Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Ice racing/riding info-questions-tips-tricks. Post what you know here  (Read 4721 times)

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 3
  • Just livin' the dream!!
    • Email
Re: Ice racing/riding info-questions-tips-tricks. Post what you know here
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 05:42:17 AM »
i think ur going about ur set up all wrong. you want your rear rebound to be slow so when you get off the gas for the corners it doesnt rebound fast upfront therefor you will get more rear traction. also check your LR weight. you might have to much since u said ur LR doesnt come up. remember more LR weight your loose coming in tight coming out. try goin into the turns with ur ass on the right side or just add more RR weight. your RF shock try looseing the compression up alittle. it will roll over alittle more taking LR weight out and causing you to be tight. the LF shock your compression should be all the way soft. if you have rebound on the front loosed that up alittle. when you soften the compression on the front you should have more front end traction but play with  it so you dont lose rear traction. its all trial and error. if you have a adjustable axle suck the LR in one spacer and the RR in 2-3 spacers. play wit it try different things and it should work.

I'll try adjusting the rear shock a bit and see how it goes thanks!  The rest won't apply since we don't run in a circle but on a road track so I prettu much need to be set neutral for left and right hand corners.
    One thing I found this weekend was that my bars are still too high and with my front end up so high my ass wants to slide off the back of the bike.  I need to get my front end down so it will steer better and even out the bike front to back.  I bought a swing arm off E-bay and am going to cut it to -2 to transfer more weight onto my rear tires.  Rappys have their engines set way forward so it's very hard to get serious weight on the rear tires.  Should be a fun summer project.
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2009, 05:50:06 AM »
sully.. its jordan from escanaba on the white raptor!! the girlfriend ran my bike for the most part this year and we dont have any trouble with the corners.. as you are well aware of hahaha..  tire pressure is the biggest thing!!!  depending on how the ice is hard/soft depends on tire pressure.. I run a homemade swaybar but it has a extension from a socket set.. like 30 inch one but thats what i have on the inside of mine.. and i redid it again this year.. which the yfz has the same mounting system as the raptors.

Hey Jordan!  You need to come over and run with us next Saturday!  I had Tommy Johns run my bike this weekend and he agreed with me about getting the more weight to the back but getting the front down at the same time.  He said when he ran his YFZ450 he had the same problem and had to jack the front way up to get enough weight in the rear.  He only has to finish the race in last place next weekend to win the points for the year in Esky.
   I'm doing better without the sway bar but I can see if you're only running oval that it would help to preload the suspension.  I never run the oval so I'm not worried about that.
   Send me a PM if you want to come run with us this year, We'd love to have ya!!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 07:45:45 AM by SULLY0556 »
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Offline TeamDNS

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2009, 07:25:44 AM »
Tom and Melinda want us to come over there friday/saturday but girlfriend has to work saturday so i doubt we can make it. but ya id like to come and set the bike up for that road course you have. that would bbe lots of fun.

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 07:32:04 AM »
  We hopefully have 2-3 weeks left of riding.  Tom took 2nd in our rally here running strictly against the clock on the road track.  We took some sweet video yesterday, 2 guys had their bike mounted cameras running and we all went out an ran in a line with them weaving in and out of the pack.  Lots of passing and being passed on camera.  pretty sweet!
   Why aren't you running your Rappy this year?
06 700R with:

Offline TeamDNS

• Email
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2009, 08:38:09 AM »
dropped 5th gear..  goes in but nothing happens..  it just isnt quick enough without 5th.. if everything goes good.. i will have a yfz ready in a couple weeks to just play around.. bought one for 1000 but it needs a motor so. just waitin on that. but the girlfriend ran my bike this year and did a great job.

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2009, 08:48:36 AM »
  You must be geared WAY down.  Even on the road course I don't get into 5th gear.....
06 700R with:

Offline socalrappy700

• VIP+
  • Street Cred: 15
  • Ex Silvis, Pugnabimus
    • Raptorsource.com
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2009, 09:21:03 AM »
Damn, more esky people.  We need to get a group ride going for this summer when I'm up there.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2009, 09:32:30 AM »
  I'm game!   We have a pretty good group here already so you can ride with us anytime!  I'm hoping to make the fall pilgrimage to Silver Lake also this year.
   T&T for dinner.....

Like I said before, check out the pics at  http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=447143083
06 700R with:

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2011, 12:43:59 PM »
Well we're into the 2010/2011 season and the ice is AWESOME!  We have 2 tracks this winter (both road courses) the small one is .6 miles and the big one is 1.65 miles.  We're hitting 60 on the little track and 70+ on the big one which ROCKS!!.   It looks like our Badwater Nationals will be on 5 feb with 25+ bikes running timed laps for trophies.  Check out the Facebook page for vids, pics and info.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Badwater-Ice-Racing-Iron-Mountain-Mi/142792215754000

The changes I had this year for the bike are some +2 L/T arms and another foot peg extension.  I didn't have to change much from last year and she's running pretty well for me.

PM me if you're interested in running up here, we're always looking for more bikes!!!

Sully.
06 700R with:

Offline TeamDNS

• Email
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2011, 10:02:13 PM »
just road courses? i may just have to come up and check it out!!!  maybe some sunday when i dont have to work.. does the track get plowed alot during the day? its just a timed run? you dont actually bar to bar?  thanks sully

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 07:52:40 AM »
We only do road courses with our group.  We do Bar to Bar for fun but for the races we do timed because we're not sanctioned or insured so "racing" is illegal.  We plow when needed which is about every 2 hours when riding on the big track and every hour on the small track.  Tighter corners need to be plowed more often but the quads keep them swept pretty clean.   We also have a quad-mounted sweeper that we use sometimes and are builring a ice-mower for smoothing out the high spots.   :thumbs:
06 700R with:

Offline TeamDNS

• Email
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2011, 09:29:15 AM »
well maybe ill have to pull my raptor outa retirement and come give you guys a run for your money lol..  :lol:

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2011, 09:34:51 AM »
Bring it up!  We've got a great crew up here, it's a ton of fun and a great way to get out in the winter.  Another Rappy would be sweet.  I'm the oldest rider here and still can hold my own with kids 20+ years younger than me.   :thumbs:

We go down to lake Winnebego (sp) once a year and ride with a crew down there,  good stuff!
06 700R with:

Offline TeamDNS

• Email
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »
yeah ill head down sometime when its not super cold like this weekend is supposed to be.. ive become a FAIR weather rider lol

Offline SULLY0556

• VIP
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2011, 07:25:19 AM »
yeah ill head down sometime when its not super cold like this weekend is supposed to be.. ive become a FAIR weather rider lol

Wimp!  We'll be riding tomorrow, it's only -12 right now. :thumbs:   -20 is my limit.  We plowed last night and the track is 32' wide minimum and FAST!
06 700R with: