tire selection for hydroplaning?

Started by Warren, March 09, 2009, 05:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warren

i want to try out some hydroplaning with my raptor and the tires i have to try it with are my razr 2s and my 8 paddle extremes i have done it a little bit with my razrs but i'm wondering if my paddles would be better for this? any ideas?
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Out Back Welding

are u talking about skimming? if so ive heard that paddles work best.

throttlesteer

Somebody's been watching too much Nitro Circus!  :rolleyes:

:lol:
BA Performance
throttlesteer: Owner/Mechanic/Parts
Annie:  Co-Owner
dabigbratj:  Quad Mechanic/Parts

desdak4

Paddles are not very good for skimming on a quad in my experience . The paddle will tend to cup air and cause all kinds of problems. Our best luck has been with knobbies and you don't want them to be to heavy.

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Out Back Welding

haha, shows how much i know about this, coulda swore i heard that paddles worked best on this.

blueyamaha

Any one know what gear works best? For a stock Rap?

Out Back Welding

looked up " atv skimming " on u-tube, looks like people skim with whatever they have on...if they are at sand or mud they use paddles and if they are on dirt they use knobbies.

blueyamaha

Ill do it! Snow has to melt first. Ill take a video too. There is a pit near my house its got a small pond in it.

robkd

growing up out on the sand i have always used paddles, as for out in the dirt i don't really know.  Out in the sand the key is lots of speed and you have to be able to keep your momentum.  Good luck and take video of the first few times you do it please, wear a helmet!!

Livingmylife93

Quote from: blueyamaha on March 09, 2009, 06:41:01 PM
Any one know what gear works best? For a stock Rap?

The fastest one you can hit lol

blueyamaha

Always do wear a helmet. No if's and's or but's.

Really the fastest gear? lol I'm not sure I wanna hit it at 80mph. Or do I?

Out Back Welding

i think the real question is...Whats the lowest gear could i skim with on a stock setup?

blueyamaha

Now thats what im talkin bout. Haha

desdak4

To me paddles are just more inconsistant because they will sometimes cup air and sometimes water. You want to be going as fast as possible really with you rearend way over the back of the quad. You do not want those front tires to dip or it is all over :help:

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

robkd

True des but as long as he isn't letting off the gas he should be ok.  I have never done it on my raptor but have done it tons on my old banshee, and i was wide open in 5th on the banshee on a few of them, but it really depends on how far you are trying to skim across something.  I have ate it a few times trying this so definetely take people with you when you do it.  My biggest problem when i would do it is wobbling side to side with the fronts because when they sink to far its over.  I came in once and tried correcting my line to late and started the high speed power wobble across this little water hole out in the dunes and i held it until about half way then i went one way and the bike stopped dead.  If you let off or hesitate then yes the paddles will be your worst enemy and you will learn what the handlebars taste like.  Good luck