Shout Box

...loading shoutbox...

Author Topic: 4x4 Raptor  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Livingmylife93

• Street Cred: 1
  • Ride Hard, Crash Harder, Laugh The Hardest
    • Email
4x4 Raptor
« on: November 17, 2008, 04:46:40 PM »
Dirtwheels is always talking about how Yamaha should/may be making a 4x4 Raptor 700.

Why would Yamaha do this? That is what the Wolverine is for, maybe they should bump the cc's up on that.

Personally i think the Raptor is strictly a sport quad and should stay that way!

Opinions?

Offline exentix

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
Re: 4x4 Raptor
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 04:50:12 PM »
it would pretty much ruin th raptor makin it a 4x4  :mad: i agree with the  bore wolvy idea tho  :thumbs:

Offline Livingmylife93

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:53:40 PM »
exactly. even if they offered it as an option, i think it would still ruin the raptor name.

Offline exentix

• Street Cred: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:56:14 PM »
yea thats why i say upgrade the wolvy, just the idea of a 4wd raptor sounds gay

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
There is demand for a true sport 4x4.  The best we have now are the anemic wolverine and expensive renegades, both of which are essentially utility quads without racks.  Both have utility powerplants and drivetrains and the weight and handling show it.

While I'm not sure the 700R is really the best platform for such a machine and I know that the price would make KTM's look cheap there is certainly a lot to be said for such a machine.  The polaris outlaw isn't impressive to me with IRS, but as a 4x4 with a good powerplant that would have me thinking.

Offline monster757

• Street Cred: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »
I don't get it. If they want to make a sport/utility and make it so it isnt 600 lbs. why don't they make the wolverine with a 660 motor, manual 5 or 6 speed. I would own a wolverine if it didnt have that gay  :mad: automatic transmission. I hate them.

Offline Colorado700R

• Always the big spoon!
  • Admin Pimp
  • Street Cred: 50
  • Carpe Cerevisi!!! (Sieze the beer!!)
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 06:18:38 PM »
I would like to see a wolvy 4x4 with a yfz, or rappy 700 motor.  Even in automatic, that could be fun  :grin_nod:

Offline Livingmylife93

• Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 06:20:05 PM »
Agreed.

A true sport 4x4 would be nice, just not a raptor!

Offline russ-russ

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 10
  • I am Epic Win.
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 06:38:41 PM »
The first gen. wolvy was a cool machine, just needed more gittyup.  That basic machine with a 450 fuel injected motor and updated suspension would be a killer ride.

Offline Krandall

• Führer
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 1337
  • Dracus II
    • Yamaha Raptor Forum
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
I think it could be cool, like MD said. The only option out there is the pricey Renegade. If someone else jumped on the bandwagon maybe the price would come down a bit all around. 8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Offline Peelz

• Sugar Cookie
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 54
  • food makes me sick
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:54:16 PM »
Make the wolvey with a stronger motor, but keep it light...and cheaper than a renegade, it will rule the roost. IRS would be OK as well

Thinking they could use the FI motor from the 550 grizz! :thumbs:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 10:57:10 PM »
There is demand for a true sport 4x4.  The best we have now are the anemic wolverine and expensive renegades, both of which are essentially utility quads without racks.  Both have utility powerplants and drivetrains and the weight and handling show it.

While I'm not sure the 700R is really the best platform for such a machine and I know that the price would make KTM's look cheap there is certainly a lot to be said for such a machine.  The polaris outlaw isn't impressive to me with IRS, but as a 4x4 with a good powerplant that would have me thinking.

I really like the Polaris with IRS. As a matter of fact I like it so much I found this for my next raptor....
http://www.sonicoffroad.com/Atv%20IRS.html

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Gunz

• My body is your wonderland
  • SiteAdmin
  • Street Cred: 36
    • Dent Source
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
I would like to see a wolvy 4x4 with a yfz, or rappy 700 motor.  Even in automatic, that could be fun  :grin_nod:

Yeah ditto. Have any of guys driven the KFX700 or CanAm800, those babys are fun as hell. Wolverine with raptor 700 and auto. I would buy one yesterday.

Dent Source LLC

941 +10 w/bar

Offline Warren

• VIP
  • Street Cred: 4
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2008, 04:56:51 AM »
a 4X4 rappy would be stupid if you ask me. i agreed it would ruin the quad for sure.

i also agree that yamaha should just update the wolverine. slap in a 700R engine, piggy back shocks, a wider stance and a locking front diff. and i think that would be a mean son of a bitch right there.
:( USED TO HAVE:
07 700R raptor SE (black & orange)
DG nerf bars (black, thanks bmust)
custom engine skid, and A-arm gaurds (Thanks bmust)
custom made grab bar & fender mounts (black)
tusk billet gas cap (black)
OMI stem mount
razr2's
Barkers (black)
PCIII
FCI with box
+3 TB

Offline Mad Dog

• Grand Masta Sexy
  • VIP
  • Street Cred: 24
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 05:23:28 AM »
The first gen. wolvy was a cool machine, just needed more gittyup.  That basic machine with a 450 fuel injected motor and updated suspension would be a killer ride.

Exactly, the first gen was like a warrior with 4wd.  Add a better motor and a little better suspension and you're set.

Make the wolvey with a stronger motor, but keep it light...and cheaper than a renegade, it will rule the roost. IRS would be OK as well

Thinking they could use the FI motor from the 550 grizz! :thumbs:

Then you've got a slightly more powerful heavy utility quad without racks.  The current wolverine is heavy with the wrong type of chassis, wrong type of motor, and wrong type of transmission.  Adding another utility motor with 120 more cc would make it better but it's not going to be anything close to what constitutes a "sport" 4x4.

I really like the Polaris with IRS. As a matter of fact I like it so much I found this for my next raptor....
http://www.sonicoffroad.com/Atv%20IRS.html

Then buy a Polaris, it's cheaper than a new quad and that kit.

a 4X4 rappy would be stupid if you ask me. i agreed it would ruin the quad for sure.

i also agree that yamaha should just update the wolverine. slap in a 700R engine, piggy back shocks, a wider stance and a locking front diff. and i think that would be a mean son of a bitch right there.

You can sink thousands into suspension on a utility quad, the handling gets better but it's nowhere near that of even a big bore sport quad.