Fact O' The Day

Started by Krandall, July 07, 2009, 07:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peelz

Quote from: rappyfreak on August 23, 2011, 03:41:45 PM
I guess Iowa is the most blissful state then?  :rofl: :rofl: too easy

way too easy  ;) :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Gunz

I haven't been up this early since the last day of school last year, it's a fact.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Krandall

"Adolescents who have romantic relationships are more depressed than those who don't."

According to data from the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health, which surveyed over 8,000 high school students, adolescents who become romantically involved are actually more likely to become depressed than those who aren't dating. (And not just because of breakups, either; the effect exists even when the relationship continues.) Males with more romantic partners, as well as males who had had recent breakups, were also more likely to suffer from depression. Both males and females who were romantically involved were more likely to abuse alcohol.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Krandall

"Browsing the internet improves your productivity."

Two studies presented at the Academy of Management in San Antonio concluded that concentration and effectiveness are actually improved in workers who have the freedom to surf the internet. The studies separated participants into three groups, then assigned a menial task requiring concentration. One group spent its break working on a separate task, the second group was given freedom to do anything except use the internet and the third group was given internet access. After all the groups returned to their initial tasks, the group with internet access was more energized, less bored and more effective at their tasks.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on August 25, 2011, 08:39:48 AM
"Browsing the internet improves your productivity."

Two studies presented at the Academy of Management in San Antonio concluded that concentration and effectiveness are actually improved in workers who have the freedom to surf the internet. The studies separated participants into three groups, then assigned a menial task requiring concentration. One group spent its break working on a separate task, the second group was given freedom to do anything except use the internet and the third group was given internet access. After all the groups returned to their initial tasks, the group with internet access was more energized, less bored and more effective at their tasks.

you bet your super sweet ass it does!!!!  :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

"Nice people make less money than mean people."
A study in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology hypothesized that agreeableness would translate into lower incomes, at least among men, and tested this hypothesis with four separate studies. All four studies confirmed the hypothesis; the disparity was more marked among men than women.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Krandall

"Single people die 10 years earlier, on average."

A metastudy of 90 previous studies, covering data from about 500 million people, concluded that single men have a risk of death one-third higher than married men, and single women about a quarter higher than married women. Overall, this translates to single men dying between eight and 17 years earlier than their married counterparts. While in their 30s, singles have a 128% higher risk of death than married people (though once they're out of their 30s, that risk gradually decreases).

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on August 26, 2011, 09:15:50 AM
"Nice people make less money than mean people."
A study in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology hypothesized that agreeableness would translate into lower incomes, at least among men, and tested this hypothesis with four separate studies. All four studies confirmed the hypothesis; the disparity was more marked among men than women.

Awww. you're telling me I'm nice? how sweet. :lol:

Krandall

"The shape of a CEO's face can predict a company's success."

A study published in the journal Psychological Science indicates that CEOs who have faces that are wide in relation to their height tend to outperform CEOs with the opposite facial characteristics. The study examined 55 male CEOs from Fortune 500 companies, and its findings are in keeping with the demonstrated link between facial width and increased aggression (and, potentially, heightened testosterone) in men. Related research has demonstrated that men with wider faces are also more likely to behave unethically.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Krandall

"Men's and women's brains process beauty differently."
According to a study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, men and women gauge beauty using entirely different methods of perception. When viewing an image they consider beautiful, men's brains process the image in absolute terms -- "coordinate-processing" -- as if they are examining points on a grid. Women's brains exhibit "category-processing," locating objects in relation to each other (e.g. behind, above, beneath). Researchers propose that this distinction is tied to the evolution of hunter-gatherer societies, when men's hunting tasks would have involved spatial orientation, while women's jobs would have included classifying and identifying edible plants.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Krandall

"The Escalade is the vehicle most targeted by car thieves."

A study by the Highway Loss Data Institute examined insurance data from 2008 to 2010, and found that the Cadillac Escalade is six times more likely to be targeted by thieves than the average vehicle: Overall, theft losses are 10 times greater for Escalades than the average vehicle. In response to this, GM intends to make new Escalades more difficult to steal. The 2012 model will include numerous anti-theft features, including new wheel and steering column locks, and an alarm that sounds when the angle of the vehicle changes.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on September 01, 2011, 08:24:53 AM
"The Escalade is the vehicle most targeted by car thieves."

A study by the Highway Loss Data Institute examined insurance data from 2008 to 2010, and found that the Cadillac Escalade is six times more likely to be targeted by thieves than the average vehicle: Overall, theft losses are 10 times greater for Escalades than the average vehicle. In response to this, GM intends to make new Escalades more difficult to steal. The 2012 model will include numerous anti-theft features, including new wheel and steering column locks, and an alarm that sounds when the angle of the vehicle changes.

haha thieves go for the biggest fraud vehicle ever... :lol:

Krandall

"Men's employment statistics are currently at their lowest since 1948."

The percentage of men with any job, even just a part-time one, recently rose to 63.5% -- just barely above the previous 2009 "high" of 63.3%. In addition, wages for middle-aged men have fallen 27% since 1969 (even when the numbers are adjusted for inflation). Though women still continue to earn less than men across the board, they have adapted to some fields -- particularly those requiring a college education -- better than men, and unemployed men are now more likely than unemployed women to be out of work in the long term.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Geo

Krandall

"Astronomers have discovered a planet made of diamond."

The planet appears to consist of carbon and is the most dense planet yet discovered, leading astronomers to conclude that its carbon is in crystalline (diamond) form. The planet, more massive than Jupiter but 20 times as dense, is about one-eighth of the way from the Earth to the center of the Milky Way, or 4,000 light years away. The planet orbits a pulsar, and scientists suggest it was once a star itself until the formation of the pulsar caused it to lose its outer layers and become the carbon-oxygen rarity it is now.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: