Megacycle vs Hotcams

Started by wobble, December 05, 2008, 07:11:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wobble

I'd like to do some upgrades to my build next month. I'm thinking porting, 12:1 or 14:1 CP piston (Racer's Edge AZ, Kenny's, or Barker's Diamond piston), and changing out my HC2 for a HC3 or Megacycle. I ride 75% trail and 25% dunes. Alot of the trail riding I do is the tight, technical type. Because of this, I don't want to lose any low end power. I already noticed some loss when going to the HC2. I've learned to manage with it, but I don't want to lose any more.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has input to this. Also hoping for some input from Kenny, Bo, Racer's Edge AZ, or Tim if possible.

Thanks in advance.

-Dave

sandaddy

Hey Dave....Hope all is well   :grin_nod:   I haven`t talked to you since I got my build done with the R E head, 105 bore, +3 TB, +1 Valves, Megacycle X-2 and 12:1 CP piston and lock-up clutch. So far, after 3 trips with new build, this set-up seems to be very good on the dunes. Lots more power on all the ranges with no loss that I can tell at the bottom ( Butt dyno says much more at bottom ).... I couldn`t do a base run on dyno to be able to compare actual before and after......Definitely more at mid and top. It keeps on pulling at high revs/speeds......more than I`ll go !!. I think it would also do real well on the trails.

Kenny didn`t have his piston at the time I did this, but that would be a strong consideration if I were to do it again. Morgan and John were super at Racer`s Edge and delivered as they said they would on turn-a-round. I did not mill cylinder, so gave up a little compression with the CP piston.....But Kenny`s Piston at proper deck height would give you a little more, which I think would also help out your bottom end. Grant just did a Kenz CNC head on one of his bikes with some other mods....but I don`t know if he has run it yet.

Let me know if you have any specific questions that I could help you with................~ Don  8)
`06 780 Duner   Sandaddys Kid
`07 686 Duner   The "Spare"
`08 727 Duner    Dad`s Bike
`09 843 Duner    Dad`s Super Duner
`08 Z400 Duner  Moms` Bike
`10 Da Rzr        The Family Toy

DL700

if u want to retain the torque then u should wait another week or so,,,,we will have a hc3 vs KDS RJ cam test.....and others to come after the new year....
addind a pisto to your current setup will get u all your torque back....every bike ive ran with the hc3 seems to have big torque loss on the bottom end...

http://www.raptorsource.com/forum/index.php?topic=2820.0
CUERVO RACING

wobble

Quote from: DL700 on December 05, 2008, 01:06:57 PM
if u want to retain the torque then u should wait another week or so,,,,we will have a hc3 vs KDS RJ cam test.....and others to come after the new year....

I can wait for that. That would be great info!

Quote from: DL700 on December 05, 2008, 01:06:57 PM
addind a pisto to your current setup will get u all your torque back....every bike ive ran with the hc3 seems to have big torque loss on the bottom end...

So you are saying even with a higher compression piston, if I put a megacycle or hc3 in I will lose torque on the bottom end from what I have now?

I'm also hoping a custom curve on my ignition will help the bottom end out as well.

wobble

Quote from: sandaddy on December 05, 2008, 11:01:00 AM
Hey Dave....Hope all is well   :grin_nod:   I haven`t talked to you since I got my build done with the R E head, 105 bore, +3 TB, +1 Valves, Megacycle X-2 and 12:1 CP piston and lock-up clutch. So far, after 3 trips with new build, this set-up seems to be very good on the dunes. Lots more power on all the ranges with no loss that I can tell at the bottom ( Butt dyno says much more at bottom ).... I couldn`t do a base run on dyno to be able to compare actual before and after......Definitely more at mid and top. It keeps on pulling at high revs/speeds......more than I`ll go !!. I think it would also do real well on the trails.

Kenny didn`t have his piston at the time I did this, but that would be a strong consideration if I were to do it again. Morgan and John were super at Racer`s Edge and delivered as they said they would on turn-a-round. I did not mill cylinder, so gave up a little compression with the CP piston.....But Kenny`s Piston at proper deck height would give you a little more, which I think would also help out your bottom end. Grant just did a Kenz CNC head on one of his bikes with some other mods....but I don`t know if he has run it yet.

Let me know if you have any specific questions that I could help you with................~ Don  8)

Hey Don! Hope all has been well. Sounds like you went a little crazier on your build than you originally planned! :lol: I guess if I would have done that the first time, I wouldn't be wanting to do more. Well......actually......I probably would have wanted to do more anyway!

What type/brand of gas are you running with your setup?

DL700

yes...its the cam that retains the torque......u r going to have to add some serious compression or cc to get the same torque curve as the stock cam with the hc3 even the 11/1 hc3 setup is still shy of the stock cam curve...
CUERVO RACING

wobble

Maybe I should just get the head ported and go with a 14:1 piston then. Just leave my HC2 in there. Then get a custom curve on the ignition and a good custom map made. Either that or shell out the money to have a +5 crank installed.

SUB454

Put a crank in it already :lol: and port the head, big azz cam, oversize valve's, high comp piston....sorry I get alittle excited sometimes :grin_nod:

DIRECTDRIVE

wobble

Not everyone has your budget! :lol:

SUB454

Quote from: wobble on December 05, 2008, 06:29:06 PM
Not everyone has your budget! :lol:

My bad :bash: Hey, I'm broke now.....hope I have enough money to race next year :'(
DIRECTDRIVE

wobble

I think the problem is I'm trying to build a quad for two totally different needs. It's already a handful in the tight trails. I find myself clutching it alot since it won't lug anymore. It sputters and wants to die. Damn it! I need two quads! :lol:

wobble

Ah F*ck it. I'm just gonna call RE and get me a piston, cam, and port job.  :grin_nod:

Kenny

I would go straight for a stroker crank. Big bore kits, or anything else won't add up to the net gain you are looking for on the bottom. The stroker crank will net BIG increases across the entire range with what you have now, and will add even more potential for gains when you do the top end bolt ons. As the budget allows, you can add the rest... :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

wobble

Thanks for the response Kenny. I have a stupid question. If I went with a stroker crank, can I use the piston I have now?

preddy08

Quote from: wobble on December 06, 2008, 09:22:49 AM
Thanks for the response Kenny. I have a stupid question. If I went with a stroker crank, can I use the piston I have now?

If its a mild stroke then yes, you can reuse your piston.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.