Uh, help? Raptor won't idle

Started by Diggs59, July 03, 2009, 11:51:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggs59

Well as many of you know I just did a build. Well I finally got everything together and she starts up pretty easy but she won't idle at all when cold. However,  even after she's warm she'll only idle for a few seconds then die.

I should point out that the throttle response is good and I tried adjusting the idle screw but no setting helped me at all.:wtf: Thanks for the responses....

MODS ARE IN SIG

Peelz

tps: throttle position sensor? I see you have a bored throttle body. I have heard of this hapening. Not sure how to fix it. Unless you have carbs. :lol: Somebody with FI experience will be along to help you out bro.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

1badazz_700r

does it start hard? or does it start right up

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

Gunz

Ok on the left side of the TB is an idle screw, did you adjust it? Have you tried adjusting your cable on the throttle? If yes on both, then did you adjust your tps? It is located on the right side of the tb. Here is a link on how to adjust it.  http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=4739.0

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Diggs59

First off, thanks for all the responses. Now, I messed and messed with the idle adjustment(phillips screw with spring) on left side. I had to work with it for a long while but finally managed to get it to idle great "AFTER IT WARMS UP".

It's still not idling correctly when cold though. I'll try the adjustment with the nut on the left side in the morning. Again, thanks for the responses.

Peelz

Quote from: Diggs59 on July 03, 2009, 08:23:35 PM
First off, thanks for all the responses. Now, I messed and messed with the idle adjustment(phillips screw with spring) on left side. I had to work with it for a long while but finally managed to get it to idle great "AFTER IT WARMS UP".

It's still not idling correctly when cold though. I'll try the adjustment with the nut on the left side in the morning. Again, thanks for the responses.

Makes me think jetting map. Fouled the plug? Got a leak in the intake?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Diggs59

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on July 04, 2009, 08:31:00 AM
Quote from: Diggs59 on July 03, 2009, 08:23:35 PM

Makes me think jetting map. Fouled the plug? Got a leak in the intake?

I thought maybe fouled plug at first but my plug is perfect (according to the brown paper bag theory). Throttle response is perfect as well. I still can't get her to idle cold though. I know these Rappies are "cold blooded" but before the build it would idle way better when cold so I'm pretty sure something needs a little more fine tuning. I tried the idle screw again but it's still a no go....I need help, this is aggravating. Can't find a leak on the intake either so I'm stumped....

Gunz

Have you checked your tps yet? Seriously, you'd be surprised.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

tonyrt44

I would also check the throttle stop screw, idle problems are usually caused by this screw whenever the TB is bored.
Ranking:   ???

Diggs59

Quote from: 4gunz4x4z on July 04, 2009, 02:55:36 PM
Have you checked your tps yet? Seriously, you'd be surprised.

Not yet.....

Diggs59

Upon further review.............I decided to put in a new plug just so I would know "for sure" as to whether I was running lean or not. (Thinking that this may be the culprit for my idling issue) If you go back and read the thread I mention that my map is "perfect". Well, I was basing that off of my old plug (I was using it prior to the new build). I thought that it wouldn't really matter if it were an older plug or not. Just figured if it were rich then it would blacken up, if it were lean it would look white. Well, it didn't do much at all. It looked perfect paper bag brown so I thought I was good.

Anyway, I decided to go with an Iridium plug today and after the install I went for a ride. When I got finished I pulled it and to my surprise it was white. So now I'm thinking the idling issue I'm having is due to the map being lean at idle...My BIG PROBLEM is that I have no idea what kind of adjustments to make to the map that was sent to me as a starting point for my build? What I do know is that my quads throttle response is good. I did notice a little backfiring today as I let off the gas though. I guess you could say my bike's running really good except at idle and when the gas is let off....Is there anyone here who could help me out with the map I'm running? I'd hate to blow this engine and waste all the money I've just spent....:think::cunfuz:

DL700

1. check TPS voltge and adjust
2. calibrate the TPS in the PC3 sofware
3. adjust tb knob (idle air control screw) to 5 turns out
4. adjust throttle stop screw till bike idles between 1550 and 1650 rpm
5. adjust idle knob (if it does not affect idle then something else is out of adjustment)
6. perform #1 and #2 again
7. change the map # in the 0% throttle range from 1250-2500 , highlight the field and page up or page down.....get the highest idle speed out of it then go up 4 points

if this fails then give me a call and i will help u out......

go from there, before adjusting the map
CUERVO RACING

Krandall

Great info DL!! I'm gonna have to do this myself as well. I get an idle that some what stumbles on itself.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

DL700

i do so many of them that its just natural, and to spell it out is kinda hard, good luck guys, hope it helps.... :thumbs:
CUERVO RACING

Diggs59