FN head gasket

Started by PDX Raptor, August 26, 2008, 02:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDX Raptor

Last weekend I noticed my fan coming on and it was only about 70 outside. I checked my coolant and it went from just under full to about half and inch over the full line. I have about 10hrs on this gasket. Anyway I am going to hauser this weekend and was wondering if it will be ok to run it for the weekend before fixing the gasket? I have some other questions also;
Should I use an OEM gasket? I have a cosmetic on there now.
I have a JE 11:1 piston. Could it be the crappy surface area that is causing my problem?
Kenny you got any 11:1's left?
Charlie

double06

Welcome to the "I blow a head gasket every weekend" club!  I think I'm the club president or at least a senior memeber.  :mad:
I got a '06 with some KDS Racing bells and whistles  :grin_nod:

preddy08

Quote from: double06 on August 26, 2008, 02:30:59 PM
Welcome to the "I blow a head gasket every weekend" club!  I think I'm the club president or at least a senior memeber.  :mad:

Are you blowing it out the overflow tank, or using it from the radiator? If you are replacing it I would use stock replacement yamaha gaskets if you are stock bore.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

double06

I'm blowing it out the overflow.  I'm stock bore and have been threw two yama gaskets and head bolts.  Ima have Kenny check me out to see why I'm all ate up and can't get right.  ::)

PDX Raptor

I need to do more checking, but I am pretty sure I lost a little from the overflow tank. My main concern is burning up the engine this weekend. Also If it was coming from the radiator wouldn't my overflow bottle be low after the bike cooled down. I don't unstand why the overflow is high even after cool down. Shouldn't the coolant recirc back into the radiator after the bike cools down?
Charlie

Bert

Can  a "catch bottle" be used on the overflow tube to guarantee the coolant is puking out?

Krandall

If you pull it apart again, it may be worth giving either Kenz or Rocket Factory a call. They have direct 9mm upgraded bolt replacements so you can torque it down a bit more. 8)

Otherwise. May be worth going o-ring. :grin_nod:

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

Sand84

2009 Raptor 700- D7 :turbo: :satan:

Custom Carbon Creations

One stop shop for Carbon Covers for Raptor 700!!!

double06

Yup, taking it to Kenny next weekend.  That'll fix it!

Krandall

Quote from: Sand84 on August 27, 2008, 06:11:53 PM
Or Kenny for 9mm Bolts :thumbs:

oh, I didn't know his FINALLY came out.  :lol:

Kenny Rocks.  8)

Sponsored by:
Yamaha Raptor Forum

PCIII Maps Here:
http://www.krandall.com

Cowards die many times before their deaths The valiant never taste of death but once

air

Stock head gaskets are really easy to screw up.  If you slide the head at all it can damage the rubber part of the gasket and make it leak.  I have personally done this . :loser:
Rusty

preddy08

Quote from: air on August 28, 2008, 08:58:28 AM
Stock head gaskets are really easy to screw up.  If you slide the head at all it can damage the rubber part of the gasket and make it leak.  I have personally done this . :loser:

I am counting my lucky stars and knocking on wood daily that my HG is still holding. Not only is it 14.1 compression, it's a 727.
Just a little 81hp trail bike.

TechQuadShop

I would pull it apart and use some Permatex copper spray gasket on both sides then reseal it.  I have done this to get me through the weekend and sometimes it holds up fine.  But I would not run it all weekend how it stands.

If you want me to get you a gasket overnighted I can do that as well but will need you to call within the next couple hours.

RAPTORSOURCE.COM #1 PLACE FOR BARKER AND MONSTER DUALS, PC3'S, INTAKES, AND MUCH MORE

For all of your aftermarket Raptor needs Call Tech Quad Shop @ 530-938-3985

PDX Raptor

Getting a gasket is not a problem.....finding time to pull the bike apart before Friday night is.
Charlie

Bert

Quote from: PDX Raptor on August 28, 2008, 01:13:56 PM
Getting a gasket is not a problem.....finding time to pull the bike apart before Friday night is.
Good Luck PDX.  :thumbs:

Awesome sponsors  :clap: