What would you do? (cracked frame w/pics)

Started by BADRAP08, February 03, 2009, 09:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BADRAP08

so i just noticed that i have a pretty substantial gash/crack in my frame. will welding this back together help or hurt my situation? i couldnt imagine it hurting...right?

any input is appreciated :thumbs:

08 700R SE

FoundArealQuad

Welding could not hurt it anymore than it already is. I've seen a ton of frames welded and most hold up well. Just make sure a good welder does it.
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

zx10r203

Wow, thats painful.  Like said before, welding could not hurt anymore. 

Weld it up!!!

Colorado700R

If I'm looking at it correctly, the broken part is the mid subframe assembly, and it's cast aluminum.  And Cast Aluminum doesn't weld worth shit  :(

FoundArealQuad

could you try bolting a piece steel under it ???
DMC Force 4s, PCIII, Mod Quad Intake, Flexx Bars, Alba Nerfs with Pro Pegs, Rox +2 adjustable risers, CCP, EHS airbox cover

Krandall

Quote from: Colorado700R on February 03, 2009, 10:12:50 PM
If I'm looking at it correctly, the broken part is the mid subframe assembly, and it's cast aluminum.  And Cast Aluminum doesn't weld worth shit  :(

+1 That's a cast aluminum part like Aaron said, Cast Aluminum doesn't weld up very well. they end up being weak. I don't think that part is critical in frame structure So I would think, even if you left it.. You'd be fine. (just get a solid belly skid.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Kamakazi

run a skid, make one or buy one, the skid should distribute the force of any impact, and hopefully hold the crack together.  id honestly be tempted to make a steel skid.  also start pricing out a subframe, that way if a dirt cheap one comes up on ebay you can snatch it up quick.  never hurts to have a spare.
98% of north americans that hit the ditch say "oh shit", the other 2% are from saskatchewan and say "hold my beer and watch this"

Warren

i'm good to say from the looks of it that something poked upwards at it. like a big rock or something. if you know any good TIG welders you could have they try to weld it up but if not i would say just get a good aluminum belly skid and then just keep an eye on it. if it worsens then you will have to get it welded. but like Krandall and Aaron said cast aluminum doesn't weld for shit. that's why i said get a TIG welder to do it.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

BADRAP08

That pretty much what i figured...Thanks all...im sure its no walk in the park to completely change out a sub frame.

i guess the ole saying goes if SH-T aint breakin you aint ridin :grin_nod:.... :(
08 700R SE

fire raptor

Quote from: BADRAP08 on February 04, 2009, 02:24:59 PM
That pretty much what i figured...Thanks all...im sure its no walk in the park to completely change out a sub frame.

i guess the ole saying goes if SH-T aint breakin you aint ridin :grin_nod:.... :(
Or protectin!!!

fire raptor

OK I would take it down to a good TIG allum welder and see what he could do to beef it up, reenforcing plates or whatever, then put skids on it . It would drive me nuts knowing that there was a big 'ass' crack there. Also is that another crack forward of your brake pedal?

monster757

I would probably cry. But that is why I have full skids.

Headrope

Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

throttlesteer

Tear down time!

I wouldn't trust it with my life for sure.  Not worth coming down hard off a jump and really wrecking something else or even you. :thumbs:
BA Performance
throttlesteer: Owner/Mechanic/Parts
Annie:  Co-Owner
dabigbratj:  Quad Mechanic/Parts

powder coater

I could weld it and it would hold as long as it didn't take another direct impact. The problem is I wouldn't want to weld it with everything still in place. So you would need to pull the motor. If your going to that much trouble replacing it would be a better option.
Jason for Presedent !