Rear Axle / Front End Question for Ice racing

Started by Krandall, October 24, 2008, 09:16:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SULLY0556

We were swapping my buddies tires on his WR450 to his winter studs Friday night,  Just putting the chain over the sproket when the bead let go and the tire blew off the rim.  Scared the crap out of us both and ruined a $375 tire.  :mad:   He must have damaged it when taking it off last spring and we didn't catch it when we were putting it on.  Lucky for us no one got hurt.   I hate dirt bikes!!   :lol:
   I've got the cleanest and warmest garage of the bunch so I now have 3 bikes and 2 quads in my garage with one more bike coming this week to set up.  :lol:
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

Krandall

Nice!!!

sucks about the snow.  but at least you got the ice :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

We'll be riding this weekend,  4" of fresh stuff today.  :clap:
06 700R with:
Big black tires, Lots of shiny metal stuff, some stinky oily stuff inside, AM/FM 8-track hi-fi system, Leopard skin seat cover, Fuzzy dice, curb feelers, a "soccer mom" license plate, and a "my other bike's a Bayou" bumper sticker.

al2fast

I cannot believe it took me so long to stumble upon this thread!  I am wanting to stud my tires and ride some ice.  Zippers are fun on the snow, but they are only good in a straight line.  The atv gear place up the road has "take off" tires that they sell for 30 bucks a tire.  Also have a set of holeshot H-D's that have a good amount of meat on them yet too.  Need an excuse to buy new tires, so the H-D's may get it.  Dunno which way to go.  Do you run an 18" tire or is 20" or taller better?

Sully, where exactly are you located?  I'm just south of Green Bay.  I'd love to get out and give it a whirl.  I'm not all hardcore and lowered and widened, but always looking for a way to get some more seat time in, especially in the winter!

Awesome info guys!

SULLY0556

Welcome!!    I run 18" rears along with most of the quads,  I think Holeshots would work well with an "x" pattern in them.  Keep the studs spaced apart as far as possible on each log to prevent clogging.  Keep the studs off the pavement, cement, and dirt or they'll be junk!!!

We're in Iron Mountain and company is always welcome!  We also head down to FonDuLac and ride on the big lake a few times a year which is a blast!  P/M me for a phone number and we'll hook up.   :thumbs:
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

Well, We'll be plowing the track tomorrow  :clap:  Last weekend was a bust since all the snow blew off the lake.  6+" of ice now so we should be plenty safe. :thumbs:   I'll try to post up some pics Monday.

Sully
06 700R with:

Krandall

Have a great time Sully!!!! Looking forward to your guys pics!!! They are always awesome!

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

SULLY0556

First weekend out!  :clap:    Plowed for 2 hours Saturday (left the Rappy home) but a few guys tried out the track.  Came back Sunday and rode with about 9 bikes.  We only did the outside track and will add the technical stuff on the inside when we het better ice.   It was FAST!!!
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

06 700R with:

SULLY0556

I had the camera so no action shots of me on the bike.  :(
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

06 700R with:

SULLY0556

Note Mark's flowing PINK scarf, What a goof!!    We even had some slammers out for the day.   :D
06 700R with:

SULLY0556

Now for the Rappy report.

-2 swing-arm:  She cornered a little better but still broke traction if I got on it too hard on the sharp corners.  I had a little too much air in the rear tires but left it since it was my first weekend out.  I thought it would make a bigger difference but I can raise my front end up a bit for more back traction now, I'll also scale the bike this week to see where I'm at on each tire.  All in all that was a good mod, I'm definately faster than last year already.

Widened and lowered front end:  Loved it!!  I felt totally solid in all situations and steering was just fine.

Cut seat:  Love it!  My ass stayed right where I wanted it at all times, My arms didn't get tired at all from pulling myself back up on the bike.  :)   Everyone was checking that mod out!  :thumbs:

Heated grips and gauntlets:  This was BY FAR the best improvement!!  I ran with no gloves at all and my hands were toasty.  You can get a much better feel for the bike without big winter gloves and you can ride forever if your hands never get cold.  My only issue was my new snowmobile helmets visor kept fogging up but I'll work that out this week.  Gauntlets pulled a little in the corners making it hard to find the throttle when I had riding gloves on, I wish the arm-holes were a bit bigger but I'll get used to it.

All in all it was a good first ride and I'll have a few things to tweak before next Sunday.

Sully
06 700R with:

Peelz

Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Krandall

Thats awesome Sully! Sounds like an EXCELLENT time out there!!!! Had a great weekend for riding too. Wish I could have played! :)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here: