What did you do to your Raptor today?

Started by Yamahauler, May 29, 2008, 08:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alkire193

Quote from: Eagle700R on May 24, 2009, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: Alkire193 on May 23, 2009, 09:37:43 PM
Rode Land Between the Lakes in TN and got wrecked. Handlebars and grab bar are toast. Then went to race today and found my rear subframe is split right under the gas tank. If I find a welder im going riding Monday to break more stuff!  :clap: :clap: :clap:

Where going down to ride royal blue...is that place anygood?

Im not sure where royal blue is, but LBL ( Land Between the Lakes) is where ive been riding for years. And the trails go on for miles, some are just for jeeps and some allow you ride the lake shore for miles when the water level isnt so high. (its very high right now) You can kill a tank of gas just getting lost in the area. But the main trails are so flat and kept from years and years of people riding that I was high 3rd and 4th all over......until I wrecked  :lol: :lol: But its almost like high speed MX in the woods on the main trails, just watch out for oncoming jeeps, high 3rd doesnt bode well with a 2007 Wrangler front end.

I think after my next trip ill open up a section on riding areas around me with pictures and video links to give people an idea of what they can expect if they come to my area.

Warren

Quote from: Alkire193 on May 24, 2009, 09:19:57 PM
Welded my rear subframe, found several more cracks. Then welded repairs to the forward subframe and replaced all the front bumper guard mounting brackets from two years ago. Shes coming back around. Anyone know any tips for welding aluminum? The rear subframe wasnt sticking well no matter what we tried.

what kind of welder are you trying to use? TIG or MIG? if you don't have a TIG welder i would take it to a shop to get it fixed. but if you have a TIG heres some tips.

get a good cleaner. either clear PVC cleaner, some kind of non-residue contact cleaner, or acetone (which works really well). and get a small stainless steel wire brush.

clean all the visable dirt off the area to be welded. then take the cleaner and wipe the area down with it. then take your TIG welder and run weak AC arcs aross the area. remember here your not trying to make a puddle to weld on yet. just light arcs to draw up as much contaminants from the weld area. cast aluminum is full of contaminants. after you run the arcs on it. take your wire brush and clean it up again. then repeat this process a few times. now when you start welding take your time. because again, it's cast aluminum. wait for a good puddle to form then start adding your filler rod. now you don't want to rush because if you are rushing you run the risk of over heating the peice and then it will just break again anyway. if it's done right anybody can weld cast aluminum like any other aluminum. it just has to be very clean.

i hope this helps alittle.

i'm not sure where you live but if you were anywhere near me i could do it for you.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Alkire193

Quote from: warren on May 26, 2009, 05:30:10 AM
Quote from: Alkire193 on May 24, 2009, 09:19:57 PM
Welded my rear subframe, found several more cracks. Then welded repairs to the forward subframe and replaced all the front bumper guard mounting brackets from two years ago. Shes coming back around. Anyone know any tips for welding aluminum? The rear subframe wasnt sticking well no matter what we tried.

what kind of welder are you trying to use? TIG or MIG? if you don't have a TIG welder i would take it to a shop to get it fixed. but if you have a TIG heres some tips.

get a good cleaner. either clear PVC cleaner, some kind of non-residue contact cleaner, or acetone (which works really well). and get a small stainless steel wire brush.

Clarksville, TN, my Dad spoke to me on the subject and since I was using MIG he said the best thing to do was preheat the surface after, as you said, cleaning it with a solvent like acetone which evaporates quickly. If the subframe cracks again ill have to dive deeper into it. But I also broke off the lower mount for the chain guard on the motor, so thats my next challenge!  :(

clean all the visable dirt off the area to be welded. then take the cleaner and wipe the area down with it. then take your TIG welder and run weak AC arcs aross the area. remember here your not trying to make a puddle to weld on yet. just light arcs to draw up as much contaminants from the weld area. cast aluminum is full of contaminants. after you run the arcs on it. take your wire brush and clean it up again. then repeat this process a few times. now when you start welding take your time. because again, it's cast aluminum. wait for a good puddle to form then start adding your filler rod. now you don't want to rush because if you are rushing you run the risk of over heating the peice and then it will just break again anyway. if it's done right anybody can weld cast aluminum like any other aluminum. it just has to be very clean.

i hope this helps alittle.

i'm not sure where you live but if you were anywhere near me i could do it for you.

Warren

yeah your not to close to me. i would say if it does break again just take it to a weld shop. sorry i couldn't be of more help. i can aluminum MIG weld but for that job i would much prefer having it TIG welded.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Gunz

Double checked the engine bolts and the A arm bolts. All good. Installed the oil lines. Put the bumper back on. Dicked around with the swingarm.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Alkire193

Installed my Dynatek programmable ignition and it didnt blow up!!  :clap: :clap:

fireman5166

loaded it up for sand mountain. I can't wait.  :clap: :clap: :clap: 3 more days  :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
07 Raptor 700
pcIII
hot cams III
barker duals
rocket factory intake w/K&N
Dynatek programmable  Ignition
Iridium Plug
evac valve
renthal bars
asv
ac nerfs
fuel atv bumber
kenda gnarlys
Itp sand stars
22" haulers 8 paddles
12,13,14,15, tooth front sprockets
38,40, rear sprockets

Danny T

installed my PIAA H6M HID's these phuckers are BRIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leanfactor

Installed a FCI intake, Powercommander 5, Blingstar Nerfs, and DRD slip-on pipe!  Pictures soon.
2008 Raptor 700R
        DRD Slip-on
        AFI Intake
        Powercommander V
2008 Honda TRX700XX - Stock
2008 Raptor 80

AMSOIL in all engines!!

Need Amsoil or have any questions, PM me any time!

Gunz

Got the Battery tray in, electrical is about 90%, got the swinger totally ready for the axle/carrier. If I can get my carrier and TPS, I'd be able to ride it by Saturday. :clap:

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

gr8ride4u2luv

I'll get pictures up tomorrow guys! Just finished the build. Arched +6 SLC Swing Arm, Motowoz Rear shock, Motowoz LT Front Shocks and Houser MGC Slicast arms.
Barker In-Frame Duals
CP 11:1
Corrected Deck Height Cylinder
Hot Cam Stage III
KW HD Springs
Track Port & Polish by BO
+3 Throttle Body
Pro Design Intake w/ K&N
PCIII
Dynatek Prog. Ignition W/ Custom Curves
KDS Evac Valve
15T Front Sprocket
GNCC 22x7x10 Fronts
GNCC 21x11x9 Rears
Skat Trak Edge 22x11x10 Rear Paddles
TM Designworks Case Saver
TM Designworks Magnetic Oil Drain Plug
P

Krandall

Quote from: gr8ride4u2luv on May 28, 2009, 10:38:17 PM
I'll get pictures up tomorrow guys! Just finished the build. Arched +6 SLC Swing Arm, Motowoz Rear shock, Motowoz LT Front Shocks and Houser MGC Slicast arms.

damn, that things gonna be like riding a pillow!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Colorado700R

Race Cut my fenders, removed headlights, and deleted Grab bar.  Still gotta sand and smooth the plastics, but it looks mean as hell right now

Krandall

Quote from: Colorado700R on May 29, 2009, 08:51:30 AM
Race Cut my fenders, removed headlights, and deleted Grab bar.  Still gotta sand and smooth the plastics, but it looks mean as hell right now

For Aaron:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Leanfactor

Here are pictures after installing my FCI intake, DRD pipe and Nerf bars.

2008 Raptor 700R
        DRD Slip-on
        AFI Intake
        Powercommander V
2008 Honda TRX700XX - Stock
2008 Raptor 80

AMSOIL in all engines!!

Need Amsoil or have any questions, PM me any time!