Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: Barkers New Billet Clamps (upgrade from old strap style)  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
Barkers New Billet Clamps (upgrade from old strap style)
« on: January 13, 2009, 05:38:32 PM »

Image from www.tqsatv.com

Tim Barker from Barker's Performance has introduced a new clamp to replace the old finicky style strap for the dual pipe setups. Like most I wanted this upgrade, but also like most couldn't justify the $120 price tag. Recently Barker ran a holiday special on some of his products. These new clamps were advertised at $99.95 shipped. I jumped on the deal and sent Tim a paypal for a blue set of billet clamps.

Shipping was included in price, but shipping was a bit slow. Most likely due to the Holidays and I wouldn't assume that to be the norm. When my package arrived I impressed with the packaging. The set of clamps were shrink wrapped together and packed into a perfect size box. At first glance my thoughts were "bling bling baby".

Installation was a breeze. The old style straps are a bit of a pain in the ass to bolt on. In order to install the old straps you have to somehow squeeze the ends together, stab the bolt through the hole, maintain the spacer, and thread the bolt all in one shot. A true pain in the ass. The new ones however are extremely simple. First take your new clamps and begin to slide them over the can (they are extremely snug, take a big flat tip screwdriver and pry open the clamp at the bolt part). Be patient, or you will scratch your cans. Once you get the bolt holes aligned bolt them on. No more fighting as like the with the old straps.

I had about 350 hours on the old straps so I wanted to inspect them. They didn't have any stress marks or metal tear, but the rubber was wearing thin. I kept them for backups. To resolve some of the clearance issues with the new clamp I've been hearing about, well I had zero issues. I have about 3/8th" on both sides, which was the same with the old style.

My dealings with Tim Barker at Barker's Performance was excellent.

Shipping was ok-good, but most likely due to the holidays. (I had a few late packages from amazon, ebay, and other as well during the same time)

The new billet clamps look great compared to the older style straps.

The install compared to the older style was 10 times easier.

Price is on the high side, but billet is an accessory and looks are gonna cost you no matter what. So $100 for these? Hell why not, I'm happy.

Old style (before)

New style (after)

Michael

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline cowtownup

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • I gotta have it....
    • Email
Re: Barkers New Billet Clamps (upgrade from old strap style)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:36:03 PM »
I have these clamps on my rappy and they are "SOLID" as well as sharp looking....  Installation was a breeze, of course when you are bolting up Barkers your butt can hardly wait to hear them bark...   I never had the old style so I can speak on them, but the new billet clamps ROCK... You will not be disappointed...

Peace...
Cowtown...
PCIII
Barker Duals
Pro Design with K&N Filter
Dynojet Ignition Module
Web Cam Stage 3
Diamond Piston (12.5 to 1)
+3 Throttle Body (KDS Racing)
Dynotune Nitrous Kit (Wet System)
SLC +6 Quadcustoms Ladder (PC's Black)
PRM Desert Grab Bar (PC'd Black)
CRJ Lowering Blocks (Front)

Offline zx10r203

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 1
  • NOMAD SYNDICATE
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2009, 11:23:52 AM »
Looking good!! I got mine on also and it was a delicate process sliding them on!! But it looks 100x better!!

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 07:49:16 PM »
The function is no different then the old straps, but the looks of the new clamps are 10 times better.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar