Will Colorado700r own me a case of beer??? Date set

Started by preddy08, May 29, 2008, 01:13:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

socalrappy700

07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Colorado700R

Well, I did post in the "Beer of choice" thread that I'm a Guiness man  :lol:, but since Shawn's got a wedding to save for I think we'll just have to split a case of Miller over a camp fire sometime  :thumbs:

preddy08

I think that 8000 ft is all it can handle. My bike ran alright, not good, but alright. It had NO top end and was lazy to rev. Even Troy will tell you that. At home the bike will rev so fast that its hard to keep up with, and the top end is where all the power is at.

Will it adjust its self, yes, but to an extent.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Troy

Yeah it wanted some more topend for sure, but what it really is asking for is a set of duals and a Dynatek custom tuned :grin_nod:  Mine feels the same way at lower altitudes, you can't shift fast enough to stay in the power band.  Just be glad yours only runs that way when you come up for a visit, us poor bastards have to ride like this all the time :(.  I'm sure two bikes built the same will have different maps at each altitude giving that bike the advantage in their own back yard.

Colorado700R

I think what we're saying is if you have map built for the median of you altitude changes you expect, it'll give you the best results.  So if ride at 1000ft, but also ride at 8000ft, if your map was setup @ 4000ft, the rappy should be able to use the small adjustments it makes so you have good power at both areas.

Aaron

Troy

preddy08

Quote from: Colorado700R on July 29, 2008, 09:58:49 AM
I think what we're saying is if you have map built for the median of you altitude changes you expect, it'll give you the best results.  So if ride at 1000ft, but also ride at 8000ft, if your map was setup @ 4000ft, the rappy should be able to use the small adjustments it makes so you have good power at both areas.

Aaron

Ill agree with that.

Krandall

So...

The question is with that being said Aaron... Can a person when getting their bike dyno-tuned @ 0' sea level request that their bike be tuned for 5000' due to them traveling between 10,000 and 0'?  ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

preddy08

Quote from: Krandall on July 29, 2008, 03:08:39 PM
So...

The question is with that being said Aaron... Can a person when getting their bike dyno-tuned @ 0' sea level request that their bike be tuned for 5000' due to them traveling between 10,000 and 0'?  ???

I doubt that they can predict what the A/F ratio would be at 10,000+ ft. You could get close, but there is to many factors that come into play.

Colorado700R

Quote from: Krandall on July 29, 2008, 03:08:39 PM
So...

I don't believe you could properly set a bike for an altitude besides for the one your at ???  You can't pull oxygen outta the air to take the proper measurements.  I've heard of some folks setting up for a 12.5 to 1 A/F ratio so they're not to too rich in the mountains, but I have to disagree with that approach.  The total air amount is constent regardless of altitude, it's the oxygen content that is less up here.  The air mixture up here has more nitrogen and some other trace gases that are lighter than oxygen effecting the overall density of the mixture, but not by a ton becuase the average oxygen content is only 20% at sea-level and roughly 18.7% at 9K.

But honestly I don't think its a big deal since Natural Raptor, Shawnz, and Myself are all running the same map.  I've run above 11K feet, Natural and Shawnz are right near sea level.  The map may not be perfect, for them, but it's real darn close.  Both have reported that the bikes pull harder with my map than any others they've had.

Aaron

kyledvor61

thats alot of big words ???

glad i dont have to deal with that shit :rofl:

Colorado700R

I will definately agree though that above 10K the oxygen content ramps down quickly (hence why fighter pilots are trained to always have their masks on above 10K), and thats why I think Shawn had major issues at 14K cause the rappy was measuring for overall density and couldnt compesate that drastically.

Bert

Sandeater

Ya riding at high altitude sucks.  Not enough air up here to shove in the motor!

I was told by a couple builders here in Colorado that you DO NOT have to change maps for altitude.  I could get a map from a guy at sea level and run it here at 5k feet and it will be the exact same.  These are guys that make custom maps that are almost like going to a custom dyno tune.  You just loose compression up here due to less air.  You don't have to remap when you change your compression right.
My Sand Only Queen
Currently being rebuilt
2006 RE 778
Slingshot Lockup
+6 SLC Ladder Swingarm
Paint by JK Customs

r00st

Very interesting info guys!

Now I have a question that was touched on earlier in this thread...

If I reset the battery (take both terminals off and system clears) Am I at the base yamaha map? I know for cars this is how it works (you need to reflash your custom tune/map to get it back to where it was).

Anybody know? I have not gotten a new map on my raptor yet but it has lid on stock airbox with pro flow k&n and barkers..and I had to reset the battery (long story) so hopefully its not on the STOCK map!!!?!?
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF