Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Fact O' The Day  (Read 84460 times)

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: Fact O' The Day
« Reply #1485 on: July 10, 2012, 07:30:42 AM »
"Chewing gum improves mood."

A study at Swinburne University in Melbourne gave 40 participants the Defined Intensity Stressor Simulation -- a battery of concurrent tests that appear on a screen, all at once, designed both to induce stress and to measure subject performance. Participants took the tests while chewing and not chewing gum. They reported less anxiety while chewing gum (a 17% reduction), as well as more alertness (a 19% increase), and demonstrated increased performance overall (gum chewers scored 67% better than non-chewers).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1486 on: July 11, 2012, 07:16:04 AM »
"Women spend more time getting ready on Mondays."

A study of 2,000 women conducted by the U.K. skincare company Simple found that women devote the most time to their appearance at the beginning of the week. Respondents estimated spending 39 minutes getting ready on Mondays, but that routine grew shorter as the week went on--32 minutes on Tuesdays, and 29 minutes on Wednesdays and Thursdays, before finally bouncing back to 33 minutes on Fridays. One in ten women said she received compliments on Mondays, but was less likely to get the same compliment later in the week.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1487 on: July 12, 2012, 08:29:48 AM »
"Respect makes you happier than money."

Research from the Haas School of Business at UC Berkeley concluded that earning people's respect influences your level of happiness more than earning a lot of money. Researchers started with the theory (demonstrated in previous studies) that wealth doesn't necessarily make people happier. Then they conducted four studies, weighing participants' sociometric statuses against their socioeconomic statuses (popularity, or respect, vs. wealth). In all four studies, sociometric status had a direct effect on well-being scores. The participants' sense of acceptance better predicted happiness than how much money they had.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1488 on: July 13, 2012, 10:36:00 AM »
"Sad people enjoy tragedies more."

A South Korean study published in the Journal of Media Psychology asked 165 American study participants to watch the tragic 1995 film Angel Baby, which is about two schizophrenics who fall in love after meeting in therapy. The participants were then asked how they felt and whether they enjoyed the movie. Contrary to expectations, it wasn't that the story made viewers sad; rather, viewers' sadness made them more likely to perceive reality in the story. In short, sad people become more involved in the story, and involvement is directly correlated with enjoyment.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1489 on: July 16, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »
"Infants in dog-owning families are healthier."

A Finnish study conducted at Kuopio University Hospital indicates that the presence of a dog in the house (or, to a lesser degree, a cat) makes babies less likely to get sick. Researchers followed the health of 400 infants over the course of a year. One-third of the households involved had dogs, and slightly fewer had cats. The babies in households with dogs were healthy between 72% and 76% of the time; in non-dog households, that number was 65%. Babies who were at home with a dog between zero and six hours out of the day were the healthiest, indicating that some exposure, but not overexposure, to dog-associated germs and dirt helps a child's immune system mature faster than in a totally pristine environment.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1490 on: July 16, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »
"Infants in dog-owning families are healthier."

A Finnish study conducted at Kuopio University Hospital indicates that the presence of a dog in the house (or, to a lesser degree, a cat) makes babies less likely to get sick. Researchers followed the health of 400 infants over the course of a year. One-third of the households involved had dogs, and slightly fewer had cats. The babies in households with dogs were healthy between 72% and 76% of the time; in non-dog households, that number was 65%. Babies who were at home with a dog between zero and six hours out of the day were the healthiest, indicating that some exposure, but not overexposure, to dog-associated germs and dirt helps a child's immune system mature faster than in a totally pristine environment.

OH MAN!!! a few months ago, I Would have spewed hate ALL over this post :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1491 on: July 17, 2012, 10:20:06 AM »

"All other things being equal, family dinners aren't associated with healthier or better-behaved teens."
Research appearing in The Journal of Marriage and Family indicates that sharing a family dinner doesn't, in and of itself, have any particular benefits. The study controlled for all the non-dinner factors in family relationships (so it wasn't comparing broken homes with happy families). Teens who engaged in family dinners did have slightly fewer depressive symptoms, but none of the other often-touted benefits held up. The study found no notable lasting effects on delinquency, drug and alcohol use, or overall well-being (though the researchers allowed that dinners can be beneficial if they provide the only context for teens and parents to talk).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1492 on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:59 AM »
"Work stress is the most common cause of sleep disturbance."

Research from Consumer Reports found that, among all people who report trouble sleeping, the most common cause for staying awake is work-related stress, followed by health and financial worries. The study, which surveyed 26,451 participants, found that 60% of respondents considered themselves insomniacs, 40% had tried over-the-counter sleep aids, and 30% had tried prescription medication-but about half of people using sleep medications reported some kind of side effect. Buying a new mattress helped 75% of respondents with their sleep problems.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1493 on: July 18, 2012, 11:08:23 AM »
"Work stress is the most common cause of sleep disturbance."

Research from Consumer Reports found that, among all people who report trouble sleeping, the most common cause for staying awake is work-related stress, followed by health and financial worries. The study, which surveyed 26,451 participants, found that 60% of respondents considered themselves insomniacs, 40% had tried over-the-counter sleep aids, and 30% had tried prescription medication-but about half of people using sleep medications reported some kind of side effect. Buying a new mattress helped 75% of respondents with their sleep problems.

and amphetamines  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1494 on: July 19, 2012, 07:23:30 AM »
"How you use Facebook can reveal your personality traits."

Researchers at the University of Missouri have developed a scale that measures personality based on Facebook activity. They formulated the scale by surveying study participants on their Facebook usage and giving them accompanying personality tests. According to the scale, risk-seeking individuals have a tendency toward more overt activity -- frequently updating statuses and uploading photos, for example. More reserved people tend to prefer familiar, routine experiences, usually just browsing news feeds without interacting directly.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #1495 on: July 19, 2012, 07:25:40 AM »
"How you use Facebook can reveal your personality traits."

Researchers at the University of Missouri have developed a scale that measures personality based on Facebook activity. They formulated the scale by surveying study participants on their Facebook usage and giving them accompanying personality tests. According to the scale, risk-seeking individuals have a tendency toward more overt activity -- frequently updating statuses and uploading photos, for example. More reserved people tend to prefer familiar, routine experiences, usually just browsing news feeds without interacting directly.

true. I read very small amounts, then go away because it is maddening. just like real life  :rofl:

Offline Lady4Fiddy

• Rally Queen
  • Ninjas
  • Street Cred: 20
  • I'm just your average Crazy Ass Woman!
    • Email
« Reply #1496 on: July 19, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »
My boss is a DOUCHE!!!  :rofl:
Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me! >:D

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #1497 on: July 19, 2012, 06:49:21 PM »
:lol:

Offline als660r

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 0
« Reply #1498 on: July 19, 2012, 08:01:01 PM »
I think I work for his twin

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #1499 on: July 20, 2012, 08:38:14 AM »
"A woman's finger length can predict her navigational skills."

The length of a person's ring finger in relation to his or her other fingers has been used in hundreds of studies to indicate hormone exposure. MIT researchers asked 82 male and female participants to watch a clip from a computer game showing the location of a tiny crystal in a field, then to navigate back to the crystal's location. Women in the study navigated more accurately and performed better overall if their ring fingers were longer than their index fingers (as is the case with the majority of men).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: