Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 84886 times)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #1530 on: August 16, 2012, 07:19:07 AM »
""Women and children first" may not have applied in most shipwrecks."

Two Swedish economists studied the data surrounding 18 shipwrecks over 160 years of maritime history, and determined that women and children weren't usually afforded the same deference that they were on the Titanic (when many men gave up their lifeboat space). The study, which involved some 15,000 people, found that women were half as likely to survive a typical shipwreck as men (and actual crewmen were 18% more likely to survive than regular passengers). When a "women and children first" order was issued, it seems to have increased the survival rate of women by only 7%.

FODW!!!!!!!!!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1531 on: August 16, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »
never let go jack  :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1532 on: August 17, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
"Men who use prostitutes are often interested in romance."

A study in the journal Men and Masculinities analyzed 2,442 postings on a forum for reviewing sex workers and found many men who become regular clients turn out to want emotional intimacy, not just sex. About a fifth of the postings were by men saying that such emotional connections in a paid sex context were impossible, but about a third of them had an emotional component -- clients talking about sharing their feelings or expressing a wish for mutual love with a sex worker. Most men expect nothing but sex at first, and when some develop an emotional connection, they almost always express surprise at this development. The study authors point out that men were never previously thought to be looking for an emotional connection when paying for sex, and that the volume of evidence to the contrary is surprising.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1533 on: August 17, 2012, 08:13:38 AM »
candlelight dinners...roses, candies, flowers.... then :humper:  :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 12
    • Email
« Reply #1534 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:30 AM »
well at least when you use a postitute the :humper: part is guaranted :thumbs:

[speaks from experience]   LOL

Offline Hefe

• SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1
  • Testicular Sanitation Personnel
    • Email
« Reply #1535 on: August 17, 2012, 02:42:09 PM »
donkey hookers FTW

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1536 on: August 20, 2012, 08:30:55 AM »
"People who own aggressive dog breeds are more likely to be aggressive themselves."

Psychologists at Queen's University Belfast surveyed 147 dog owners on their personalities (all of the dog owners had either Rottweilers, German shepherds, golden shepherds, or Labrador retrievers). The only difference the survey found was that people with one of the more aggressive breeds (Rottweilers or German shepherds) also rated higher in psychoticism-tendency toward interpersonal hostility and aggression. Whether aggressive people choose dogs based on their aggressiveness or subconsciously seek out animals like themselves is unclear, but this is the second recent study to come to a similar conclusion (an earlier survey also found that more argumentative people tended to choose bull terriers and animals with similar reputations).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1537 on: August 20, 2012, 09:39:54 AM »
That's my argument.

using dogs to look tough....

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1538 on: August 21, 2012, 07:40:12 AM »
"The more stressed you are, the more likely you are to prefer heavier women."

A study appearing in PloS One asked 41 men to engage in a stress-inducing task, while their 40 counterparts in the control group weren't exposed to any stressors. Both groups then rated the attractiveness of various female bodies across the size and weight spectrum. The men in both groups were matched for age, BMI and appetite, but after the task, the stressed group rated a much heavier body size as the most attractive, rated heavier women as more attractive overall and preferred a wider range of figures in total. Previous research has implied that there is an evolutionary motivation for this response (that is, when resources are unavailable, people get less sexually choosy, even on an instinctive level).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1539 on: August 22, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »
"Nearly 30% of Americans have been found sleepwalking."

Statistics have traditionally held that sleepwalking is very rare, but, in fact, a recent study of 19,000 Americans found that just over 29% of Americans had been caught sleepwalking at some point in their lives. Since sleepwalkers don't remember the event unless they're awakened, it could be even more common than that. People with depression are dramatically more likely than others to sleepwalk (3.5 times so) and it's also something that tends to run in the family.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1540 on: August 22, 2012, 11:59:28 AM »
"Nearly 30% of Americans have been found sleepwalking."

Statistics have traditionally held that sleepwalking is very rare, but, in fact, a recent study of 19,000 Americans found that just over 29% of Americans had been caught sleepwalking at some point in their lives. Since sleepwalkers don't remember the event unless they're awakened, it could be even more common than that. People with depression are dramatically more likely than others to sleepwalk (3.5 times so) and it's also something that tends to run in the family.

all the time.

and my kids do it consistently. they like ti get up to whizz at 4 am. doing the "firehose" :lol:

Offline Magz

• Site Sponsor
  • Street Cred: 12
    • Email
« Reply #1541 on: August 22, 2012, 02:21:28 PM »
my kids have done it too..............scary as FERK........  :lol:

all of a sudden i heard my 3 year old crying in the living room and I'm all like WTH?

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1542 on: August 23, 2012, 08:47:49 AM »
"Both genders stare at breasts."

A study published in the European Journal of Social Psychology presented participants with random images of fully clothed men and women. Each image was of a person standing in a neutral pose and looking at the camera. Then, after a pause, participants saw two more images: one that was a cut-out image of the person they'd just seen, and one that modified a sexual body part. Women's body parts were more accurately recognized in this second picture, regardless of the participants' gender. The more accurate identification indicates that men do glance at a woman's sexual body parts enough to recognize them, but so do women (though their motivation in doing so is probably not the same).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1543 on: August 24, 2012, 07:42:42 AM »
"A dog can shake itself three-fourths dry in under a second."

Research conducted at Georgia Tech indicates that furry mammals can shake themselves up to 70% dry in less than a second, and the smaller the animal, the faster it shakes (with dogs averaging around five times a second and rodents averaging 30 times a second). Being able to dry themselves quickly can be crucial to animals in the wild, where a larger animal could expend a fifth of its daily caloric intake simply staying warm while wet in the colder months. A rat might exit the water with 5% of its body weight in water soaking its fur; a fully doused (and relatively hairless) human, by contrast, is carrying about one pound of water.

This is a lie.. Its in 4 seconds.

Still interesting none the less.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFzWJ6P2iyY&feature=player_embedded

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1544 on: August 27, 2012, 07:28:49 AM »
"Women tend to drink more after marrying; men drink less."

Researchers at the University of Cincinnati examined previous surveys conducted in past decades of some 5,300 U.S. respondents. They found that single women (either divorced or unmarried) tended to drink less than women who were married. Conversely, married men tended to have the least number of drinks, while divorced men tended to have the highest. Married women averaged nine drinks per month, while divorced women averaged 6.5. Married men averaged 19.2 drinks a month; divorced men, 21.5. When men and women actually got divorced during the monitored period, their drinking increased to 10 drinks a month for women and 26 for men.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: