My new build... :) What else do I need? (Head gasket? Spark plug?) ??

Started by r00st, February 08, 2009, 06:03:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r00st

Thanks to Tim @ Barker Performance for donating the CNC head with + 1 fererra valves and beehive springs!! :) :)

My build will be as follows:
+1 CNC head with fererra valves and beehive springs
KDS "RJ" Torque cam with lash caps
Diamond 11:1 piston
+3 TB
Rocket factory in box intake
New timing curve on the dynatek (from DL700)

I already have:
programmable dynatek
tiny proflow intake (K&N)
Barkers
Evac valve

What will I need to go along with my build? I am sending the cylinder and head to Tim and he is setting the rings for me.

-Obviously I will need gaskets and I have heard OEM is the only way to go. Anyone have part numbers and/or prices on them?

- Spark plug? I dont actually even know what the stock spark plug is...do you guys with mild engine builds change the plug at all? (iridium? Copper? change the heat range?)

- Head studs? I know they are mandatory on bigger builds and high compression but I will be 11:1 on a stock bore... My original engine only has about 30 hours on it. Think my stock studs stretched? Should I replace with oem to be safe, or not needed for my build? Anyone have price/part number?

Anything else??? I think that will be it, but if anyone can think of something let me know so I can be sure to get it beforehand so the re-assembly goes smoothly!

Thanks guys!

-Mike
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Krandall

OEM Head Gaskets for the win.

I'm running the stock plug still (Just Irridium)
As far as head studs. The stock ones should be fine, but.. It's nice having the peace of mind behind your mods. :thumbs:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

r00st

Ya im thinking about just ordering new OEM studs... Figure im only doing 11:1 compression and stock bore/stroke so shouldnt be too much stress on the studs to seal.

Anyone know if the above part number is correct for the head studs?

There are two sets of studs...the long studs that go into the case and hold the cylinder on
& the shorter studs that hold the head to the cylinder.

Which studs are notorious for stretching? I want to make sure I order the right parts.
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Kenny

You aren't gonna have any trouble with the factory head bolts. They measure out at 150,000 ksi tensile strength, and are not torque to yield. New factory bolts are cheap enough to just go ahead and replace them for extra insurance. You can easily add 10% to the torque values. The reason Yamaha keeps the torque rating so low is cylinder distortion.... The key to making a head gasket last is careful surface preparation. Smooth and flat is the order of the day, especially anyone using MLS gaskets. The factory Yamaha surfacing is not good enough to comfortably use a MLS gasket.

It sounds like you have your act together on the build. Don't let Tim Barker measure my cam as he might be a spy ???
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Colorado700R

Thanks Kenny, I wasn't sure you'd see my PM about this. 

I was about ready to do smoke signals, or put some dork with a leather vest in canoe down river to find you.   :lol:

r00st

Ok I will just replace the head studs then. They are only like 5 bucks each.

Thanks for the reply :) Lol I will tell tim to back off if I get a "spidey sense" he is taking a mic to your cam lol.

My build will be a bit of a mutt...

Your evac valve, +3 TB, & RJ cam

Tim's head with fererra valves/beehives & his duals

Daniels curve on the dynatek and either daniels or tims map

Diamond 11:1

Rocket factories in box intake (but probably using their adaptor with a large No toil foam filter)

Coming from just the big 4 I think this should REALLY wake her up! I am stoked to have 65whp with 50+ ft/lbs on a stock bore!

Now i just need to find a few extra hundred bucks to get an SLC +4 under her...65whp on a stock swinger will be a challenge im sure.

2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Kenny

So far Tim's dyno looks like another one of those heartbreakers. I will be watching your build very carefully..... The RJ cam has me intrigued. If you see how much top-end power Daniels bike has picked up since it is broken in, and how it has smoothed out. I was a little concerned with the drop off up top, it turns out the motor maybe wasn't broken in yet. If your test turns out as well...... :grin_nod:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

r00st

Thats good to hear. Cant beat extra power! Even though your cam originally showed a .3 hp loss over the hc3 (not that .3 would ever be felt) seeing the 3-5+ hp and tq gain through 50% of the low end/midrange over the HC3 made it a VERY easy decision for me.

You have essentially combined an HC2 with an HC3; and then some :)

My only problem is there are no competent dyno operators close to me. I would drive up to tim..but its 6 hours. One place was close to me but shut its doors. Another place does not seem to know that much about PCIII's which kind of sucks. I just dont want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a tune that wont be any better than daniels map.
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

dabigbratj

Quote from: r00st on February 11, 2009, 09:52:33 PM

My only problem is there are no competent dyno operators close to me. I would drive up to tim..but its 6 hours. One place was close to me but shut its doors. Another place does not seem to know that much about PCIII's which kind of sucks. I just dont want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a tune that wont be any better than daniels map.
We will go to tony tice in perry ia very well known and knows what he is doing
the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger:

r00st

lol thats the same distance as Tim is from me!

Midwest sucks for most performance applications :(
2007 Raptor 700 SE
With some SHTUFF

Kenny

Quote from: r00st on February 11, 2009, 09:52:33 PM
Thats good to hear. Cant beat extra power! Even though your cam originally showed a .3 hp loss over the hc3 (not that .3 would ever be felt) seeing the 3-5+ hp and tq gain through 50% of the low end/midrange over the HC3 made it a VERY easy decision for me.

You have essentially combined an HC2 with an HC3; and then some :)

Now that we have the springs dealt with it will kick the piss out of the HC3 everywhere :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

Tim Barker

I am going to measure it to see how many sparks it makes on the belt sander until it is gone :poke: ;)

Barkers Performance
www.barkersexhaust.com

dabigbratj

the Merchant of Miscellanious Merchandise 

:swinger: