Which Paddle Tire?

Started by desdak4, February 26, 2009, 12:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

desdak4

Ok, here is the deal. I go to the dunes (St. Anthony's or Home in Oregon) every couple of years max. Otherwise, we sometimes bolt on the paddles to ride the riverbed beach where we camp. This area has a lot of stick and garbage that the idiots leave behind that can be hard on tires.

So I need to get a tough paddle with as good of hookup as possible these conditions. This is on a three mod Raptor (more to come some day) and they WILL be mounted on Baja wheels.

If you pick other please explain as I am ordering no later than tomorrow so I don't miss out on the a deal.

Thanks,
Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

preddy08

I've been rocking the sand starts for years with no problems. I ride in the same conditions as you (river bottom) and the stars hold up just fine.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Krandall

+1 I'd stick w/ something that's NOT a buffed tire due to riding river beds. i'd stick w/ a molded tire for strength. I've had my sandstars for 2 years.. I'm buying them again. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

desdak4

Are you guys running 20" Stars or did you jump to 22"?

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

preddy08

Quote from: desdak4 on February 26, 2009, 02:46:32 PM
Are you guys running 20" Stars or did you jump to 22"?

Jay

I would buy 22" starts if I could. I put some 22" haulers on for a while and they hit my nerfbars.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

Warren

i have 8 paddle extremes that i use in the sand. i think they work great for me and the mods i have.  :thumbs:
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

desdak4

Quote from: warren on February 26, 2009, 03:36:19 PM
i have 8 paddle extremes that i use in the sand. i think they work great for me and the mods i have.  :thumbs:

They are a nice paddle. I worry about tearing them up where I spend most of my time with all the crap people leave out there.

preddy08,

I am not sure about 22". I run 14/37 gearing now as I was putting on 21" paddles. I was thinking I could go with the 20" and go back to 15/38 gearing on my 3 Mod.

Jay

Warren

the extreme is built with a heavier duty paddle design. i think if you went with it you would be ok. or get that paddle design from skat trak with the huge bar across the tire. it's for when you come up on hard surfaces. i can't remember the name of it though.  ???
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

poolboytoo

those are skat-trak ''Desert Storm"- For sand & hard surface applications
2008 Raptor 700R
DMC Force 4 duals
Trinity Intake/w K&N
ProTec Airbox Lid
PC-V
22'' Holeshot XCT Rear
23'' Holeshot XCT Front
Full GYT-R Skids
GYT-R Shock Covers
ODI Rogue Grips

robkd

I run hauler extremes but i am thinking of switching because they are almost too stiff for the kind of hookup that i want.

Krandall

Aren't all the haulers buffed though?

That'd be my only concern. In a river bed, you're not rockin just sand.. It's rocks, sticks, random crap...

I would go up to a 22" if I could, but I bought 20" back when I was just big 3.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

robkd

they are buffed so yeah that could be a problem for you in a river bed

Peelz

I voted ITP Sand STar. I don't personally have them, but will when my Sand SHarks wear out in few more years. Every body I have seen with them likes them, they are durable, affordable, and work well, even with many mods.  :thumbs:

I am very impressed with the Sand sharks I have too. $100 off ebay with Douglas rims.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

desdak4

Does anyone know how tough the Extreme Haulers are, like ply or what ever?

Also, why is the 21x12x8 on Bajas 30 bucks cheaper than 20's, isn't it the one you want and I notice they put that 12 wide tire on an 8.5" wide rim is that right?

Lastly, is 8 paddles to many for a 3 Mod in the 21x12x8 Extreme?

Sorry for all the questions but, I can only buy once (poor) LOL.
Jay

Mad Dog

Quote from: desdak4 on February 27, 2009, 04:57:05 PM
Does anyone know how tough the Extreme Haulers are, like ply or what ever?
If memory serves for the last few years Skat Trak has used a Kenda Dominator carcass for most tire sizes, they are a 4 ply tire similar to a holeshot but after the buffing much of that material is removed.

The Extremes have a thicker paddle, the tire itself is no different than a standard hauler.

Also, why is the 21x12x8 on Bajas 30 bucks cheaper than 20's, isn't it the one you want

Because that tire size is more common, therefore carcasses are cheaper which makes tires cheaper.  Whether that's the size you want depends on what you're doing with it.

I notice they put that 12 wide tire on an 8.5" wide rim is that right?

While I don't see many 8.5" wide wheels (usually 8 or 9) there's no surprise they put it on a small width rim.  This allows for a more rounded profile, better floatation and better expansion with speed.

Lastly, is 8 paddles to many for a 3 Mod in the 21x12x8 Extreme?

Up a long dune, maybe, but it shouldn't be a problem on flat ground.  Worst case scenario your speed in each gear will suffer.  If you go with too few you won't have much traction off the line.

A baja wheel is a bit odd to run on a 21x12-8 paddle tire.  The reason you run a baja wheel is for the reinforcement, something you shouldn't need with that much sidewall on a paddle tire.  If it's a cosmetic decision just remember the bajas are heavy which robs more power in the sand.

If you're worried about durability a molded paddle like the sandstar is a much better choice.  The individual paddles are less likely to rip or be damaged, the outer diameter of the tire is thicker and stronger and more able to resist punctures, and they're cheaper to boot.