Is a stock 660 better than a stock 700?

Started by Headrope, January 19, 2009, 02:22:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Headrope

What can I do to make my 700 more like a 660? Before flaming, read on ...

I've long been a proponent of the 700 but had the chance to beat up on the neighbor's quad the other day  - how could I turn that down? I rode his stock '05 660 and having been on the 700 since it came out I have to admit: I was impressed.

The shocks didn't squat as much on the 660, it had more ground clearance, and I could lift the front wheels just by blipping the throttle. I felt like I had complete control of the thing. My 700 on the other hand (completely stock) squats when I sit on it, won't lift the front unless I really reef on the handlebars and is a lowrider. Honestly, it felt like the only thing that makes my 700 better than the 660 is that it's not so tipsy around turns.

Many people made similar comments in the early days of the 700 but now that the 700 has been around a couple of years I wonder if anyone else is thinking the same. I want the top end and cornering of the 700 but the throttle response, gearing and clearance the 660 provides.  What do I need to do?
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Warren

well you could get better shocks for your 700, get some taller tires for more GC, and do the big 3 mod to get the throttle reponse and them some. i know it wouldn't be stock anymore but hey you will like it better i'm sure of it.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Peelz

one word: YES! :lol:

I will hopefully be letting you know this week, as I plan to trade my 660 in.  :thumbs:

But I hear you. 660 Has alot more low end. I am worried I will miss it. But the grab bar won't miss me. :lol:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Blair

you could probably stiffen up your stock suspension, my guess it that it would help with all of the above...

stiffer suspension = less squatting...
stiffer suspension = easier wheelies...

give it a try... i have ridden a 660 and a 700 and i would have a hard time going back to a 660 now

"The Difference Between Genius and Stupidity... Genius Has It's Limits"
"Scars are the Tattoo's of the Brave"
06 Raptor 700 SE - Pro Circuit T4 - PCIII - ASV Levers - AC Racing Nerfs - AC belly Skid (broken) - Holeshot XCR - Pro Taper Raptor Bend Bars - Pro-Tec Prefilter Airbox Lid - HID Headlights -

wastednuts

BRAD

stiffen your shocks up.  you will get more ground clearance when you get on, less squat,  and easier wheelies
2007 GYTR Raptor
ROCK series skids
Yoshimura RS7
Motoworks Fuel programmer-(Dobeck Style)
Holeshot HD tires

air

he 660 wheelies easier due to a shorter swingarm and the weight bias being back more.
Rusty

Peelz

Quote from: air on January 19, 2009, 08:55:25 PM
he 660 wheelies easier due to a shorter swingarm and the weight bias being back more.

and having a ridiculous torque peak, where the 700's power delivery is smooth and linear.  :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

dgreenbluet

Yea i thought one of the complaints of the 660 was how easy they wheelied so when they designed the 700 they tried to fix that.  I dont think alot of people would consider a machine that wheelies really easy a "better" machine than one that doesnt. 
08 Rapester/734cc 105.5mm Bore/11:1 JE Piston/Big Bore Barkers/FCI wBox/Dynateck Prog. Ign./PCIII/15T Sprocket/Trail Tech Vapor wDash Mount/Moose Nerf, Heel Guards, Race Pegs/Full Skids/Bling Star Victory Bumper/Six Pack Rack

Headrope

Quote from: dgreenbluet on January 20, 2009, 12:04:53 AM
Yea i thought one of the complaints of the 660 was how easy they wheelied so when they designed the 700 they tried to fix that.  I dont think alot of people would consider a machine that wheelies really easy a "better" machine than one that doesnt. 

Agreed. But being able to pop the nose up on command while keeping my feet on the pegs would be nice.

And so we're clear: I'm not trying to get any digs in on the 700. I love them and own two. I was just surprised after riding 700s for several years at how nice the stock 660s actually were and would like to have some of that but with my 700.

BTW, love the avatar dgreenbluet.  :thumbs:
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

Peelz

Quote from: Headrope on January 20, 2009, 12:24:39 AM
Quote from: dgreenbluet on January 20, 2009, 12:04:53 AM

Agreed. But being able to pop the nose up on command while keeping my feet on the pegs would be nice.

And so we're clear: I'm not trying to get any digs in on the 700. I love them and own two. I was just surprised after riding 700s for several years at how nice the stock 660s actually were and would like to have some of that but with my 700.

BTW, love the avatar dgreenbluet.  :thumbs:

I liked the ease of wheelie when I test rode the 660. Wrote a check for it the same day. I noticed the same phenomonon when I rode a 700, but the handling is way above what the 660 can do.

Maybe smaller front sprocket. It is a cheap way to get close,  but you'll be shifting more..like a 660. Taller bars?  Crank up the rear shock?

Krandall

how about a comparison to mods?  ???

I know, I rode my neighbors 660 before. and I was also very surprised. but had intake, rejetted and full pipe. so it was like.. wow....

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on January 20, 2009, 06:24:48 AM

I know, I rode my neighbors 660 before. and I was also very surprised. but had intake, rejetted and full pipe. so it was like.. wow....

Haven't ridden a modded 700...... yet.

Krandall

Quote from: Peels660 on January 20, 2009, 06:46:41 AM

After I did my big 3 mods.. just the HMF pipe at the time no barkers. I felt mine had similar power low end and it kept pulling through the high RPM's vs. the 660 which felt like it fell off.

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Peelz

Quote from: Krandall on January 20, 2009, 07:35:33 AM
Quote from: Peels660 on January 20, 2009, 06:46:41 AM

After I did my big 3 mods.. just the HMF pipe at the time no barkers. I felt mine had similar power low end and it kept pulling through the high RPM's vs. the 660 which felt like it fell off.

100% true 660 has more low end, but falls on it's face until you put in a cam.