anyone had a problem with fouled plugs when removing the air box lid?

Started by robkd, January 19, 2009, 09:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

robkd

I keep taking the lid off the air box when i go to the sand and it fouls the plug everytime in about 30 seconds, any suggestions?

Colorado700R

intresting  ???  You would think the removal of the lid would create a lean condition vice a rich one.  I take it you don't have a fuel controller yet?  If not, that would be the first step IMO.

Aaron

fire raptor

Dust and particles in the intake can cause plug fouling. But if that is the case the fouling is the least of your worrys.

robkd

I do have a fuel controller, and a k&n filter kit, with a slip on but will be ordering monsters or barkers as soon as i sell a couple of the other parts i have lying around.  It is a wierd thing that is happening it just sounds like when a filter collapses almost but its not collapsing......hmmmmmm.......  guess i might have to adjust controller possibly?

Colorado700R

Quote from: robkd on January 21, 2009, 02:01:19 PM
I do have a fuel controller, and a k&n filter kit, with a slip on but will be ordering monsters or barkers as soon as i sell a couple of the other parts i have lying around.  It is a wierd thing that is happening it just sounds like when a filter collapses almost but its not collapsing......hmmmmmm.......  guess i might have to adjust controller possibly?

Try my map in Krandalls site.  It's under "Stock".  It's for a Pro-design/K&N/ and an aftermarket spark arrestor, but it should give you an idea if your map is the problem.

Also do you have the Accel pump option on ?

Aaron

1badazz_700r

This is just a theory based on some things i remember reading along time ago about the 700. the intake tube can collapse under heavy throttle. So possibly by romoving the lid allowing a significant suction through the intake tube is causing it to collapse and fouling the plug do to. to much fuel and not enough air being mixed not allowing it to burn the extra fuel fast enough. I have not had this problem personally,but remember reading about the intake tube on the raptor forum a long time ago.

Just a little 778
105.5 WK cylinder CP 11:1
hotrods +5 crank
racersedge +2 head,with webb4
54mmTB with custom intake
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
hiper dual beadlocks/w gncc holeshots
flexx bars,burgard+2stem/w antivibe
ASV's
odi's

double06

Quote from: 1badazz_700r on January 21, 2009, 04:13:54 PM
This is just a theory based on some things i remember reading along time ago about the 700. the intake tube can collapse under heavy throttle. So possibly by romoving the lid allowing a significant suction through the intake tube is causing it to collapse and fouling the plug do to. to much fuel and not enough air being mixed not allowing it to burn the extra fuel fast enough. I have not had this problem personally,but remember reading about the intake tube on the raptor forum a long time ago.

Watchu talkin bout Willis?   :confused:
I got a '06 with some KDS Racing bells and whistles  :grin_nod:

1badazz_700r

Like i said i have never had this problem. Just read awhile back that the intake tube between the airbox and TB is wkinda weak and can collapse under hard acceleration. So i just thought i would throw it out there. Im just stumped that buy taking the lid off causes it to foul a plug ???

Just a little 778
hotrods +5 crank
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm
ASV's
odi's

robkd

Some friends and i were going through this and my buddy as a 08' just like mine except he had his built and dyno'd at Crazy deals in Coos Bay, Or., anyways his did the same thing and it was collapsing the tube.  I am ordering a different fuel controller because mine is not a usb style to where i can load maps into it.  I bought without doing research and ended up with a quadworks kit and its not so great.  Thanks for the help fellas.

09RappySE

Hmmmm...strange, by removing the lid you provide less resistance to the motors ability to suck in air which should make it less likely to collapse the tube with the lid off. not the opposite
734 09 Raptor
Meglodon by Bo,KW springs, Web 4 Cam, 54mm TB, 105.5mm CP cylinder, 12:1 CP,Barkers Inframe,Dynatek Coil,PC V,Dynatek Programable ignition,CCP stabilizer,+5 swinger,Boss Noss, Direct Drive Lock-up, KDS Evac valve,HID conversion,SPAL fan
Tuned by EHS Racing 74hp 52Tq

07 LT-R450
500cc Kit
Porting by Bo
DMC Pro Comp 4
Trinity intake
ATP intake Cam
Tuned by EHS 50hp 34Tq

1badazz_700r

I would think it would collapse quicker because its not choked up and allowing the engine to draw air in at a higher velocity. when the lid is on its only going to get what little bit of air it can through the snorkle in the lid keeping it some what pressurised.JMO :thumbs:

Just a little 778
hotrods +5 crank
sparks X-6exhaust
PC5/w autotune
dynatek programmable
slingshot lockup
+3 stock swingarm