Compression truth! Lipstick on a pig?

Started by Kenny, September 11, 2008, 08:30:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kenny

Quote from: Bert on September 11, 2008, 01:10:28 PM
Kenny, have you ever measured a stock piston Yamaha claims @ 9.2/1
Yes. The factory piston has a 9cc dish, it sits .050" below deck and when combined with a head gasket .028" thick, comes up to EXACTLY 9.2:1 :thumbs: I will give you an example of piston differences. The first piston is a Wiseco. Notice how the valve reliefs negate some of the dome, which obviously doesn't fit the shape of the chamber. This piston sits .050" in the hole just like stock.

Notice my 11:1 piston (on the right), even though the valve reliefs are much larger than the Wiseco, the corrected deck height requires much less dome for MORE compression :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154
Paypal: kenny@swva.net

:satan:

Colorado700R

Good talking to you again Kenny  :thumbs:

Per the manual the stock 9.2-1 equates to a standard sea-level pressure of 450 kPa (4.5 kg/cm2, 64.0 psi), so I think we could use that as a baseline when we get your pistons installed to create a PSI graph so the average joe can test their PSI and compare results and approximate their "true" compression ratio.

Aaron

Colorado700R

Like we discussed, the cam, valve lash, and piston ring conditions may very the results, but at a minimum cylinder pressure should be a helper guide fuel octane considerations correct?

Kenny

KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

preddy08

Kenny, so does that mean us guys with the "14:1" pistons could get away with a half and half mix of race gas since they are only 12.8:1?
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

exentix

wow  ??? my freakin brain hurts now...

lol i think i get some of this but not really  :lol:

Kenny

Quote from: preddy08 on September 15, 2008, 06:42:50 PM
Kenny, so does that mean us guys with the "14:1" pistons could get away with a half and half mix of race gas since they are only 12.8:1?

Not necessarily.... Look what happens as you tighten up the quench .010" and shave the head .040". This is a 12.5:1 example:

KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

socalrappy700

07 SE2

~Erich

Yamaha Raptor Forum

NaturalRaptor

Great info Kenny!   :thumbs:   I feel like Kelly Bundy where I need to forget something in order to learn something new!   ;)
It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.

Peelz

Quote from: NaturalRaptor on September 16, 2008, 08:49:35 AM
Great info Kenny!   :thumbs:   I feel like Kelly Bundy where I need to forget something in order to learn soemthing new!   ;)

:lol:  great analogy :thumbs: I still feel like "the guy in scanners when his head blew up" :rofl:
Krandall: "peelz. I'll be real with you. As much as I hate on you for soccer, I really don't mind it"

Kenny

I don't think I have done a very good job of turning this into digestible bites. I promise it isn't as hard as I make it look. Just hang with me, and as soon as I can get my sick ass off the couch and think clearly, I will get you guys some "good" understandable info :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154

1FST690

Other than the obvious difference being 4 valves vs 5, are the pin heights and ring lands the same between a 660 and 700? Would it be posible to take a 700 uncut piston and make a 5 valve 660 piston out of it? I have a friend that owns Issco Man. which does nothing but CNC out airplane parts all day? I really need a 15+:1 piston. Do you have any sudgestions?
04 686 Duner
02 NMR 650+ modified "High Mainenance"
02 Scrambler 500
02 Sportsman 500HO ( For Sale )

bamaquad

Quote from: Kenny on September 16, 2008, 08:10:42 PM
I don't think I have done a very good job of turning this into digestible bites. I promise it isn't as hard as I make it look. Just hang with me, and as soon as I can get my sick ass off the couch and think clearly, I will get you guys some "good" understandable info :thumbs:

We want more little neat parts to put on to go along with the info.

VelociRaptor

Actually the Wiseco dome fits better than any piston Ive used, dont have to clearance the chamber sides to keep the dome from hitting when milling the cylinder. :)

Kenny

Quote from: VelociRaptor on September 18, 2008, 06:55:17 PM
Actually the Wiseco dome fits better than any piston Ive used, dont have to clearance the chamber sides to keep the dome from hitting when milling the cylinder. :)
I think the Wiseco piston is a good budget piston, but the dome sucks. I haven't had any issues at all when milling the cylinder for correct deck height. But it is definitely preferable to have a piston that is designed correctly from the start. The price of milling the cylinder and flycutting for valve clearance make my piston seem a lot less expensive. Especially when you consider the Wiseco is made from 4032 material, and my piston is 2618 which is far stronger. I don't think the Wiseco is gonna stand up to squeezing things real tight. You really need to pay close attention to the wall clearance when you are running a motor hard. :thumbs:
KDS Racing
685 Hope Rd
Floyd VA 24091
NEW PHONE 540-818-9154