Skid Gaurds?

Started by Colorado700R, May 14, 2008, 03:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SandDragon

Brad is/was working on skid plates for the longarms.  Contact him... or talk to him at the rally.  :batman:

socalrappy700

Quote from: SandDragon on May 31, 2008, 08:17:23 AM
Brad is/was working on skid plates for the longarms.  Contact him... or talk to him at the rally.  :batman:

But you don't need skids do you?  You're a sand man now.
07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

fire raptor

I use Pro Armor complete under the quad , full skids and
A-arms. I have cracked the front a-arm guards and the Pro armor front bumper is cracked and bent as are the mounts. Baja is the only place I ride it destroys the Quad , your body and mind. Rocks lots of rocks !!!

Headrope

GYT-R all around. They've saved my Raptor from everything my heavy butt has ridden over and have never rattled loose.

I have had one of the clamps break that holds the engine/frame plate on. Yamaha Motors Inc. doesn't seem to sell those individually but the customer service department is looking in to it for me. Even with the broken clamp no rattles.

The first run engine/skid plates had the oil drain hole in the wrong spot. One of my quads has that one. Removing the plate to change the oil isn't convenient but only takes an extra minute to do. And I've found all sorts of little rocks and sticks shoved up there so now I pull the good plate off the other quad during oil changes as well.
Two '06 700R SEs

Both with:                                          One also with:                   
GYT-R Sport front grab bar                   GYT-R Swingarm guard
GYT-R Engine/frame skid plate             GYT-R Nerf bars
GYT-R A-arm guards                           OMI Steering stem mount
GYT-R Aluminum radiator guard            ODI Lock-on grips

quiksilverz71

09 Raptor 700 (Blue)
Flexx Bars/ODI Grips/AVS Levers/Quad Tech Seat
PC5/Pro Design/Barker Duals
Hiper Tech 3/ITP GNCC Tires
Pro Amor Skids/Precision Stabilizer/HIDS

06 Raptor 700 (Gray)
PC3, Pro Design Intake, ODI Grips
07 GYTR Front Shocks,AVS Levers
Pro Armor Skids/Precision Stabilizer

Flynbyu

I own ProArmor nerf bars. Pro Armor didn't produce skids for my bike 5 years ago.

~Brian
2003 Yamaha Raptor

Yamaha Raptor Forum

preddy08

I have PRM belly and swinger skids.

So far i dont much like them, I ripped the rear swingarm off on the first rocky trip i took.

The belly plate is kinda a joke. It stocks out past the frame in the front near the bumper, so when you try to lift the quad to sit it on the grab bar, it gets caught on your pants and GERD save me if I dare let it rest on my knee. The mounting system of the belly plate is a bit confusing!!!!!! Took me about an hour to put on. Hell I can install a big bore kit in about the same time!
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

S.K.700r

2 mounths after i got my bike this happend.then i got some scrape alum and fabed my own belly skid . but i got all the outhers from prm. got some hard rubber and cut out washers so no rattle.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Colorado700R

Ouch!!!  That sucks!!!!

:'(

TimelessR1

I'm going to have to disagree with the Pro Armor belly skids  -1

they look awesome...and are just as thick as most of the competition out there. Their one main flaw is the installation. They designed it that you have to install their spacing washers between the skid and the frame! Ok...great...how do you hold the fckn washers in place withthe skid in place? Duh...horrible desgin. They shold have taken the extra time and weld those space washers onto the skid. So now you have to tape them in place then line up the holes and then stick the screws in!

I've been runing Armidillo bellys and swing arms skids for the last 2 1/2 years and have held up amazingly...and not to mention take about 15 mins less to install then the pro armor (which i decided to try once)

fire raptor

I ran a small piece of duct tape over the spacer to hold it in place until the bolt went thru. You could also silicone the spacer and let it dry before the install .

paul20v

i glued my spacers on my pro armours  ;)

TimelessR1

yeah there are things you can do to hold those spacers in place while installing..but my point is...thats a design flaw....they should be welded in place..thats what would make it a great product. The only thing the pro armour has going for it is its cool design cut...put unless your flying over everyones head to see...its wasted on smahing in to rocks.  give me a strong plate that installs, and un installs easily..and that wins in my book

thatguy

Quote from: BRAD on May 14, 2008, 10:11:51 PM
i have the ROCK skids from Motosport.com so far they have held up great. they just rattle like crazy at about half throttle
???thats funny i got those to and mine have never seemed to rattle once

Pile0g00

Quote from: TimelessR1 on June 19, 2008, 01:49:59 PM
I'm going to have to disagree with the Pro Armor belly skids  -1

they look awesome...and are just as thick as most of the competition out there. Their one main flaw is the installation. They designed it that you have to install their spacing washers between the skid and the frame! Ok...great...how do you hold the fckn washers in place withthe skid in place? Duh...horrible desgin. They shold have taken the extra time and weld those space washers onto the skid. So now you have to tape them in place then line up the holes and then stick the screws in!

I've been runing Armidillo bellys and swing arms skids for the last 2 1/2 years and have held up amazingly...and not to mention take about 15 mins less to install then the pro armor (which i decided to try once)
I think they all use spacers.  I know my GYTR do, but they came with a little plastic thing that slides over the bolts to hold them in place.  I lost one of those, so now I just put a bit of tape on the bolt to keep it in place.

If your GYTR do not have a hole for the skid make one...
Here are some quotes from another forum :lol:
Quote from: pile0g00I drilled the hole in my skid a couple of nights ago. I used booms idea of a crayon. I Broke the crayon to the right length put it through the center of the hole, under the drain bolt, and smashed the tip of it into the skid. I then removed the skid and drilled a hole using a 38mm hole saw. It took me about 10-15 min to have it all done(start to finish), it looks like any of the other holes and lines up perfectly
Quote from: ChiknNutzI just got mine and I found it easier to just measure it out. FYI, if you measure 2" from each of the adjacent mounting holes, then make mark where the arc of each measurement intersects, that is where you put the hole. I used a 1-1/4" dia hole saw...looks about right to me.
Here is a picture: