Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: asphalt drags  (Read 1287 times)

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
asphalt drags
« on: May 20, 2008, 01:57:03 PM »
I saw a 700 at an 1/8th mile track Friday night.    He had front struts and had the rear strapped down.  Is there anything wrong with making a strut for the back?  I went over and talked to him a bit but mostly left him alone.  I could have stood there the whole night and asked him questions.  :lol:  He was there to run his quad, not answer questions.  He trail rides and stuff but had some motor work done and wanted to see how it ran on the strip.

If installing a rear strut is too much trouble, how about a rod/strap/bar that runs from the subframe to the swingarm to eliminate movement?  That probably sounds dangerous and stupid but this is strictly running on a 1/8th mile asphalt drag strip, so no bumps to absorb.
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
Re: asphalt drags
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 03:34:15 PM »
SandDragon is running a rear strut in place of his shock. I personally don't see anything wrong with it.. But then again. Sub454 was running a Marvin Shaw for his rear shock w/ a +12" swing arm.. ???

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline 1FST690

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 10:04:01 PM »
I run a strut on the rear for flat sand drags with a wheelie bar. I also run a rear shaw on a +12 for hillshooting. There is nothing wrong with either setup. With the shaw it is very easy to manipulate rear suspension setup with nitrogen pressure. The strut is more difficult to adjust as there is only so much thread to screw in or out. I have two different lengths of rear strut depending on track condition. Shorter strut means more weight rearward and longer strut will transfer more weight forward and on launch not allow as much rearward weight transfer.
04 686 Duner
02 NMR 650+ modified "High Mainenance"
02 Scrambler 500
02 Sportsman 500HO ( For Sale )

Offline disco

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 9
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »
Good info.  I was wondering.  I guess that guy didn't use a rear strut because it's a whole lot easier strap the back down.  One of these days I hope to run mine down the strip.
mostly stock with a 12t sprocket of fury

Offline ThisGuyAlex

• Street Cred: 1
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:53:56 AM »
i used to strap the forks on my r6 when i took it to the strip always woked fine for me and that was a 10 sec. 1/4 mile bike....quite a bit faster than a raptor
sold the raptor....full on 05 yfz in progress...

stock parts: fuel tank, swingarm and rear shock