Thoughts on Swinger Skids

Started by Oilfield_Mafia, February 02, 2009, 07:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oilfield_Mafia

I ordered the Pro Armor Full skid last night from KB. But I wanted to hear some thoughts from everyone on the Swinger skids.. My stock plastic one is kinda tore up right under the rear sprocket, so its an eyesore, and not doing much for protection right now. I would eventually like to go to a +2 swinger but Im not sure I would ever need it just for some trail riding and a little bit of flat track racing.

Is it worth it to have an aluminum swinger skid if I am woried about denting it? Or should that even be a concern? Stick with a new plastic or go pro armor swinger skid? Thoughts please..
Member #1 of Team Prick - GTFOMW

Horsepower is like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it.. Than need it and not have it.

Krandall

If travel in the rear is of concern to you, I'd stick w/ the stock plastic one. You lose about 1" of travel w/ the aluminum.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on February 02, 2009, 08:05:16 AM
If travel in the rear is of concern to you, I'd stick w/ the stock plastic one. You lose about 1" of travel w/ the aluminum.

you mean ground clearance, I hope?
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

zx10r203

Quote from: PeelsSE2 on February 02, 2009, 11:32:43 AM

With an aluminum skid you can't travel as much!!  :thumbs:

Peelz

Quote from: zx10r203 on February 02, 2009, 11:45:36 AM
Quote from: PeelsSE2 on February 02, 2009, 11:32:43 AM

With an aluminum skid you can't travel as much!!  :thumbs:

:lol: That is what I figured. 4.4" stock clearance under arm. 3.4 not so good.
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Jamie700R

If you ride in rocky terrain id get a prm swinger skid.

Headrope

I don't think of aluminum swing arm skids as protecting the swing arm as much as the brake rotor. So considering where, how hard and how far away from the staging areas I normally ride the decision as to whether or not to ditch the plastic one was pretty much made for me.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

fire raptor

In the middle of Baja we are under my son,s Raptor with a big wrench that I had to ride to a farm house to borrow just to staighten his brake rotor. He had plastic skids. Now he has Pro Armor. We run tall tires so ground clearance is not a issue. Pay now or pay later!

Oilfield_Mafia

Thanks ya'll.. I guess I will order one of them too. :thumbs:
Member #1 of Team Prick - GTFOMW

Horsepower is like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it.. Than need it and not have it.

Out Back Welding

ok, i had a thought that just might be perfect for your situation, those unbreakable polycarbonate formfit skids.
only problem is i cant seem to find them...ive read about them and even seen adds for them for raptors...anyone remember where to find those? im thinkin about getting some skids when i get taxes back and thats the route i was going to go...via the clearance issue.

Krandall

I think... the only one that's poly for the swingarm is the OEM one. I know they make a poly one for the belly skid. that's the only one I can recall seeing.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Out Back Welding

dang i could swear i saw a full set someone recommended, on the other site about a year ago.

if i remember they had like a lite greenish tent to them(kinda lame), cant remember if u could get diff colors

its been so long...cant recall ??? :confused: :'(

Gunz

There is an plastic/poly aftermarket one, its black, durable as hell and its rounded instead square. I can't find it either. I had a ProArmor swinger skid on my 510 and thought it was cool at first, but grew to hate it. It was heavy and I lost over an inch of ground clearance. I finally took it off after a rock got wedged between it and my chain causing my sprocket to snap. It was f'n hilarious (sarcasm) dragging a bike 10 miles through heavy rocks. Me.... for now on will run the stock plastic skid. Plus a stock skid can be had for $10 all day long on the net.  It really doesn't matter what you do it'll be wrong, lol.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

zx10r203

Out Back Welding

yeah thats all that i could find too...ill look some more tomarrow.