Anyone running heated grips?

Started by Headrope, February 08, 2009, 01:08:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

Took my wife out riding in typical Washington Winter weather (cold, wet, etc.) and have to admit: my fingers damned near froze off. I can tough it out but am thinking of getting heated grips for my wife.

Do any of y'all have them on your Raptors?

Is there a brand that's better than others?

Are there any concerns regarding heated grips I need to be aware of?
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Blair

your obviously not riding hard enough... if you ride harder the blood pumping to your fingers will keep them warm... hahah
"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -

Warren

my buddy rides with a set of like mitten things. there are just a big insolated pouch that you put over your handle bars and then just put your hand inside them.  i guess they work really good, but i just don't know about being some-what strapped to my quad if it happens to roll over. but he rolled his the other day and it threw him off really good. lol so maybe you could look into these things. if you want more info i could probably find some online for you.  :thumbs:
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Headrope

I think we'll pass on the mittens. But keep the info coming.

Two '06 700R SEs

desdak4

The handle bar covers work great. Mine have a pouch inside for those little heat packs. I can put on regular riding gloves in 0 degree weather and head out.

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

GregKJ

My wife just brought up heated grips yesterday.  Keeping our hands warm is the main reason we haven't rode in a few months.

desdak4

That is very close to what I have. You can find them cheap from Rocky Mountain and Cabela's.

Jay
'07 Raptor 700 SE / Monster Duals / PC III / FUEL ATV Intake / AC Pro Pegs / Pro Armor Bumper / Pro Armor Grab Bar / G-Force Spacers / G-Force Hubs / 36 Tooth / T-9 BAJAs w/GNCCs / Flexx Bars / Dr. D Reverse Lever / Full Skids / Pro Armor Kill / Kennys CrankCase Valve and more to come I am sure

Headrope

These are the ones I'm looking at: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0020005521344a.shtml

They don't have a thumb warmer, but I don't remember my wife every saying her thumb was cold; even it was am unsure if an extra $40 for just a thumb warmer would be worthwhile.

Yes - I'm that cheap of a bastard. :lol:
Two '06 700R SEs

Krandall

I know people will call me gay.. whatev..

But have you looked into hand guards?

The difference between having mine and not having them in the winter here in Minn is seriously night and day.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

WOuldn't dream of it Krandall!.  :lol:

THose sleeves or mittens work fine. They don't strap to your arms or anything. You can just put your regular gloves on.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Bert

Quote from: Headrope on February 10, 2009, 01:22:30 PM
These are the ones I'm looking at: http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0020005521344a.shtml

They don't have a thumb warmer, but I don't remember my wife every saying her thumb was cold; even it was am unsure if an extra $40 for just a thumb warmer would be worthwhile.

It would be nice to have a thumb warmer as well.... If your riding in light rain I could see your wife's thumb getting cold especially at elevation.  Then you'd be disapointed you didn't get the thumb warmer  ::)

I'm cheap to so I haven't bought heated grips either. Some $40 snowmobile gloves do the trick and aren't bulky.  Krandall had mentioned somewhere about snow boarding gloves being thin & warm....just a thought

FoundArealQuad

Quote from: Krandall on February 10, 2009, 01:43:32 PM

But have you looked into hand guards?

The difference between having mine and not having them in the winter here in Minn is seriously night and day.
I like given you poo Krandall, but I  have ran the Power madds on every quad I have owned and the wife already has a set like yours. I will have mine a few weeks. Washington State was the reason I started using them.  :thumbs:
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

sandaddy

My wife has them on her Raptor !!  She had them on her old Polaris 500 and liked them, so she asked me to put them on her Raptor.......AND I  DID !  :grin_nod:

The brand I put on is Symtec and they have both hand warmers and thumb warmers that run off the same install. I got the style with the rocker switch and put it on the left fender similar location to the Reverse switch on right fender. Went on pretty easy.....except my first attempt to get a hot headlight wire....I got the starter wire instead.....When I`d turn on low for hand warmers, the bike would start....LOL

~ Sandaddy  8)
`06 780 Duner   Sandaddys Kid
`07 686 Duner   The "Spare"
`08 727 Duner    Dad`s Bike
`09 843 Duner    Dad`s Super Duner
`08 Z400 Duner  Moms` Bike
`10 Da Rzr        The Family Toy

GregKJ

Quote from: Krandall on February 10, 2009, 01:43:32 PM

I won't... Unless you keep using words like "whatev."