, evidently the cosmonauts just like to bring vodka.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #674 on: July 20, 2010, 11:08:12 AM »
'India Pale Ales (IPAs) were developed to get beer to desperate British soldiers.'

By the mid-18th century, the British East India Company had gained a foothold in the Indian subcontinent, but the going was tough; their "divide and rule" strategy was brutal, insurrection ensued and beer always arrived tasting terrible. Hoppier and more alcoholic than its counterparts, IPA was designed by London's Bow Brewery to survive the half-year sea voyage to India while remaining drinkable.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: