Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 85314 times)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2009, 03:03:51 PM »
'The first known man-made depiction of the nighttime sky was discovered in Europe in 2001.'

The discovery of the so-called Nebra disc in Germany in 2001 defied all expectation because it had long been believed that such esoteric artistic undertakings were rather beyond the intellectual capability of the inhabitants of Europe at that time (the disc dates to 1600 B.C.). The bronze disc, which features representations of the universe in the form of the sun, the moon, and a cluster of stars, pre-dates any other depiction known in archeology, including anything done by the Egyptians.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #211 on: December 09, 2009, 08:58:11 AM »
'Modern toilet paper didn't come along until 1857.'

Although the Chinese had been using a kind of toilet paper made from rice straw since around 600 or 700 A.D., it wasn't until 1857 that American inventor Joseph Gayetty introduced his so-called "therapeutic tissue" to the U.S. public, which was the forerunner to modern toilet paper. Prior to then, it wasn't uncommon for people to use pages from The Old Farmer's Almanac.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #212 on: December 10, 2009, 07:34:57 AM »
The first "successful" head transplant was carried out in 1963 by Robert J. White of Cleveland, Ohio, who attached the head of one monkey to the body of another. The monkey survived for several days, during which it tried to bite the experimenters.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: December 10, 2009, 08:54:49 AM »
'The word "plagiarism" comes from the Latin word for kidnapping.'

The Latin word "plagiarius" translates into English as "kidnapper" or "plunderer," while "plagium" translates as "kidnapping." Meanwhile, the word "kidnapper" was first recorded in the British colonies of North America in the 17th century and defined people who would "nap" (a likely form of "nab" or "steal") people from other areas and bring them to work as laborers on plantations.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: December 11, 2009, 07:24:19 AM »
'In 2002, researchers bought DNA through the mail and "built" a deadly polio virus.'

The researchers were from the State University of New York at Stony Brook. They bought DNA through the mail and, using a laptop and taking advantage of their access to the school's biology lab, they built a real polio virus (most viruses are extremely simple organisms, little more than a trace of genetic material wrapped in a sheath) and injected it into a mouse, which became paralyzed and died. Their point was to show how easy it was to create a dangerous yet effective virus.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Spider/Paleface513

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
  • Hard2Love Easy2Hate!!! GHG go hard or go home!!!
« Reply #215 on: December 11, 2009, 07:49:39 AM »
'In 2002, researchers bought DNA through the mail and "built" a deadly polio virus.'

The researchers were from the State University of New York at Stony Brook. They bought DNA through the mail and, using a laptop and taking advantage of their access to the school's biology lab, they built a real polio virus (most viruses are extremely simple organisms, little more than a trace of genetic material wrapped in a sheath) and injected it into a mouse, which became paralyzed and died. Their point was to show how easy it was to create a dangerous yet effective virus.
Wow that fuckin nuts
-07 700-based 734 trail build!!
105.5 11:1 5050 +2 +1 head WK54mm TB pink denso injector dynatek w/HDD curves DMC Force 4's PRM skids nerfs and 6pack rack DG bumper HID slim ballist kit flexx bars w/rebound kit HDD clutch kit Ava levers shortys DRD reverse lever key relocator spiderweb grill and cam cover mudlite SP's all around LSR axlecaliber 68.8hp 48.7tq w/+3 TB

HotRods +5 coming!

Offline funyun

• Jew
  • Funyun Yellow
  • Street Cred: -1337
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: December 11, 2009, 08:54:23 AM »
2 + 2 = 4

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2009, 08:55:30 AM »
1+1 = 10  using significant figures. :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #218 on: December 11, 2009, 08:59:46 AM »
meh. I inject people and they die all the time. No laptop necessary :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline funyun

• Jew
  • Funyun Yellow
  • Street Cred: -1337
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: December 11, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »
meth. I inject people and they die all the time. No laptop necessary :lol:

fixed

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #220 on: December 14, 2009, 07:58:49 AM »
'One of the biggest and most-visited websites in the world has just three dozen employees. '
+
While it takes some 900 employees to keep Facebook running, over 13,000 to support Yahoo!, and more than 20,000 to run Google, the user-edited and monitored online encyclopedia Wikipedia requires just 35 employees, and unlike all the other sites in the top sites worldwide (as ranked by Alexa.com), Wikipedia is nonprofit and runs almost entirely on user donations.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #221 on: December 14, 2009, 08:25:39 AM »
'One of the biggest and most-visited websites in the world has just three dozen employees. '
+
While it takes some 900 employees to keep Facebook running, over 13,000 to support Yahoo!, and more than 20,000 to run Google, the user-edited and monitored online encyclopedia Wikipedia requires just 35 employees, and unlike all the other sites in the top sites worldwide (as ranked by Alexa.com), Wikipedia is nonprofit and runs almost entirely on user donations.

nifty, wasn't aware of that.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #222 on: December 15, 2009, 07:42:19 AM »
'O.J. Simpson was nearly cast as the cyborg in the original Terminator.'

When James Cameron began casting for his brilliant 1984 sci-fi thriller, Arnold Schwarzenegger -- who had recently starred as Conan the Barbarian -- was being considered for the role of Kyle Reese, the man sent from the future to protect Sarah Conner, while O.J. Simpson, who was a few years into his own acting career, was up for the role of the cyborg. Actor Michael Biehn was eventually cast as Reese, and Cameron convinced Schwarzenegger to play the cyborg, despite some initial reluctance.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #223 on: December 15, 2009, 09:36:47 AM »
'O.J. Simpson was nearly cast as the cyborg in the original Terminator.'

When James Cameron began casting for his brilliant 1984 sci-fi thriller, Arnold Schwarzenegger -- who had recently starred as Conan the Barbarian -- was being considered for the role of Kyle Reese, the man sent from the future to protect Sarah Conner, while O.J. Simpson, who was a few years into his own acting career, was up for the role of the cyborg. Actor Michael Biehn was eventually cast as Reese, and Cameron convinced Schwarzenegger to play the cyborg, despite some initial reluctance.

can you imagine the punchlines if this would have happened?

"I'll be back" would be even more hilarious. :lol:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #224 on: December 16, 2009, 07:26:17 AM »
'The Siberian mining city of Norilsk is considered to be the most polluted on earth. '

Norilsk was created in 1921 after Joseph Stalin learned of huge nickel deposits in the region. Over 350,000 slave laborers were sent to newly established Gulags that eventually became part of the city itself. Just 1,500 miles from the Arctic Circle, the city spends several weeks out of the year without seeing the sun. Nickel is smelted on-site, leading to acid rain and pollution so awful that in 2007, Time magazine claimed that there wasn't a single living tree within a 30-mile radius of the smelter.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: